Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
My issue with this is the "Mechanical Error" policy as a whole.

I can understand charging $20+ for a new casing, as many might want the new trendy label, or simply have their comic look as nice as possible. But to enforce that on subs after a 14 day policy, or just simply enforce it on those who bought said comic from said sub? No thanks.

If the debris is a mechanical error, the re-casing should be free regardless of who owns it. Everything else could be charged since the removal of that $20 is a better policy-based move. Especially if the buyer had help from a family or friend, or even preordered it from an online comic shop.

Plus, as a follow-up to what @DrWatson is saying, the only reason why I would pick up a CGC graded 9.4-9.6 is simply because there are no CBCS 9.4-9.8 copies of what I want for sale.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Retired_11B private msg quote post Address this user
My last order had 3 with the wrong information on them.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
You're on the clock: 13 days, 18 hours, 23 minutes to get it back to CGC. Go!
(side note: hope you're the submitter; otherwise do not pass Go)

Such a wonderful policy.
What a great company.
They're just the best. I can't say it enough times.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The strange thing is the Newton ring thing barely even bothers me anymore.
It's like getting hit over the head with a pipe - eventually you get used to it or one is brain damaged.
I think I'm both, with respect to Newton Rings.

What still absolutely boils my head is the cracks and damage.
It's like every damn shipment.
Every.

Damages in any venue of commerce is unacceptable. Completely unacceptable
I deal with it immediately and call immediately, and get a return label immediately, but that's just because I have OCD in dealing with problems right away as they happen.
I feel for those that for some reason will not be able to or cannot.

Best way to avoid cracked slabs is to limit each invoice to 10 books.

A 10 book per invoice means that 10 book invoice will be shipped in a box that weighs under 20 pounds; , which means those 10 slabs will be shipped in CGC’s “standard shipping kit box”.

The next size up box is IIRC,fits close to 50 pounds worth of slabs.

The average worker is going to be heavy handed with a box weighing close to 50 pounds.

All there is protecting those slabs in a 50 pound box (or a 10 book slab box) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 of cardboard.

The inner cardboard buffer on the Bottom of those boxes is just under an inch thick but it is NOT dense cardboard.

One drop on a corner of the box from waist level can crack a handful of slabs.

Then at the next delivery point, say it gets dropped again- 💥, now upwards of half the slabs in the box are cracked.

I recall getting about 30 slabs from CGC in one box via ups ground back in 2016.

These were different boxes, and much better constructed with bubble wrap and a cardboard insert between every slab. Also, those were pre 4/4/20-6 holders- those slabs are considerably lighter than the bricks that CGC has used since 4/2016.

None of those slabs were cracked or had newton rings.

Soon as CGC switched over to their “shipping kit” style shipping boxes, I switched over to 10 books per invoice.

Far as Newton Rings, they will continue to be a problem, unless CGC redesigns their holders.

That should not fall onto the submitter- I can understand CHC not reholdering every slab with newton rings on them but slabs that are covered with newton rings are an eyesore and that hurts marketability of a book.

Again, if the 2020-21 bubble was still flowing strong, then okay, CGC could pass the buck on newton rings onto the submitter because the submitter could AFFORD to eat reholdwr costs.

Not the case anymore, on the majority of books.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
In the end, the prisms are not part of the comic, so they are not part of the grade. Buyers are going to have to trust the brand to have the comic that matches the grade sticker, regardless of slab condition. Will buyers trust them and keep buying? Do you trust the grade of the comic in the slab matches the label? Or verify yourself raw?
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychunn
In the end, the prisms are not part of the comic, so they are not part of the grade. Buyers are going to have to trust the brand to have the comic that matches the grade sticker, regardless of slab condition. Will buyers trust them and keep buying? Do you trust the grade of the comic in the slab matches the label? Or verify yourself raw?

Most books will sell for much more if slabbed opposed to raw.

But they can’t be oil slicked up, collectors DGAF if it’s light refractions that don’t effect the grade- they pay a premium for slabbed books and the eye appeal of the slabbed book is a big factor in that premium.

I primarily do not buy slabbed books, I dry clean/press books and get them slabbed for resale.

I primarily buy raw books off eBay in lots from people who generally are not comic dealers.

Or raw books via BIN, off of saved want list searches; books that would sell for much more if listed in auction format.

I put the time in hunting for books on eBay, 99% of collectors do not do that.

