Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignatures

Signatures on books - detract or entice?1939

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
It depends on the book, the cover art, and the signature placement, and the artist. Usually I'll only buy unsigned unless I really enjoy that artist's work and find a sig at a decent price. There was once I actually paid more to find an unsigned copy of a book because I loved the artwork and wanted it pristine, for some reason signed copies were a lot more abundant.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Aspirin

I do like multiple signatures if they fit a theme ( Creators or cast) but signature placement is important in that. For single signatures I prefer it to be as non interfering as possible. If there's room to sign besides over the artwork. Signing over faces just bugs me. I do think there a books better left unsigned, and certainly inappropriate books people have signed. I've seen a GSX1 on ebay that on the first page is signed "I didn't do this. John Byrne" which is terrible and I'm sure there's an Avengers 4 signed by Chris Evan out there....It all depends on the book.

Why would an artist or writer....when they know they didn't work on the book, still sign it?

I can think of only one thing....the presenter, didn't know, and doesn't care.

A little research on their behalf would save lots of time for all involved.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Overall, I'm not a big fan of obtrusively placed signatures on books. Stan Lee has signed so many books, I think it's getting to the point where a book may be valued less because his signature is on it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Overall, I'm not a big fan of obtrusively placed signatures on books. Stan Lee has signed so many books, I think it's getting to the point where a book may be valued less because his signature is on it.

I've been known to pass up a book on eBay because Stan signed it a time or three. If I'm looking for a Darth Vader I sure as hell don't want Stan Lee on it! Sure enough, there he is.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
As an autograph collector since early 1970's, I have one comment to make: autographs do not last forever. Black ink, black sharpie etc fades over time. (they all do) but Black leaves a "ghost" yellow image around it when it starts fading. I will have to dig one up to show you all. I am at the point I ask for BLUE sharpie or paint pen. FYI..Good luck!

This is due to the acid in the ink; now, you can buy acid-free permanent markers (many manufacturers but BIC makes some really good,cheap ones). Regular sharpies do still contain acid, including the blue ones. When i facilitate signings or take my clients books to a show, i only use acid free markers unless they request specific markers themselves.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@RyanHicks What would be your brand choice of acid free marker?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@RyanHicks What would be your brand choice of acid free marker?

These are my go-to for black

These are really good for matte covers but not good for glossy covers (unless you have the time to be patient enough to let them dry):

Post 32 IP   flag post
These are thinner acid free permanent markers and this is the best thin-point gold marker you can get for signings (it is absolutely beautiful) but it is also one you need to give a few seconds to dry

Post 33 IP   flag post
600782 33 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?