Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

"Why Collect Foreign Comics" panel discussion19540

You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm very excited that Motor City Comic Con has invited me to host a panel on collecting foreign comics! This is happening Sunday May 21st and it will be recorded and available on my YouTube channel after.
I'm putting all the content together and wanted to see what all of you would want to see covered in this panel. Anything you've ever wondered about foreign comics, this is the place to ask! Even if the content doesn't make it into the panel, I can try to answer them here.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Are you speaking of the release version of major publishers, or, literally foreign comics like "Points of Villainy" From the publisher ASAP Comics UK, and foreign publishers, or all of the publishers and types that are foreign? Apologies for the rudimentary question. I do think you have an awesome topic!
Post 2 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks! I'll be mostly covering foreign editions of Marvel, DC and some other American publishers, but I will briefly cover original content to other countries as well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics How do foreign editions of Marvel & DC comics compare to US editions in value for same grade.
Example;
Fantastic Four # 100 CBCS 9.4 US Edition FMV ???
Fantastic Four # 100 CBCS 9.4 Foreign Edition FMV ???

Another question:
How do foreign editions from different countries value to each other?
Example;
Fantastic Four # 100 CBCS 9.4 Mexican Edition FMV ???
Fantastic Four # 100 CBCS 9.4 French Edition FMV ???
Fantastic Four # 100 CBCS 9.4 UK Edition FMV ???

Are all foreign editions equal in value or are some counties more valuable than others?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@HotKeyComics How do foreign editions of Marvel & DC comics compare to US editions in value for same grade.
Example;

Another question:
Example;

Are all foreign editions equal in value or are some counties more valuable than others?

Well first no countries are really equal, it really has a big wild west aspect to it, and most countries put out multiple printings of the bigger keys, but I'll assume 1st prints for these.

The Middle East is probably the hardest region overall and its horrible with counterfeits. South Africa might be the hardest overall single country for giving consistent nightmares trying to source any of the big keys.

In most cases you can get foreign equivalents for 10%-50% of the American price.

A few examples exist that command more money than the American, and more are expected to attain that status as awareness grows.
ASM 300 is probably the most well known, the edition from the Phillipines is a nightmare and a waiting list exists among most of the collectors who have been around a while. Raw low grade copies will start at 4 figures regardless of condition.

Then there's non canon examples, like the La Prensa spideys from Mexico. Duran didn't want to kill Gwen when Marvel did so he created an original story where Peter and Gwen got married. the wedding cover issue of that recently sold for $25,000 at one of the major auctions.

So there is no consistent rule among countries or even among keys, each one really has to be examined on its own. This is both a downside and an upside to foreigns imo, as it can make them a little frustrating sometimes for research, but you also never know what you may find during that research and it can lead to some really cool discoveries.

Edit: as far as direct pricing comparison to identical grades, that usually isn't possible. Sales data is usually tough to find on an issue in general, much less a graded copy, if a graded copy even exists at that grade. The best you can usually do is finding the most recent sale of it in any condition, then comparing that to the same condition American sales to get a baseline and going from there.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Thanks! I'll be mostly covering foreign editions of Marvel, DC and some other American publishers, but I will briefly cover original content to other countries as well.

Are you going to discuss how just because a book is a “key” in the USA, it does NOT mean it’s a key everywhere? First Appearances are the big thing here…
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
Quote:

Are you going to discuss how just because a book is a “key” in the USA, it does NOT mean it’s a key everywhere? First Appearances are the big thing here…

I'll be covering that, yep! Many times the demand from American collectors is what will drive the search and demand in other countries on issues that were mostly considered common before.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
The one aspect I've never quite grasped and was wondering if you were going to cover, is the personal nostalgia piece of foreign comics - specifically that nostalgia often is NOT present so one is left with the rarity aspect only. Rarity is a major factor for desire; but nostalgia may not be there.

As an example, if I purchased and read Fantastic Four #167 50x when I was a kid in 1976 I would love that book in a super high grade today to kinda go back in time and have a piece of my childhood. Most of us true collectors go back in time to what made us happy at that time. So along comes a foreign edition of Fantastic Four #167 in say..... Turkish.. and I ask myself why would I want my favorite book in Turkish for a premium? Yeas it's rare, but zero nostalgia for me.

Will that aspect be covered as well because it's something I currently do not comprehend.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 To me it's like a variant cover of something I enjoyed as a kid. The Hulk and Thing speaking Turkish against the FF isn't a huge draw for me, but thinking about the experience someone else had similar to me is kinda cool. I don't have to have it, but it will look nice presented with the US version I grabbed off a spinner years ago. Maybe I'm just so hyper focused on the few books I collect that the variety of foreign editions is appealing. Or it could be the Delta 9... I dunno.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics Do you have any affordable Russian comics? My best friend studied and earned one of his degrees from the University of Leningrad. He also speaks fluently in Italian and French. I bought both Italian and French books from you for him. He really enjoyed them. Now I just need to give him a Russian edition. Maybe do a trade?
Post 10 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Muito interessante @HotKeyComics!

#Gatinha
Post 11 IP   flag post
@nuffsaid111 yeah I'll be covering that aspect too a bit. as Dog said, a lot of it can be the appeal of a cover you love in other variations. Hulk #1 has some of the most beautiful foreign editions out there, using all kinds of different colors for the background that creates some really cool art, especially when put side by side.
Hulk 181 has some great variations as well, with a black and white cover variation of Wolverine from Spain bringing a premium.

