Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeQuestions

Should I Go Back Tomorrow?19412

Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
My personal opinion on this is stay away. About 30 years ago I was in the market for a Tony Gwynn signed fleer rookie. The guy working the counter waited for the owner to leave the room and told me to stay away from it that the owner had gone in the back the previous week and done it himself. Buyer beware. 1994 was one thing but with all the third party authentication services availible today I have a hard time believing that a book like that hasn't been verified and slabed yet. Just my two cents. But if you're willing to buy a lottery ticket it is your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
So, he figures it for 7.5 to 8. The 9.0 was another book. He marked it down a little for me.

Sig looks legit. I think?

Haven’t officially pulled the trigger, but I think I will.

Offer him 175 cash and tell him you don’t need a receipt, he will likely go for that.

I would not pay 225 for that book, look at the staple wear and the wrap.

Not enough white in the wrap to hide color breaks on this copy - a press can only do so much for this book- 7.5 tops.

If it does pass CBCS verification, expect around a 7.0 if pressed.

That’s a decent chunk of overhead to put into a book , dunno how much CHC SS Wrightson sigs or CBCS verified Wrightson sigs go for, I let my GPA lapse a while ago.

If a verified 7.0 will fetch $300, most to pay for a small profit is $175.

Post 26 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Looks more like a 6 to 6.5 with the limited things I can see. There looks to be a big crease in the bottom right corner. I'd ask to look through the interior of the book before purchasing it and offer what you think it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
That’s a decent chunk of overhead to put into a book ,

If you're buying to flip then yes but it still might be a great deal if it's something for your personal collection. Not everything needs to be slabbed and verified.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’m thinking 6.5 range. Since I don’t have a Swamp Thing 1, it’s still tempting.

I sent a pic to Beckett for signature review. I wanna hear what they say.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
One (unfortunate) thing is for sure - there won't be any additional Berni Wrightson autographs obtained by anyone. Whatever is out there; is out there and that's it.

Owning an autographed book from one of the top artists of all time in the comic arena (and his top title) is something I'd put down good money on if I didn't have any. That's for shat sure.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@flanders Yes, a 7.5 is a liberal pressing estimate, based on what is visible on the FC, in a bag.

It’s probably a 5.5/6.0 going off front cover grading alone.

Both staples are stressed, the bend with the color loss scrape near the top staple along with the rest of the more glaring defects, points towards finger bends likely present all over the book.

A “quick press” won’t take out much, it’ll need a standard press with spot pressing etc

Even for a PC book, 175 is fairly high.

The blue label writs on signed CGC 8.0 sold for 280 in auction, and another CGC blue 8.0 , likely the same book, I didn’t check, sold for 300 in auction.

I would put a verified CBCS label at around the same FMV to up to 20% higher, as a CGC blue label with a Wrightson sig.

This book is nowhere near an 8.0, as well and it may not pass sig verification.
Post 30 IP   flag post

No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Dooooo...eeeet....

Post 31 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
to make as long as it looks good enough, something you want. who cares about the grade. i have a couple of graded where I wish it had a better grade but still looks very good.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks legit, think 6.5-7.0 tops. I think 200 would be a fair offer
Post 33 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Fun fact that is not common knowledge - Berni Wrightson created the character designs of the Frost Giants in the 1st Thor movie. He told me back in 2011 at Baltimore Comicon.

Which lead me to purchase this from him.

Post 34 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim, I’d pay you an even hundo on the signature on that book and whatever your eye tells you, plus one hole grade for that book. That’s how I feel on that book.

Edit:

Post 35 IP   flag post
I did end up buying it.

Full story:

The wife woke up not feeling well, so we drove home early, well before the shop opened. The owner sent me the pic via e-mail.

I pulled the trigger over the phone. It will be shipped my way in a day or two.

I’m still waiting for Beckett’s opinion on the signature, but I’m fairly confident about its authenticity.

I do think he’s over estimating the grade and I am gambling on the signature at this point. But if it’s legit (granted, a big “if”) the price difference is worth it to me.
Post 36 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Very cool! Will you send to CBCS if it passes the Beckett sig quick check?

I hope your wife is feeling better.
Post 37 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I should be clear…. I just like the book that much.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@GAC She is, and that is the plan. 👍🏼

@HeinzDad Me too.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim what did you end up paying
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Batman66 He wouldn’t go below asking.
Post 41 IP   flag post
@00slim did he charge more for shipping
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Batman66

$6 for shipping.

He did go down from $250 to $225.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@00slim I think you did good
Post 44 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
If you do buy it - ask for authentication guarantee. If it fails, you can return the book for full refund? Worth a shot.
Post 45 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
looks good! Offer him 175 and lunch.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
@Batman66

$6 for shipping.

He did go down from $250 to $225.

If it all pans out, it's a great deal. I'd have done the deal.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Looks legit, think 6.5-7.0 tops. I think 200 would be a fair offer

Yeah, I figured a CGC SS Wrightson would be north of $500 in 7.0, but this copy looks 5.0-ish without much room for improvement and CBCS verified labels don’t typically carry as much weight in FMV as the same book in the same grade would in a CGC SS holder.

Another thing to consider when looking at GPA data is the date of Wrightson’s death and if it was sold during the 2020-21 bubble….but as that is a 2023 sale and Wrightson died in 2017, that helps to sway those issues.

Edit : (Edit: I didn’t realize Wrightson had died that long ago back in 2017, when I typed this post)

SS books jump up in FMV quite a lot on books that previously were worth under $100, and all the moreso on books that previously were worth under $500.

The spike doesn’t last very long, see SS sales data on Perez and Adams for confirmation on that. Adams, especially- he lived on the east coast and I recall seeing him listed as a guest at virtually every one of the bigger cons ion the east coast down to Connecticut.

That said, even if this book comes back as low as a 5.0 CBCS ASP once pressed, verified and slabbed, I could see it pulling &500 via a BIN sale.

Wrightson didn’t sign nearly as many books for SS as Perez or Adan’s did so that certainly helps Wrightson SS books from dropping to the degree of an Adams SS book would.

I was a bit too brash in my earlier posts on this book, I think @00slim got a good deal at 225.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Well, I never received an e-mail update about the Bernie signature, so, I signed into my Beckett account to make sure my order was received.

Not only was it received, it was complete.

A couple clicks later and I got some good news!

Post 49 IP   flag post
600736 49 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?