Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Help with Grade: FF4819410

Collector Eclipse9665 private msg quote post Address this user
Seller's pics, what are your thoughts on the grade based off of these 3 pictures? Assuming there is nothing wrong otherwise.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
I am guessing 5.0 to 6.0 but I don't have the exp like some of the people on the forum. That is a top 5 book I want it looks nice.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I would ask for better pictures. I can't tell what color the paper is and there is too much ambiguity with the first picture.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with @andy49. First picture looks like it cuts off part of the edges of the book.
Post 4 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
From the photo a 7.0

From the missing parts of the photo and style of photos a 4.0
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @Davethebrave, it appears to be around a 7.0. The coloration (discoloration) may be due to oxidation, which can lead to brittleness. The staples are attached, but you can see light through a small tear above the top of the bottom staple in the third photo.
I would also need some more photos for such a high-priced book. Without them, I would be worried about trimming. The cover should have a slight overhang at the top and bottom of the book pages, and the right edge should not be perfectly straight up and down when viewed from the top and side.
Overall, it’s a book that presents nicely. But I always wonder when expensive books are offered for sale ungraded.
Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
But I always wonder when expensive books are offered for sale ungraded.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
It "looks" like Marvel Chipping was trimmed off the right edge of the cover. More pics on a blue background would help.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
I feel like that right edge could have been trimmed. In every photo I can find on ebay, you can see the Thing's entire butt with room to spare on the edge. Not the case on this copy.

Anyone know if that's the wrong way to look at this? Can this inconsistency occur from miswraps or from how it was printed?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Eclipse9665 private msg quote post Address this user
@PhilCoulson Here are some copies I found with "less butt".

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/295621941104
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/285155846643
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
Looks within tolerance right-edge-wise.

But it looks like it's on some kind of reflective material. Odd.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
@Eclipse9665 Thanks, I just looked at a few but there is a significant difference in them. I guess it comes from how they were printed.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Eclipse9665 Just a thought - until you get better grading - you may wish to buy graded books and check them out and get more familiar with the grades. Or you can buy ungraded books but there will be some expensive learning experiences on the way
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
The book looks trimmed and there is a lot of edge oxidation, I’d pass.
Post 14 IP   flag post
597868 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?