Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeQuestions

Should I Go Back Tomorrow?19412

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’m on vacation and the local shop here has a Swamp Thing #1, supposedly signed by Wrightson. It’s raw. The shop owner estimates it in the 9.0 range.

I think they want $250 for it.

Worth the risk?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
I always feel its better to buy and regret later....than to not buy and regret later. Because you will have the item. You could resell it or what not...but if you dont have it....not much you can do
Post 2 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
I like how everything sounds, but would be nice to see it before I could commit. I would jump in feet first, but I'm a big Bernie fan and can't be trusted.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought their X-Men 221, cuz I was trying to be frugal. But now I’m thinking the Swamp Thing #1 was the better buy in the long run.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I’m biased as well but I look at the sig as 100 bucks.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Buy it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Three key points

#1 "Owner estimates it in the 9.0 range"
Your and experienced collector, Do YOU grade the book in the 9.0 range?

#2 "supposedly Signed" Was the owner the person who had it signed? When and where?
Without knowing the answers to those questions.

#3 So whats the owners story as to why a book like that isn't already verified and slabbed?

With the fraud that runs rampant in the autograph world, unless I was satisfied with the answers to the above questions I would be very skeptical.

Im just saying be careful and do your detective work first.... If it sounds to good to be true...........
Post 8 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Last few sales of a 9.0 has been 355 and 396, last sales of an 8.5 is 510 and 477 all blue label so I think 250 is a good deal
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Three key points

#1 "Owner estimates it in the 9.0 range"
Your and experienced collector, Do YOU grade the book in the 9.0 range?

#2 "supposedly Signed" Was the owner the person who had it signed? When and where?
Without knowing the answers to those questions.

#3 So whats the owners story as to why a book like that isn't already verified and slabbed?

With the fraud that runs rampant in the autograph world, unless I was satisfied with the answers to the above questions I would be very skeptical.

Im just saying be careful and do your detective work first.... If it sounds to good to be true...........

The unverified nature is the main reason I didn’t jump on it.

I’ll go back tomorrow, ask some questions, and look it over closer. I’ll also spend some time tonight looking at some examples of Bernie’s signature. While I’m not an expert, if it looks off, I’ll have an idea.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim "I’ll also spend some time tonight looking at some examples of Bernie’s signature. While I’m not an expert, if it looks off, I’ll have an idea."

- This!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Bernie’s signature is VERY distinctive; his last name appears to have an ‘L’ in it. If you had a pic, we’d all be able to help.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
The shop owner estimates it in the 9.0 range

I first read this as a 6.0 signed by Wrightson and thought you should definitely buy it. If it's a 9.0 I'd bring a tent and camp out in front of the shop until tomorrow.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim - Good luck! Every time I have hesitated to buy a book, and then gone back to get it, it’s gone. It’s happened a few times. But for an autographed copy, I would definitely look it over carefully.

I purchased this book online several years ago. Unfortunately, my name is not Hannah, but it looks like other signatures I have seen.

Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Wrightson autographs are quite distinctive & not like... say.... Jim Lee to forge by scammers
Familiarize yourself with other Wrightson autographs (including Hannah's signature here wink wink).

When outside of the Stan Lee, McFarlane, Kirby, and a few others area, risk of forgery is much less

After review, determine if you feel it is legit or if a little birdie inside your gut is saying it doesn't seem right.

Ask questions from the store seller. Where did he get it? Was it signed when he bought it? Anything else he can provide to help you? Listen closely to his answers.

Finally - as for the grade - YOU should determine the grade; not him.

After all that - go from there
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
My personal opinion on this is stay away. About 30 years ago I was in the market for a Tony Gwynn signed fleer rookie. The guy working the counter waited for the owner to leave the room and told me to stay away from it that the owner had gone in the back the previous week and done it himself. Buyer beware. 1994 was one thing but with all the third party authentication services availible today I have a hard time believing that a book like that hasn't been verified and slabed yet. Just my two cents. But if you're willing to buy a lottery ticket it is your money.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo - "Unfortunately, my name is not Hannah."

I'd change it. (who wouldn't want a personalized Bernie Wrightson sig)
Post 17 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I, too, say stay away because about 25 years ago I bought a book that had undisclosed restoration so this one probably does too.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@esaravo - "Unfortunately, my name is not Hannah."

I'd change it. (who wouldn't want a personalized Bernie Wrightson sig)

Squeeze a question mark in between the N’s. Then it can be for anyone not named Han.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Where are you vacationing??

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Post 20 IP   flag post
So, he figures it for 7.5 to 8. The 9.0 was another book. He marked it down a little for me.

Sig looks legit. I think?

Haven’t officially pulled the trigger, but I think I will.

Post 21 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim - Go for it!
Post 22 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Do it!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Looks good to me.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I feel it is legit and I have plenty of Wrightson autographs.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
My personal opinion on this is stay away. About 30 years ago I was in the market for a Tony Gwynn signed fleer rookie. The guy working the counter waited for the owner to leave the room and told me to stay away from it that the owner had gone in the back the previous week and done it himself. Buyer beware. 1994 was one thing but with all the third party authentication services availible today I have a hard time believing that a book like that hasn't been verified and slabed yet. Just my two cents. But if you're willing to buy a lottery ticket it is your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
So, he figures it for 7.5 to 8. The 9.0 was another book. He marked it down a little for me.

Sig looks legit. I think?

Haven’t officially pulled the trigger, but I think I will.

Offer him 175 cash and tell him you don’t need a receipt, he will likely go for that.

I would not pay 225 for that book, look at the staple wear and the wrap.

Not enough white in the wrap to hide color breaks on this copy - a press can only do so much for this book- 7.5 tops.

If it does pass CBCS verification, expect around a 7.0 if pressed.

That’s a decent chunk of overhead to put into a book , dunno how much CHC SS Wrightson sigs or CBCS verified Wrightson sigs go for, I let my GPA lapse a while ago.

If a verified 7.0 will fetch $300, most to pay for a small profit is $175.

Post 26 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Looks more like a 6 to 6.5 with the limited things I can see. There looks to be a big crease in the bottom right corner. I'd ask to look through the interior of the book before purchasing it and offer what you think it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
That’s a decent chunk of overhead to put into a book ,

If you're buying to flip then yes but it still might be a great deal if it's something for your personal collection. Not everything needs to be slabbed and verified.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I’m thinking 6.5 range. Since I don’t have a Swamp Thing 1, it’s still tempting.

I sent a pic to Beckett for signature review. I wanna hear what they say.
Post 28 IP   flag post
One (unfortunate) thing is for sure - there won't be any additional Berni Wrightson autographs obtained by anyone. Whatever is out there; is out there and that's it.

Owning an autographed book from one of the top artists of all time in the comic arena (and his top title) is something I'd put down good money on if I didn't have any. That's for shat sure.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders Yes, a 7.5 is a liberal pressing estimate, based on what is visible on the FC, in a bag.

It’s probably a 5.5/6.0 going off front cover grading alone.

Both staples are stressed, the bend with the color loss scrape near the top staple along with the rest of the more glaring defects, points towards finger bends likely present all over the book.

A “quick press” won’t take out much, it’ll need a standard press with spot pressing etc

Even for a PC book, 175 is fairly high.

The blue label writs on signed CGC 8.0 sold for 280 in auction, and another CGC blue 8.0 , likely the same book, I didn’t check, sold for 300 in auction.

I would put a verified CBCS label at around the same FMV to up to 20% higher, as a CGC blue label with a Wrightson sig.

This book is nowhere near an 8.0, as well and it may not pass sig verification.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601485 49 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?