Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleQuestions

SELL or HOLD?19471

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Couldn’t find the old thread on this topic so starting a new one.

I had this listed on MyComicShop.com for $599 and recently dropped it to $569. That prompted someone from the ebay/mcs store to offer $450 which comes to me as a $388 offer which was auto rejected. Several hours later an offer was made at $500 which comes to me as an offer of $431.

SELL or HOLD, what would you do?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Seeing as how Perez signed it and it's a 9.8, I would hold on. You can find another 9.8, but maybe not signed by Perez.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Hold. That’s what I’d do. 👍🙂
Post 3 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I do have a CBCS 9.8 Blue Label in my collection which is why i have this one up for sale.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
The only prob selling it for that price is you can’t get the guy’s autograph anymore so you will have a hard time getting one with his autograph so prices over time will slowly be on the up tick I would guess. but I say sell it if you don’t have that much invested in the book you might not be a fan of autograph books. you can always get a raw copy of it or another slab of it with out the autograph at a later date they made many of them. But I would check what the fmv of just a non autograph 9.8 goes for then add the autograph tax to it. But that’s just me I haven’t collected infinity gauntlet set yet but if I was it would just be a raw grade for me six book set I think and be done with it but Iam easy like that bud. Just try to get the most value you can if it puts you closer to the grail your shooting for
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
That Perez signature will make it special for a fan who really appreciates his art work on the cover.So if you care about stuff like that keep it. Otherwise as my good friend Steve Miller used to sing ooh ohh take the money and run.
9.8 copies fairly common without signature.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Hold
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
What does the comic mean to you? Do you need the cash to fund another book that holds more "value" to you?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen130
Hold. That’s what I’d do. 👍🙂

I quoted myself to show I changed the puke face to a smiley. That’s what I get for not wearing my cheaters. 🤣🤣
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumetheliving
What does the comic mean to you? Do you need the cash to fund another book that holds more "value" to you?

I am not a big fan of cover signatures. I bought this raw several years ago as i thought that the signature blended in very well with the cover and, let’s face it, Perez signature is a work of art. Additionally, at the time my original IG 1 was a 9.6 and I was confident that this would come in at a 9.8. When I scored a CBCS 9.8 blue label At a great price, I decided to let this one go. Don’t need the money, but still in a consolidation phase and picking up some holes or upgrades for my permanent collection with sales proceeds.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Sell and fund your grail, or are ready to part ways and want the cash. Hold if there's a connection. In the mid 80's when I got my Perez sig, mine has an attachment, he was a fav artist that inspired me.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Autographs are a hugely growing part of the hobby for the “mostly” young. I am hanging on to mine which are virtually all done by people who passed on, assuming appreciation.
I am also going to buy a Spawn 1 McFarlane signed one too for $20 one day, as an oddity.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector HooperSchaefer private msg quote post Address this user
If you were talking about Holding for your Personal Collection, I’d want to get it back from MCS and eventually add Starlin & Rubinstein, since they still make the rounds. You have the hardest part—9.8 with Perez—unless you were worried about cracking it again.

But since it’s already at MCS, I’m assuming your intention is to sell. And in that case, I’d say the $500 offer you got was fair from the eBay buyer’s standpoint, considering the book is CBCS VSP.
I know you’ll get less as a MCS simultaneous listing, but it’s something to consider. Holding for long terms gains is a good choice too, but I personally wouldn’t keep it at MCS to do that.

Best of luck!

Post 13 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Is the 'Gauntlet' story over? I think it is. That will hurt the pricing I think.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I have relieved @Scifinator of this tough decision. We have a sale in progress. Lol

Thanks a lot, my friend!!! Can't wait!!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector HooperSchaefer private msg quote post Address this user
That’s how you do it!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator

Sell. That offer is only $69 less than you are asking for.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Galen130 - made me an offer I could not refuse...something having to do with a horsehead...

Seriously, I have always maintained that I would rather my collected comics go to good homes of forum members than possible speculators on ebay. Of course, that's not to say that there aren't legitimate collectors on ebay or MCS, just don't know who your dealing with in reality.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Scifinator

Actually, is was $138 less than I was asking for.

And in all honesty, my target was $550 so that I would walk away with $500. But working with a forum member who I know is true collector and partial to Perez, I was happy to take less.

Thanks to all who offered opinions.

Let's keep this thread running unless the previous Sell or Hold thread is still active and @Jesse_O or someone else can direct us to it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Scifinator It wasn't a horsehead...it was CHEESE!!!

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
@Scifinator

Unless math has changed, I stand by my statement that their offer was $69 less than you were asking for ($569 - $500 = $69).
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
@Scifinator

Unless math has changed, I stand by my statement that their offer was $69 less than you were asking for ($569 - $500 = $69).

Your math is correct, but there is nuance. The $500 offer was and ebay offer, so what I see as an offer is $431 then, MCS would take their appx $50 fees from the 431 which would be the same as if someone offered $431 directly through MCS and bypassed ebay.

Below is clip of what I see as an offer.

Infinity Gauntlet (1991) 1 CBCS 9.8 SS Perez

Direct Edition. Verified Signature: George Perez.

Your price $569
Buyer's offer $431
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Scifinator

Frickin feeBay 😜
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Scifinator

Frickin feeBay 😜

Right??!! I closed my account back in 2019. I don’t miss it.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
It depends too - I have a 3x signed 9.8 (Perez, Starlin, Rubinstein) that I probably would have sold but my kid is 15 and his generation were really into that story line -I don't think it will drop in price and it's something he will like to have when he's older (he even got to meet all 3!)

So for me a 9.8 Perez is a forever hold!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve got a few Perez. So I’m selling this one. Avengers 11 8.5. one bid so far for $.99. Super cheap if anybody wants to get in on it.

clickable text

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275797973574?hash=item4036d71a46:g:X0QAAOSwXBdkPBk-&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4EUcqVKYElMSf3WJ2q9%2BMmT2YPSaFnzOMj%2FGuRolAEgNy3Cf0BIUZleh1qp4RUY5B%2BOi56F9onYuVsNwuR8lNqSFWtNnCDFgZGtdudNMUdwaoul8QbwTbXRg9yc4NYNmtczlBoTYqbwNQUOEnApBgNdb11Kip0hSAv8TziJNnMwBYl3KrIuj6ayZAnw%2BaUkOToLq7dWcP5VBENHUe5hapzhYrFJyi2aLHQs%2F%2ByU%2BuMKSLs%2FJIFItg8WSH4pji3QPvnQkr42L%2BQAHhEOVnWtZwiZGeL1HKug%2FdUAq9tsPuNsX%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9Cf9db0YQ
Post 26 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator Let her loose....
You have the blue label (I prefer also).
Reinvest the funds into another beauty....
Post 27 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I think I have to send this in with the promo...but...sell or hold.

Alan Moore sigs are rare like hens teeth!!

I think sell right???
If I send with the certificate they won't encapsulate it but will they keep it with the order to send straight to MCS???

Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I think I have to send this in with the promo...but...sell or hold.

Alan Moore sigs are rare like hens teeth!!

I think sell right???
If I send with the certificate they won't encapsulate it but will they keep it with the order to send straight to MCS???

Yes they will. And, MCS will list the COA in the listing.
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics, I’m a gambler. Wink wink.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601338 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?