Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
I’m thrilled. Picked up from MCS, sent check to avoid consignment fee.

8.5 Hulk 181

Now I’m debating, do I risk for a clean and press. Afraid of a drop…

But for the life of me - I cant see the flaws the graders notes are talking about!

I'll upload more pictures - you guys are more experts at this than I am.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats awesome book. I don't know I couldn't help but go for a press the idea if having a 9.0 or higher is to much.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Nowadays, expect a drop.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@multi007 Congrats!!! Great book!!

Do you have the graders notes?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
You will likely get a drop. Hulk 181 fools a lot of collectors.I would trust the notes and enjoy a beautiful 8.5.
Post 7 IP   flag post

Post 8 IP   flag post
Here are the notes

I see the spine stress breaks. But not the light crease left center...??

It definitely can use a clean in the white areas... they should clean up nicely... but dang what a risk to take...

Im nervous just thinking about it.

Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'd keep it as is for now atleast.

A grade drop would be heartbreaking and expensive both on grading fees and book value.

An 8.5 is a great grade!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector PalmBeachPresser private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats! Great pickup. I am not a risk taker so I would keep it as 8.5. Nothing wrong with that grade!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@PalmBeachPresser
Welcome to the forum!!

I agree with the folks here. An 8.5 is a great grade for that book. I'd keep it as-is if it were mine.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In the past I gambled on 3 copies of hulk 181 with CCS. I WOULDN'T do it again, but I did get the following.
8.5 => 9.0 white pages
8.5 => 9.0
9.4 => 9.6
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
In the past I gambled on 3 copies of hulk 181 with CCS. I WOULDN'T do it again, but I did get the following.
8.5 => 9.0 white pages
8.5 => 9.0
9.4 => 9.6

I hated math… 😂. do those mean you got a bump?

Also, to everyone- does the date the book was last graded matter? Older grade is better or worse for regrading?
Post 14 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I see the left center crease in the 3rd photo of your second post. It's very faint. It starts at the bottom of Wolverine's right claw, and moves downward along the spine until it reaches the level of Wendigo's right shoulder. It runs parallel to the right edges of the spine tics, sort of connecting them. There is also a white crease sitting vertically on Wendigo's right shoulder.

I agree with the general opinion to leave it alone. I don't think it can hit the 9's. And anything on the back cover (not shown) could add to the defect list.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@multi007
Yes all 3 got bumps.

I didn't use math expressions, I was using them as arrows in terms of yielded....

Beginning grade to final result

Edit

Yes older books had a better chance at bump. I bought my books early 2002 or so.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Bronte lol it was the greater than or less than sign that tripped me up. Lol.

And Thanks.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
I think I see the left center crease in the 3rd photo of your second post. It's very faint. It starts at the bottom of Wolverine's right claw, and moves downward along the spine until it reaches the level of Wendigo's right shoulder. It runs parallel to the right edges of the spine tics, sort of connecting them. There is also a white crease sitting vertically on Wendigo's right shoulder.

I agree with the general opinion to leave it alone. I don't think it can hit the 9's. And anything on the back cover (not shown) could add to the defect list.

Yes, I see it! Right by the shoulder. Hmm, that makes me doubt even more of getting a 9.0.
Post 18 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
8.5 looks fair

Congrats
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome copy celebration time
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I would not play the re-grade game. With the mentioned flaws I believe the book could only go down in grade.

Congratulations on a beautiful book!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007

Keep the 8.5!!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with the majority on here, leave it as is. Congrats on the awesome book!
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Well that's a big boy book
And yea... agree with every other post - do not mess with re-sub.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
great book. is that a crack down by wolverine claw?? spine side. also you said u sent check to bypass fee would you explain, i never brought an auction book from mcs
Post 25 IP   flag post
Thank you everyone. I will keep it as is 😀. I’m very happy.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
question to all that said not to regrade, would you buy and/or sell this book just curious not judging (mannn wish i had one)
Post 27 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Leave well enough alone.
Post 28 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@multi007 Keep it as it is. It's over graded.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@multi007 Keep it as it is. It's over graded.

not neccessary.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601513 59 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?