Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedFor SaleQuestions

Which one is accurately graded???19418

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Let's first disregard that one has the stigma of Resto and a Mis-Wrap. As such, not asking which you would want, just asking for opinions on the given grades. Both are MCS scans, so we have an apples to apples comparison from a photo quality standpoint.

On the top right front corner, is that a dog ear or a really bad trim job??? Here are the CGC "Graders" notes:
Right Bottom Front Cover Small Bend Breaks Color
Right Top Front Cover Small Wear Breaks Color

Here are the CBCS Graders notes:
color touch right bottom front cover on 2.5" crease.
few small creases & very slight rubbing wear front cover some breaks color
couple tiny foxing spots top edge back cover
few spine stress & tiny corner & edge wear to cover some breaks color front cover
Post 1 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
cbcs. no way that cgc is a 9.0. i see quite a bit of discoloration
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
That's a old label CGC, would be interesting to see what it would grade at today?
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The CGC book is over graded....the CBCS book is more accurately graded.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I think both books are over graded,... the CGC is more.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
What a racket
Post 6 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe lol.... you already know....
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
Generous 9.0 .... resto a 7.5.... not far off. I sure wouldn't crack either one hoping for better grade šŸ˜‚
Post 8 IP   flag post
Iā€™m not an ant. Iā€™m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Thereā€™s no way thatā€™s a 9.0 grade. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t buy CGC slabs.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumetheliving
That's a old label CGC, would be interesting to see what it would grade at today?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
The 8.0 looks like an 8.0ish. the 9.0 looks.. well Iā€™ve seen 6s and 7s that look just as good.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55

No.

What you see as discoloration on the 9.0 is largely due to the scanner used.

The 8.0 was scanned with a scanner that works well with slabs.

The giveaway is the brightness of the CBCS label compared to the darkened look of the CHC label.

That said, both books look they are accurately graded.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumetheliving

The CGC label is a pre-2016 label, not an ā€œold labelā€.

The ā€œold labelā€ CGC slabs had smaller typeset used for the numerical grade and ā€œVF/NMā€ would be shown under ā€œ9.0ā€ on old labels.

These old labels were books that were graded when CGC was located in NJ.

There was a thread that discussed the tighter to looser years but it got scrubbed, I think Valiantman (spelling is probably wrong) was the one who started it, he broke down submissions of highly subbed books (ASM 300 etc) and had a series of charts explaining it all.

The reason most old label books go up in page quality designation is because the graders in the NJ building were grading under fluorescent overhead lighting- so the pages themselves looked darker due to the cheap overhead lighting they worked under.

I have been around the CGC boards a good while, a few yearā€™s before this forum was started. šŸ‘“šŸ»
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
As the contrarian -

They both are accurately graded given I still believe that 99% of the time the graders know their stuff better than most armchair graders - myself included

If CGC felt it is a 9.0 - it is a 9.0
If CBCS felt is is a 8.0 - it is a 8.0

Only caveat is if something happend to the books after the grades were assigned which does not appear to the case here.
Post 14 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I canā€™t tell from the photos whatā€™s going on with the top right of the CGC copy. With that caveat in mind, I think both are fairly graded.

Here is a quick point of reference I grabbed. The CGC book looks better than the book below from same era. The CBCS book suffers from the big crease in the bottom right. So the relative grades hold up.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Iā€™m not an ant. Iā€™m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Compare a CBCS 9.0 to that CGC 9.0. If that book was graded by CBCS it wouldnā€™t get a 9.0.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Compare a CBCS 9.0 to that CGC 9.0. If that book was graded by CBCS it wouldnā€™t get a 9.0.

Interesting take. The book I compared above IS a CBCS graded book, howeverā€¦ An 8.5 that looks every bit the one grade drop lower than the CGC 9.0 aboveā€¦
Post 17 IP   flag post
Post 18 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55

No.

What you see as discoloration on the 9.0 is largely due to the scanner used.

The 8.0 was scanned with a scanner that works well with slabs.

The giveaway is the brightness of the CBCS label compared to the darkened look of the CHC label.

That said, both books look they are accurately graded.

@ComicHoarder maybe you missed it, but both of these images are MCS listings, so same scanner. However, maybe itā€™s the crystal clear CBCS vs 2nd gen CGC slab.

And further full disclosure to all, i was going to be bidding on the CGC, for possible upgrade to my collection, but that long color break on the top left made me pause, then when i saw the top right corner, I was done.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:

Interesting take. The book I compared above IS a CBCS graded book, howeverā€¦ An 8.5 that looks every bit the one grade drop lower than the CGC 9.0 aboveā€¦

Can we see the whole slab of the hulk one? I have a 9.0 with none of the defects yours have.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:

Can we see the whole slab of the hulk one? I have a 9.0 with none of the defects yours have.

Probably defects unique to your own book. Unusual to have the same defects in two randomly selected books.

Does showing the whole slab change the analysis? It wonā€™t make the book any better. I only sliced to zoom.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

@Zombie_Head @Scifinator

Just to be crystal clear, the reference Hulk 1 is a CBCS 8.5, NOT a CGC 8.5

From that Hulk 1 book vs the 9.0 CGC SilverSurf book above, the 9.0 looks like the nicer copy.

As for the CBCS 8.0 above, it has a crease (a big one) that someone tried to color inā€¦

Finally, MCS may be using multiple scanners, different settings or different people, or it could be the slabs. The lighting and color differences are not representative of real differences.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
Where's the touched crease? I can't find it!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychunn
Where's the touched crease? I can't find it!
that might be the idea behind it šŸ˜‰
Post 24 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
As the contrarian -

They both are accurately graded given I still believe that 99% of the time the graders know their stuff better than most armchair graders - myself included

If CGC felt it is a 9.0 - it is a 9.0
If CBCS felt is is a 8.0 - it is a 8.0

Only caveat is if something happend to the books after the grades were assigned which does not appear to the case here.

This
Post 25 IP   flag post
598060 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?