Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signing Opportunities

Jack Kirby - Tribute Panel at Wondercon19341

Collector JC600 private msg quote post Address this user
I had the pleasure of listening to several of Jack Kirby's colleagues today as they spoke at Wondercon. Marv Wolfman spoke about visiting Jack at his home when he was younger. I hung around after the Tribute and spoke to Marv for a few minutes. The story he told during the tribute just so happens to be the one that is on the 2nd page from the end of NEW GODS No.1 and MISTER MIRACLE No.1 titled (a visit with JACK KIRBY) by Marvin Wolfman. Marv spoke to me about Jack's genius capabilities and before he walked away I asked him to sign that page in my MISTER MIRACLE No.1 along with a Spider-Man No.184 that he was both writer / editor on. He gladly signed both right there in the hallway.

I took a couple of short videos during the hour of the Tribute, but I was so interested in what was being said I was recording the floor have the time and most likely not recording them as I held my phone in the air. I can view them on my phone but not my PC right now. If I could get a couple of these brief HVEC videos converted I will add them to this post after while. It was amazing to hear how well respected he was by his peers, and it was saddening to hear how he was treated at times by upper management at BOTH Marvel and DC. Never the less, it was the best 60 minutes I have sat through listening to older gentlemen speak in years!

Here are a few pictures of the Tribute Panel and his signatures.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
Great experience for you as a fan.
Guys like Marv share important back information on the greats who laid the
foundation of our comic hobby. It's important to take note of this history and pass it on. These good folks won't be here forever so it's up to the younger people to keep that history alive. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Is Marv still not touching comics and signing them with his arm and hand off the table? The ASM sig kinda looks like that's the case.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector JC600 private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy Marv signed them on a clipboard while standing in a hallway outside of the hall where the Kirby tribute was held.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@JC600 Just today I came across a letter to the editor from Marv Wolfman in the 70's. He talked about how people were complaining that comic books were written for immature readers. He said it wasn't the comic books that had changed, just that those who enjoyed them as a kid had grown up and now found them to be immature. He had an interesting take...he hoped that comic books would not try to adapt to the ageing reader but rather that they would remain immature for the next generation of young readers. He also mentioned the DC Atomic Knights stories as being important in maintaining his interest in comic books as he matured. The letter was in Strange Adventures 225.
Post 6 IP   flag post
601228 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?