Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Tales of Suspense 39 vs. Tales of Suspense 3919299

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
What is real is this staple on the CBCS book. Iron Man looks a bit oxidized.

They are both nice copies and like I said, both look fairly graded.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave IM = "Iron Man"
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychunn
@Davethebrave IM = "Iron Man"

Okay, those look like contact points between the plastics as I described above. Not on the book. You can see the rainbow/color separation (Newton’s rings effects) on the transition points.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm curious...

What do you folks think about Heritage putting them right next to each other in the same auction?
Is that a dis-service to the sellers?
Is it okay because the labels make them different?
Post 29 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would have run them separately. Having them in the same auction is splitting the bids.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I would have run them separately. Having them in the same auction is splitting the bids.
it adds to the.. “suspense”.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
So I'm curious...

What do you folks think about Heritage putting them right next to each other in the same auction?

yea - i wouldnt be happy. so much so if i ever did business with them, id tell them i do not want my book running against anyone elses (same issue same grade).
Post 32 IP   flag post
With 12 days to go the race begins to tighten...

Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
Quote:
So I'm curious...

yea - i wouldnt be happy. so much so if i ever did business with them, id tell them i do not want my book running against anyone elses (same issue same grade).

Well, not exactly a rare book and there are many running TOS 39 in the auction very close in grade. Happens often with the more common high value books.

Remember, so many of the same issue together in the high visibility auctions like Heritage also means concentration of buyer interest. Makes it a “must participate” auction for more bidders.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

But is it really splitting bids though? If say they were both listed on separate days, would that not also split bids to the same extent that listing them on the same day but on different sites would? We're talking about a big book that already has a small pool of people that can afford to bid on, so I imagine that these buyers are already aware of auctions as they exist whether on the same platform or the same day and so on. I'm of the mind that this was a calculated move to put a CBCS book against a CGC book to really drive eyes to the auction and wouldn't be surprised if both manage to beat FMV.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Lookout! The CGC zealots are on the loose!

Post 36 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@figment Would the variance in pricing be that one book says WHITE pages, and the other same OFF-WHITE?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
@figment Would the variance in pricing be that one book says WHITE pages, and the other same OFF-WHITE?

The price is currently about the same. The CBCS one has WP. The CGC one is better centered and clean staples (no rust).

I think they could end at roughly equal prices. I would personally take that CGC book. So I would pay a relative premium for that book.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I ask because I was actually considering buying a Shazam number one silver age CBCS graded 9.8 and cracking the slab and sending it into CGC after it was signed by Zachary Levi. However, 1) I’m no longer going to use that book for the autograph. 2) I was actually concerned that the grading transfer from CBCS to CGC would not remain constant.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
I ask because I was actually considering buying a Shazam number one silver age CBCS graded 9.8 and cracking the slab and sending it into CGC after it was signed by Zachary Levi. However, 1) I’m no longer going to use that book for the autograph. 2) I was actually concerned that the grading transfer from CBCS to CGC would not remain constant.

I’m surprised by any expectation it will hold grade. Someone is going to rest their hand on the book and (intentionally) scribble on it. Never mind the process of cracking and handling.

Finally, 9.8 is the least symmetrical numerical grade. It contains books that are (essentially) visually perfect down to books with some visible defects that are borderline to a lower grade. The ratio of 9.6 books vs 9.9/10.0 books is likely on the order of 500:1 to 5,000:1. This speaks to the range of books contained in a 9.8 bucket but also the likely number of edge cases that could grade a 9.6 on a given day.

So combine the pure math with the handling and I’m more surprised if it holds grade. Sure, can mitigate by pressing after signing but that is playing a different game with additional cost (and risk).
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:

As others will probably state, the value proposition may not be worth the risk unless this is a PC book and if you're willing to take a hit on the grade. Before considering any cracking, please review the images with a fine toothcomb and arm yourself with some grading knowledge. Not all 9.8's were created equally, if it's already boarder line it may not be worth the risk to CPR plus adding extra handling from the signing.
Post 41 IP   flag post
White Pages is back in the lead!

Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
White Pages is back in the lead!

Post 43 IP   flag post
@figment Just a quick note to thank you for keeping us posted.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
it adds to the.. “suspense”.
Yes, there could be great 'tales' coming from this auction.
Post 45 IP   flag post
The key question is how many cross bidders there are between the two copies.

Number of tracking may provide clues.

I don’t think having two identical books hurts much in this case. Multiple TOS39 in similar grades too (one or two 8.0s). It actually could help.

Finally, and hopefully this is obvious but maybe not, there are people watching auctions that will look for below FMV books and be willing to bid them up to FMV (or something near that). A market “value” isn’t really based on sequencing unless it an exceptionally thinly traded asset.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Back and forth they go with a big jump for CGC...

Post 47 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@figment mindboggling! I know it's not over yet but why does this happen?
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@figment mindboggling! I know it's not over yet but why does this happen?

All depends on particular bidders’ strategies and how they interact. At the end of the day, shouldn’t matter if they bid it up to within $1 of FMV 7 days or 7 seconds prior to auction completion.

I have been bidding on a few books in that auction (won’t say which) but the “bid curves” vs where I think the books will end are all over the place.

Generally books like these (relatively plentiful, relatively mainstream) get bid to FMV, especially when multiples are going for auction together. Dealers and brokers will be watching and if something is going for too low they’ll grab it, closing most of any value gap.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
I have been bidding on a few books in that auction (won’t say which)

Don't leave us hanging.
Post 50 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
When the answer to any question is likely at least half the population aren't all that bright/savvy or have dumbass tunnel vision, then everything begins to make complete sense.
Post 51 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know for certain but there does appear to be an uninformed bias against CBCS. That's a positive when buying CBCS slabs but a negative when selling.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
I have been bidding on a few books in that auction (won’t say which)

Don't leave us hanging.

In the (highly) unlikely event I win something, I promise to post here.

In fact, if I do, I may take the extremely unusual step of even selling some of my books…
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I don't know for certain but there does appear to be an uninformed bias against CBCS. That's a positive when buying CBCS slabs but a negative when selling.

Would you rather have the book with (what appears to be) a rusty staple (or two) or Newton’s rings in this case?

To me the CGC book is the better copy here. It has better centering too.

White pages vs rusty staples at that high a grade…
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Would you rather have the book with a rusty staple (or two) or Newton’s rings in this case?

To me the CGC book is the better copy here. It has better centering too.

White pages vs rusty staples at that high a grade…

Good point...rusty staples are a turn off for many collectors. It'll be interesting where they both end. One hears that "CGC sells for more than CBCS" so often that one starts to think maybe it's true. I'd like to see these bigger books in CBCS cases sell for higher when there's a directly competing listing.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600855 79 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?