@briangreensnips Yep I have a great Russian contact and currently have some cool Russian stuff, the most affordable would be some Hard Boiled from Frank Miller and Moon Knight #1s from last year, then I have stuff all the way up to the first FF in Russia.

@hamistoso I love that EBAL! Those are really undervalued imo, especially with vibrant covers like that. Older DC stuff is really tough, as I would estimate the average ratio of production worldwide for foreign editions is likely 10 to 1 Marvel to DC. That's become a lot closer with moderns but anything before the 80s is TOUGH to get good DC stuff.
Post 12 IP   flag post

This beautiful example from Lebanon is from Sky Ott's collection. He has the largest known foreign collection out there.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Sky probably bought the Lebanese from Henry…I’ve gotten a few comics from him. My main thing is collecting Phantom Stranger appearances from all over. Matthew and I both just got copies of the 70s series issue 34 from the Philippines. I’ve gotten a ton of great Italian books thru both Joe & Dario, as well as a few from others. Koop has helped me with Colombians, although I really want more EPUCOL issues.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Just a reminder for anyone going, this is Sunday at 2pm, hope you can stop by, I'm doing some great giveaways including a German Star Wars 1 and a German Simpsons comic from the personal collection of Bill Morrison!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics ASM 300 PH edition - the 1992 version?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

I don't have one but I do mention it during the cover sets part as the hardest 300 to get currently and show a pic of is so people know the ribbon to look for.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

I don't have one but I do mention it during the cover sets part as the hardest 300 to get currently and show a pic of is so people know the ribbon to look for.

Interesting. I will ask my family in Philippines to start looking
Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics - Wish I could attend. I have about two dozen Arabic comics, all reprinting DC books. Here’s a few that feature Batman on the “back” cover:

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Example;

Another question:
Example;

Well first no countries are really equal, it really has a big wild west aspect to it, and most countries put out multiple printings of the bigger keys, but I'll assume 1st prints for these.

The Middle East is probably the hardest region overall and its horrible with counterfeits. South Africa might be the hardest overall single country for giving consistent nightmares trying to source any of the big keys.

In most cases you can get foreign equivalents for 10%-50% of the American price.

A few examples exist that command more money than the American, and more are expected to attain that status as awareness grows.
ASM 300 is probably the most well known, the edition from the Phillipines is a nightmare and a waiting list exists among most of the collectors who have been around a while. Raw low grade copies will start at 4 figures regardless of condition.

Then there's non canon examples, like the La Prensa spideys from Mexico. Duran didn't want to kill Gwen when Marvel did so he created an original story where Peter and Gwen got married. the wedding cover issue of that recently sold for $25,000 at one of the major auctions.

So there is no consistent rule among countries or even among keys, each one really has to be examined on its own. This is both a downside and an upside to foreigns imo, as it can make them a little frustrating sometimes for research, but you also never know what you may find during that research and it can lead to some really cool discoveries.

Edit: as far as direct pricing comparison to identical grades, that usually isn't possible. Sales data is usually tough to find on an issue in general, much less a graded copy, if a graded copy even exists at that grade. The best you can usually do is finding the most recent sale of it in any condition, then comparing that to the same condition American sales to get a baseline and going from there.

Good advice here.

I’d only add that silver age keys of UK editions, go for at least what US copies go for.

Canadian variants, not so much.

Pence copies, especially in grade, are damn near impossible to find. See the census on any given SA key.

X-Men 4, is a good example, 1 sale in GPA for the highest graded copy, this year.

There’s a huge thread, as I’m sure you know, that details the argument for higher prices for Pence variant copies, on the CGC forums.

I had a pence copy of Two Gun Kid 60, a beater but decent 2.5-ish copy that I pressed and sold raw for $200 to $225 on eBay via BIN, in 2015 or 2016.

That was well above GPA, at the time, probably around double GPA.

That’s a book I regret selling.

I actually bought it in auction from a UK seller, and got it cheap- maybe around $50 with shipping, maybe 6 months prior to putting it up for sale. That was back when eBay’s search engine didn’t readily display listings from foreign sellers.

I have seen one other Pence copy of TGK 60 offered for sale since than.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Was just at a smaller local con, here in Colorado. Took a few things with me.

Post 21 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
There was a guy in another quorum somewhere; not long ago .... he lives in the UK.
I remember the discussion about Pence copies came up and he chimed in with folks who live and grew up in the UK and how they feel about Pence copies.

They still see the Pence copies as "dirty pence" copies.
I'll never forget that line and I kinda laughed.
Don't know how prevalent that stigma is in the UK or if it's real; but it was real with him.
Post 22 IP   flag post
wow those are some beautiful Arabic comics! If you ever part with them please let me know.

Great pickups in Colorado, that Falco braniac from Italy is drying up.

I've heard that pence being shunned rumor a couple times too... odd.

The panel was fun and successfully recorded, it will be online tomorrow or Tuesday!
Post 23 IP   flag post
@HotKeyComics I will keep an eye out for the recording. I wish that I could have made it there this weekend. I am glad it was a success for you.
Post 24 IP   flag post
here it is, all loaded on my YouTube, let me know what you think!
Next one is hopefully the end of June.

Post 25 IP   flag post
I really enjoyed your presentation.
Post 26 IP   flag post
601329 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?