Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Thought I'd start a romance comics thread for fun. I started collecting romance comics because of this book.

As a collector of pre code crime this Fox giant looked like a cool crime book to pick up at auction for around $146.

I knew it was a rebound book of unsold Fox comics at the time and collected with a new cover. What I didn't know was other comics besides crime was included. Action and adventure comics that Fox printed and also romance comics.
The surprising thing for me was the romance comics were the highlight from this book. Including stories of stalking, violence and some bizarre scenarios that actually made me laugh. Another highlight was the romance advice columns used as a letters page. The stories and advice were funny and sometimes a little disturbing. Not as much as a letter I found in a 70s book that I'll eventually show.

This sole book has lead me down the path of romance comic book collecting.

As long as the books don't have baker covers and are not deemed as iconic covers. They are cheap and have very little information about a lot of the issues as they are not highly sort after.

Here is Crimes incorporated certified by CBCS. The reason because only a handful have been graded only by CGC at the time.
And the highest graded CGC copy is a 5.0 restored that I recently saw for sale at Emerald city comic con at a dealers table for $500.

So post any romance books you have as I slowly go through my collection of them and post some unknown and never posted before information of what I've aquired so far.
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I have very few romance comics. This is one that I traded/sold to a friend.

This one I have simply because my maternal grandmother's name was Tillie.

And thanks to the forum, I have a few more on my want list. LOL
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Harvey, like many publishers of the day, dabbled in romance comics during the 1950s. I have a few bound volumes from the post code era. Most of the material is pretty tame, but still an interesting time capsule. It strikes me kind of funny that these were “girl comics” that were very obviously written by men. One of the more interesting features is the advertising, which is much different from the standard comic books of the time. These also feature some nice Kirby artwork, as he was a freelancer for Harvey at the time, mainly in the romance books.

Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post

Post 10 IP   flag post

Post 11 IP   flag post

Post 12 IP   flag post

Post 13 IP   flag post

Post 14 IP   flag post

Post 15 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I have a question. Isn’t Teen Humor a separate category from Romance Comics? I understand that a lot of the humor in Archie involves the “love triangle” between Archie, Betty, and Veronica, but it’s played for laughs. And there were lots of Archie knockouts, including some by MLJ (which eventually became Archie Comics). So if the comic wasn’t serious and full of gags and laughs, I always considered it Teen Humor. And although some of the titles, covers, and stories in Romance Comics may seem silly now, weren’t they meant to be taken seriously?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I have a question. Isn’t Teen Humor a separate category from Romance Comics? I understand that a lot of the humor in Archie involves the “love triangle” between Archie, Betty, and Veronica, but it’s played for laughs. And there were lots of Archie knockouts, including some by MLJ (which eventually became Archie Comics). So if the comic wasn’t serious and full of gags and laughs, I always considered it Teen Humor. And although some of the titles, covers, and stories in Romance Comics may seem silly now, weren’t they meant to be taken seriously?

I wasn't sure where the line was.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

I wasn't sure where the line was.

Yeah, it is somewhat past the line but a lot of GGA books, not just Archie love triangle covers & stories, can be justly called romance books.

But I think the full on romance comics, are well, full on romance comics.

On that note, I don’t see any Lichtenstein swiped romance comics in this thread this far. and those are the books that are both romance comics and pop art fixtures.

Kinda tempted to post some of mine up but I am still actively searching out copies of these books and I don’t want to tip off others intil I have triplicates of them all so I can get first to market prices on mine 😅
Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Here's ours...

Post 21 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 22 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 23 IP   flag post

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I get instantly triggered whenever I see a copy of this book; I old a copy out of my 10 dollar boxes at the 2016 NY WinterCon ….. I pulled it out of a $2 box thinking it looked racy and would be a solid $10 book and just a cool book to thro into my $10 boxes for WinterCon………should have looked it up first. 😂
Post 25 IP   flag post
@ComicHoarder There's a few copies of this book as I'm lead to believe a warehouse was found that had a few uncirculated copies of this book.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
This is the only real Romance Comic I have left from the 1950’s. The one I regret parting with was a copy of Diary Secrets #29 with a Matt Baker cover.

Post 27 IP   flag post

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Surf75 private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross I was thinking the same thing. Couldn't believe there wasn't one. I've been on them tough for several years now. That and GA Crime but they are not found as easy or affordable as the Romance. Still that doesn't mean they havent heated up nicely last 8 years or so.

This was the first one I got. The Romance titles were the first comic titles to put African-Americans on the covers, rarely out front like this one but usually as a couple in background. Lobo was 1965 and they followed in tne early 1970's. This Young Romance is '73. Luke Cage was '72.

Also into the Nurse books, the Charlton titles, the Romita's on the Marvel side, DC went into the late 70's with theirs as did Charlton, several of those. Wedding dresses yes, oddly enough, the weird ones lol. Got a couple Neal Adams, not really into the photo covers but I have a couple. Some GA when I find them, No King Romance books though, crime yes but none of his Romance. And Baker's are out of my orbit.

Quote:
The stories and advice were funny and sometimes a little disturbing. Not as much as a letter I found in a 70s book that I'll eventually show.

This. Most of the stories were basic but the fraction of them I've read can be hilarious.

Quote:
As long as the books don't have baker covers and are not deemed as iconic covers. They are cheap and have very little information about a lot of the issues as they are not highly sort after.

Ha, there are a bunch of those though.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Extremely difficult book to find in high grade, but then I guess they all are from the GA. "Cinderella Love" #10(#1) 1950.

Post 30 IP   flag post
600893 137 30