Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

Missing pages notation19301

It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
If the label and grader notes say "3rd & 14th page missing, does not affect story. INCOMPLETE.", how is that counted? It's a silver age book, 8 leaves, and covers so 9 sheets of paper. When I flip through another copy of the same issue, the 3rd page (after the front cover) is the same sheet as the 14th page. So I'm presuming that this complete leaf is missing, since it is 4 sides of ads, wouldn't affect the story. Is this the standard way of counting pages, ignore the front cover and start flipping?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Dave52 private msg quote post Address this user
Ignore the Front Cover and Back Cover when you count pages most silver age Marvels except annuals and Specials have 16 leaf's equals 32 pages
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Does it say manufacturer error in the notes?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
8 pages to the centerfold(staples) on each side for most books. So, 16 pages total.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio

No, just that the pages are missing. The quote in my first post was copied and pasted. The notes also included various comments about wear.

Too bad the notes don't indicate an apparent grade if complete. I guess you can make your own assessment, but you're looking through a slab, or worse, a photo of a slab. In which case it could be a 7.0 or a 2.0, if blurry enough.

Easy job for the grader. "Oh, pages missing? That's a 0.5, don't even have to use my many skills." Ka-ching!

Counting the 7x10 pages 1-16 sounds legit. Tough to count leaves, as half a leaf could be torn out. Nor story pages, as not all are numbered, opening up the chances of human error.

Thanks to all who responded. đź‘Ť
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio

No, just that the pages are missing. The quote in my first post was copied and pasted. The notes also included various comments about wear.

Too bad the notes don't indicate an apparent grade if complete. I guess you can make your own assessment, but you're looking through a slab, or worse, a photo of a slab. In which case it could be a 7.0 or a 2.0, if blurry enough.

Easy job for the grader. "Oh, pages missing? That's a 0.5, don't even have to use my many skills." Ka-ching!

Counting the 7x10 pages 1-16 sounds legit. Tough to count leaves, as half a leaf could be torn out. Nor story pages, as not all are numbered, opening up the chances of human error.

Thanks to all who responded. đź‘Ť
unfortunately incomplete is incomplete. Since CBCS does not offer the sympathy Green Label like CGC they don’t have any other choice but to give the max grade of .5 for incomplete books unless you opt for grade screen and “Do Not Encapsulate If Fails”.

Are you buying or getting one back?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I can appreciate that it's officially a done deal at 0.5 if incomplete. But since a grading fee is paid, for almost no effort, it could be a courtesy to write "apparent 4.5, but incomplete" in the notes only. Or even a range, like 4.0-5.0 to be purposely vague, but give you a rough idea. At least you'd know where it would fall on the scale if intact.

Sort of like on the Antiques Roadshow where they appraise your cracked vase at $3k, and tell you it would have been $12k without the damage. Just some pertinent info that's helpful to know.

I am neither buying one nor getting one back. I just happened to see an Amazing Spider-Man 22 CBCS 0.5 on eBay and wondered what method they used to designate the missing pages. I had a reader copy to compare, but still wasn't sure, no experience with that.
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I agree. I dislike the, "Oh, page X or XX is missing. .5 incomplete."
Post 8 IP   flag post
601333 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?