Lot auction buys and BIN saved search notifications is how I get virtually all of the raws I buy from eBay.

But again, am not representative of the typical slabbed book buyer.

The average buyer of CGC slabs generally doesn’t have a good grasp on grading, and generally will pass by books with newton rings- even if they are sold in auction format.

This means the submitter, whom is most of the times a dealer and not the end point buyer/collector, will have to either sell cracked slabs and newton ringed up slabs either at a big discount via BIN or let them rip in auction, for significantly lower realized auction hammer prices.

Alternatively, the dealer will eat the cost of reholdering and the time spent on that process.

This is not sustainable, especially for smaller dealers, like myself.

That’s why you see Instagram and Whatnot growing to compete with eBay.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Apparently, there is a fix for the rings using a piece of mylar. Haven’t tried it myself and not sure how long the fix lasts.
Post 57 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Apparently, there is a fix for the rings using a piece of mylar. Haven’t tried it myself and not sure how long the fix lasts.
Ive done it with a strip of a back board. Slide it in the side and it separates the inner well from plastic. It doesn’t seem to last long as everything just relaxes back to the way it was. I suppose if you get books out to display for a little while it could relax a fella until they put it back in its box?????
Post 58 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumetheliving
Newton rings should not be accepted on any level. CGC is the "gold" standard and demands a premium in value on the second-hand market. Yet they can't figure out a simple issue with their inner sleeve material???
you’d think. Even PGX can slab a book without the Newton rings. Maybe it’s luck of the draw, but I personally have seen more CGC slabs with newton ring than without and I pass on them immediately. I made the mistake of buying a gift-graded 9.4 that had Newton rings and hated it; it just looked like trash on top of the sour grapes of buyer’s remorse.

I think there is a good reason for Newton’s Rings. It has to do with the tamper evident sealing / how aggressive they are to minimize gaps and access.

There is an evident tradeoff between the tamper proof/tolerances and mitigating the contact of the plastics. I assume they can eliminate the rings but at a cost.

They aren’t making a decision to cause returns/“issues” unless there was a material and real cost to the alternative. The current state of things has a cost.

For me, the tradeoff makes sense. Of course too many rings/distortions are distracting and take away from presentation. But I already find both major companies’ slabs less than ideal in terms of presentation.
Post 59 IP   flag post
With all the innovation, invention, and engineering marvels; particularly in the last 100 years, it is fascinating to me that the incompetent, bozo the clown organization down there in Sarasota can't hire an engineer or two to resolve this after 20 something years.

I am dumbfounded by the sheer incapability and ineptitude.
Post 60 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps they already have a solution but it adds $3 per slab.

Dealing with returns may cost them $1 per slab.

Question is if it impacts demand (harder for them to measure).

Look at it another way. Are CBCS slabs as tamper evident as CGC? If not, why not?

The answer is the flip side of the same question.
Post 61 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
With all the innovation, invention, and engineering marvels; particularly in the last 100 years, it is fascinating to me that the incompetent, bozo the clown organization down there in Sarasota can't hire an engineer or two to resolve this after 20 something years.

I am dumbfounded by the sheer incapability and ineptitude.

It appears things have gone batty!
Post 62 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Ive done it with a strip of a back board. Slide it in the side and it separates the inner well from plastic. It doesn’t seem to last long as everything just relaxes back to the way it was. I suppose if you get books out to display for a little while it could relax a fella until they put it back in its box?????

I think a strip of mylar is the better approach. The backer board could tear apart and leave debris inside the slab.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Perhaps they already have a solution but it adds $3 per slab.

Dealing with returns may cost them $1 per slab.

Question is if it impacts demand (harder for them to measure).

Look at it another way. Are CBCS slabs as tamper evident as CGC? If not, why not?

The answer is the flip side of the same question.

I understand Financials. I'm in big business and have been for 40 years in manufacturing, engineering, and PMO.
The issue is there's competition in a normal business environment.
They've been operating unabated and they just don't give a shit because people still go to them because it makes financial sense for hobbyists. With many slabs nearing raw values for common books, and the volume of their mechanical errors I hope to god they lose significant market share. Incompetence, constant damages and their lack of integrity has finally hit a head.
They better solve their real issues now because my $1 is going elsewhere now
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:

Such a wonderful policy.
What a great company.

I had my presser send them back immediately. My name isn't on the order, he presses and then submits them for me. Charges less than the companies do, plus he is very efficient at it.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user

Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_11B
Quote:

Such a wonderful policy.
What a great company.

