Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What will these go for? Wizard Magazine #1 9.8 File Copies at Auction19303

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
These will be ending on Comic Connect on Friday. It will be interesting to see the final bids. I know the Newsstand is rarer than the San Diego Comic Con variant. It is a bit disappointing how awful they look in those scratched up cases/inner wells. I'm surprised with the cost for these to be graded, that CGC didn't do a better job in QC. Also, it's hard to tell if some of these were given gift grades or not.

clickable text

Post 1 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I used to buy Wizard in my youth. There was some funny stuff in it along with a lot of hype on garbage. Anyways, I was today's years old when I found out Wizard had newsstand editions. Learn something new every day.
Post 2 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Madman private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I kept all of mine. They were all newsstand. I never thought they would become collectible so I got rid of them as I only used them for pricing. I did however save the posters, cards and comics that came with them. Oh well...🤦‍♂️
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Thelastpearce private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe it's my eyes but the 2nd one, the cheapest looks the best out of all 3. I don't collect them but I would pick that one if I did.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
I used to buy those mags to see the monthly price guides. I had over street but I liked the idea of monthly updates better than annual ones.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
9.6 sold last month on eBay for $455. Calculate from there.
Post 7 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I kept my Wizard magazines but they are not in decent shape. I read every page, multiple times.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector ProdigalSon private msg quote post Address this user
does it make a difference if it has the distinction as being a "File Copy"? I personally don't think it matters... maybe I'm missing something.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalSon
does it make a difference if it has the distinction as being a "File Copy"? I personally don't think it matters... maybe I'm missing something.

I think it devalues the book. These were never distributed so it's far less impressive that they're in 9.8 condition.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I, personally agree. It devalues.
However, there's always the "9.8 syndrome"; where people lose their minds.
Post 11 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
A file copy devalues? I don’t think so.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I believe the caveat was the word "personally".
The book is not devalued; but quite frankly it is "personally" devalued for me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I believe the caveat was the word "personally".
The book is not devalued; but quite frankly it is "personally" devalued for me.

How dare you have a personal conviction that goes against the market!!!

In reality, we all have our own criteria for what we value, or don't. I personally will accept almost any defect, but not tape. That's me. Others don't care, or must have pristine books, or dislike the idea of Pedigrees, or absolutely love the idea of a Pedigree book, and so on.
Post 14 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of people look at file copies in the same regard as pedigrees. Personally, I do not. File copies weren't really collected as a hobby. They were placed in a file drawer and saved in case future reference was needed.

They weren't purchased by an individual because they enjoyed collecting. They weren't really loved, for lack of a better word. No real history, unless, in this case, you were a fan of Wizard magazine and it held a special place in your collecting life.

Don't get me wrong, they're usually very nice books, but they don't hold enough special meaning to me. Not enough to make me open my wallet any wider than any other copy on the market. That said, I suppose there's always that one exception out there... somewhere.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@DrWatson what about a file copy of the artist or writer of the book?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Others may feel differently, but that seems more like a personal collection trading on the "file copy" buzz words to me. I would personally rather own a book that came from Dave Cockrum's personal collection as opposed to a Dave Cockrum file copy, but that gets into arguing semantics.

Sure, those books were kept as reference material, but I would wager that with artists and writers there was some pride of ownership mixed in there as well.
Post 17 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Often great history in file copies. Sometimes held by the creators themselves. Usually more interesting connection to the hobby than some copy that was stored in a random warehouse (e.g., 50 copies of an IH181 that are pristine because they sat in a box for 40 years).

Added provenance alone is nice.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
some file copies are cool

Post 19 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If CBCS/CGC doesn't have the provenance, are they able to tell a book is a file copy?
Post 20 IP   flag post
@the420bandito that being owned by Kurtzmann is COOL!!!!
I can get into THAT file copy for sure!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
If CBCS/CGC doesn't have the provenance, are they able to tell a book is a file copy?

If the books have no other defining characteristics, then I would say no.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I like the idea of a file copy. This was one of the few copies the company set aside to preserve. There are far less of them with this unique distinction & that makes them intriguing to me.

I have a #1 sitting in one of my boxes. It’s probably a 8.5 to 9.0 or so. I need to get it graded someday, just for nostalgia.
Post 23 IP   flag post
601196 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?