Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/521998-cgc%E2%80%99s-official-mechanical-errors-returns-policy/#comments

I've had my fair share of complaints about CBCS over the years, but there's a reason I haven't submitted anything to CGC since I got into slabbing and chose CBCS 5 years ago. Thank you CBCS for working on your flaws this past year. Although many mind-blowing mistakes were made, I hope you've settled or are in the process of settling your liabilities. I look forward to the coming years where you set a high bar instead of trying to only be slightly better than a company that has extremely low standards.
Post 1 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
The Newton’s Rings policy makes perfect sense. Though they should make clear that buyers shouldn’t expect something clear. They should also promote more images of books with Newton’s Rings on their website to demonstrate what someone might expect the finished product to look like. Or not. Not like a McD’s burger looks like the photo.

The other errors policy makes sense (requiring submitter be original purchaser) EXCEPT the time restriction. Two weeks is utter BS.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Anything to screw over their customer base. I also don’t use CGC. Why would you want a slab with Newton rings you pay for?

CBCS should have a everyday promotion if you submit a competitors slab you get half off on each slab submitted. I have some old CGC slabs I’d love to get switched over to CBCS slabs.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I especially like the part of being charged for round-trip shipping if you return a slab for a defect but they don't see it as a qualified defect.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I like rainbows.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
This is what companies do that are not as profitable as they need to be.
They transfer their problems/issues over to the consumer and the consumer sorta "indirectly" pays.

All that said, I emailed their CS because I am a consumer that submits under my presser's account to receive a significant grading discount. So I guess now I need to have the presser, who is not involved in any way with damages, return a book for me should it be damaged? (Side Note: Comics are shipped DIRECTLY to me from Sarasota; not the presser's address)

Yea that makes sense.
Post 6 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
It's odd to see CGC continuing to reinforce the reasons we abandoned them, but c'est la vie. The CBCS slabs are way better anyway (but we all know that).
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
What i cant understand is why any of these companies don't have an option that the slabs are scanned when completed and images sent for customer review before its shipped. I.e. customer verifies correctness before posting can occur ( or if they dont respond in 30 days or something )

If returns are becoming a cost issue issue, let the owner quickly review for dumb errors like wrong labels.

Then at least returns would be more about in hand things such as damage in post or newton rings that dont pick up in a scan.
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
What i cant understand is why any of these companies don't have an option that the slabs are scanned when completed and images sent for customer review before its shipped. I.e. customer verifies correctness before posting can occur ( or if they dont respond in 30 days or something )

If returns are becoming a cost issue issue, let the owner quickly review for dumb errors like wrong labels.

Then at least returns would be more about in hand things such as damage in post or newton rings that dont pick up in a scan.

That would be a logistical nightmare. Plus, waiting on customer verification would backlog shipping to the Nth degree.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

That would be a logistical nightmare. Plus, waiting on customer verification would backlog shipping to the Nth degree.

Not to mention the thousands of people who would want to debate the grade they got.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

Not to mention the thousands of people who would want to debate the grade they got.

- Not sure how its a nightmare? Its literally scanned while they are creating the mail form ( or assuming a QC check) and instead of pushing to post and email is sent via a verification platform.

- As noted, you time limit it, so customers have like 15 days or 30 days and then its auto shipped.

- no doubt you will have people complaining about grading, but if policy is clear what verification is for, and they have no legit complaints in 15 days or whatever, its shipped.

- CS will need to be involved regardless as there will always be those who tit-for-tat. But at least it would be without the additional time and costs being debated over for return postage.

To be clear, its purpose would not be to help deal with annoying customers. Those will never go away.

Its so your good customers can get better service and have oppotunity to nip obvious defects early and create a better experience and encourage return business.
Post 12 IP   flag post
likewise there would be evidence of what the slab looked like prior to leaving the shop which would identify problems in pipeline when defect appears at other end.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I understand CGC wanting to curb abuses of its existing mechanical error program but 14 days to identify the error and get the book back into CGC's hands is way too tight.

It takes a while to go through a large submission

Also, some customers could be travelling when the books arrive.

Someone didn't think this through.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I've got plenty of CGC slabs with Newton Rings that I will NOT return for Mechanical/Re-holder. I stopped subbing with them over two years ago. I won't let them handle my comics ever again. So I'm stuck with these 'oil slick' slabs, but I've accepted it. Even when I try to sell those slabs, I warn buyers about them. It probably hurts sales, but I'm not the type to hide stuff from fellow collectors.

CGC can continue to pound sand, as far as I'm concerned.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
I never really wanted to look at the beautiful book, I like the distractions of a fancy label, holo foil sticker, and pretty rainbow rings(the labels and the fancy sticker are cool, but book first for me).🤣🤣🤣
Post 16 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The cgc should start telling people that they are fortunate to receive a slab with Newton rings as that is their exclusive Pride Edition holders given out randomly to only the luckiest of customers.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith There's a real easy fix for this. It's called Quality Control. If THEY inspect the books prior to shipping they wouldn't have to continuously re-slab books at their cost. I mean how difficult is it to look at the book and label and make sure they're the same. They spend time grading the book why can't they look at it prior to shipping to make sure everything is correct.

They obviously only care about their bottom line and this is another example of why people will continue to switch to CBCS.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if the newton rings might be eliminated with a quick wipe of Brillianize or a static eliminating dryer sheet. Since you can invade the storage cavity from the bottom with a 'slim-jim' I wonder if you could get a dryer sheet in there, swept around and back out again. I've seen a lot of rainbow patterns on plastics that were caused by static cling. [edit] Of course the Brillianize would have to be used before closing it up.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
Newton rings should not be accepted on any level. CGC is the "gold" standard and demands a premium in value on the second-hand market. Yet they can't figure out a simple issue with their inner sleeve material???
Post 20 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
wait one of the monst common issues they have (besides label errors) is not even qualified? I guess happens so much they love the extra money it gives.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t worry, the rings are an “optical illusion” 😂
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck

Well, they are certainly “optical” and if we agree you see something that appears to be there (oil/something physical) but isn’t, they are also illusory.
Post 23 IP   flag post
The 14 days is BS but someone may have thought it through. At least for short-term benefit… they figure many people won’t get to it in time, reducing the number of resubs. So a little like keeping the policy but creating a massive exception-through-circumstance. They can point to the policy and many may feel comforted by it but in practice won’t use it.

Similar to the many “lifetime warranties” out there. With all the exclusions but most of all, that post-purchase many/most won’t bother with the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
I understand CGC wanting to curb abuses of its existing mechanical error program but 14 days to identify the error and get the book back into CGC's hands is way too tight.

It takes a while to go through a large submission

Also, some customers could be travelling when the books arrive.

Someone didn't think this through.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty simple solution to the Newton Ring problem; submit books to CBCS instead.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
"Newton Rings not a problem!", says the only company that has them.

That made me laugh out loud!
Post 26 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I forgot to add this...

Post 27 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck

Well, they are certainly “optical” and if we agree you see something that appears to be there (oil/something physical) but isn’t, they are also illusory.

Customer: “I see rainbows in the slab”.

Customer service: “ No, you don’t”.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
You will if you eat these mushrooms
Post 29 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
There is only one reason for this change.

Post 30 IP   flag post
601493 180 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?