I had my presser send them back immediately. My name isn't on the order, he presses and then submits them for me. Charges less than the companies do, plus he is very efficient at it.

Yep - I'm in the same boat as you with my presser submitting under his account. I guess I can't handle the breakages and returns without involving the presser now. Just utter ridiculousness.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_11B
Quote:

Such a wonderful policy.
What a great company.

Yep - I'm in the same boat as you with my presser submitting under his account. I guess I can't handle the breakages and returns without involving the presser now. Just utter ridiculousness.

lol...soooo..how long before pressers say they've had enough and stop returning them for customers?
If the issue is as pervasive as it seems they will have to devote time/effort to dealing with this taking away from their actual business - can't see them doing it for long
Post 68 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 69 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Pretty simple solution to the Newton Ring problem; submit books to CBCS instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
"Newton Rings not a problem!", says the only company that has them.

That made me laugh out loud!

Sometimes its better to be just thought ignorant on a subject, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Newton Rings are NOT exclusive to just CGC. There are plenty of CBCS slabs with newton rings as well.

4 out of the 9 slabs I just got back from CBCS had small newton rings on then.

These CGC smear threads are always ridiculously stupid.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Just posted the CGC board and made my position clear in respect to their new Newton Ring policy. That said, I stopped short of suggesting they're the Exxon Valdez of grading services.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Pretty simple solution to the Newton Ring problem; submit books to CBCS instead.

Quote:

Sometimes its better to be just thought ignorant on a subject, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Newton Rings are NOT exclusive to just CGC. There are plenty of CBCS slabs with newton rings as well.

Newton Rings are a smear tactic unto themselves. FTR, it isn't stupid to point out a bad policy. While I don't question the veracity of claiming there are CBCS graded books with NR, I've never seen any. What I have seen are CGC graded books with NR that I'd never consider buying and as a HG-GA collector, that ain't chicken feed. In spite of all that, I intend my criticisms to be constructive. I would still buy CGC graded books without NR just as I'd buy CBCS graded books. It isn't personal, it's aesthetics.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 Was thinking... when i send to my presser, i might order the grading and give my presser my grading receipts so when he sends the pressed books in for me, they get submitted with my receipts/under my account.

That might be the solution.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics they wont stop. they'll just say "$5 return fee".
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
they get submitted with my receipts/under my account.

Yes, this is an option.

Here's the problem I have with this approach
My submissions to CGC under my presser's account - 15% off every comic graded
My submissions to CGC under my account - No discount

I get the comics directly shipped to me so I am the direct recipient of the graded comics. Shipment directly to My home address. There is no middle man that gets all the comics from various clients and re-distributes them to the various clients. I should be able to call customer service if I have breakages and cracks; not my presser.

Why the F does my presser need to get involved?
With their current rate of damages seen (I'm not even considering Newton Rings; just good ol fashioned destruction of product), this poor guy is going to be involved every single shipment; from every single client

And finally, they deserve a smear campaign when they make decisions that Bozo, Emmit Kelly, and Clarabelle would make. They need to fix the root cause of the recent systemic breakages and damage (again, not even speaking about newton rings)
Post 75 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 If you submit enough, you might want to upgrade your membership to qualify for the 15% off yourself. Plus you get that credit that helps defer the cost of the upgrade

All you other points are valid.
Post 76 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 When mine return to the presser, it is to his building where he is. Most of the time I cannot be home when they deliver, and I really don't feel like driving to the FedEx or UPS store to do a pick up. And if I am traveling, I know my books are being taken care of.

As far as the NR issue, I have some with a slight issue, but it doesn't really distract me. My issue, is the mislabeling of the titles you send in. There needs to be better QC.
Post 77 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Even worse when one doesn't take their own advice.
Post 78 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

We now have hundreds of CBCS slabs and not one of them has Newton Rings.

And it wouldn't be a "smear" thread unless there was something to smear them about.
Post 79 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

We now have hundreds of CBCS slabs and not one of them has Newton Rings.

And it wouldn't be a "smear" thread unless there was something to smear them about.

Same....I've got hundreds of cbcs slabs as well and not a single one has newton rings....I've got over a hundred CGC slabs and a high percentage do have newton rings.....it's not a smear campaign when it's true.
Post 80 IP   flag post
601275 180 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?