CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Tales of Suspense 39 vs. Tales of Suspense 3919299

I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Here's one...

Tales of Suspense #39 CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white pages

...and here's the other...

Tales of Suspense #39 CBCS FN/VF 7.0 White pages

Will the industry juggernaut wipe up the new guy?
Will white pages be the difference for the underdog?
Does Tony Stark even care?

15 days to find out! Place your bets ladies and gentlemen, the game's afoot!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
That's awesome, can't wait to see how that plays out - I only wish they had the same page colors!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Element_Lad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker1
That's awesome, can't wait to see how that plays out - I only wish they had the same page colors!
Same. The white pages would be the difference for my money if the same grade.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
I honestly hope the CBCS wins. The comic value should be equal to the grade (subjective) condition, not the label above it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Recently a hulk 1 cgc 7.0 wp and a cbcs 7.5 wp both sold at the same auction, just going by memory 63k for the cgc 7.0 and 56k for the cbcs 7.5.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Recently a hulk 1 cgc 7.0 wp and a cbcs 7.5 wp both sold at the same auction, just going by memory 63k for the cgc 7.0 and 56k for the cbcs 7.5.

If that's the case, someone is a f***ing idiot.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

Unfortunately this seem to be right. The other guy is still getting a 20% premium over cbcs,why? I Have no idea.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Spaceguy private msg quote post Address this user
Another way to look at this is from the perspective of the collector-buyer(remember those?)
The CGC copy notes 5 of 6 concerns on the back cover:

Grader Notes
fingerprints left center of back cover
fingerprints right top of back cover
light wear full top of back cover
light, multiple crease left bottom of back cover
small, multiple stain right center of back cover
spine stress lines breaks color

while the CSBC notes are all about the front cover:
Notes:
few spine stress & tiny corner & edge wear to cover some breaks color front cover
few small creases to cover some breaks color front cover
couple tiny tears to cover edges
few tiny light stains to cover, small writing in pen top 1st page
Post 8 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
The CBCS book looks good; the stains on the back of the CGC really detract from the visual appeal. Another comparison that makes me question the validity of CGC grades on older books.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumetheliving
I honestly hope the CBCS wins. The comic value should be equal to the grade (subjective) condition, not the label above it.

In a sanitized world, that should be the case. History shows that the label makes a HUGE difference. Otherwise, the prices attained by raw comics wouldn't be so distant from slabbed.

As to which slab label carries more weight, that also seems to be painfully obvious.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

Unfortunately this seem to be right. The other guy is still getting a 20% premium over cbcs,why? I Have no idea.

You almost seem surprised that there are idiots out there 😊
Post 11 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
The CGC book looks like it has those neuton rings going on the front cover?
Post 12 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
CGC book has a nicer spine and is the better looking book overall. It has better centering, fewer creases on FC. Unfortunately the case has Newton’s rings and that detracts from presentation.

The CBCS book has more creasing overall (FC, right middle/bottom), equivalent page edges and corner damage but also rusty staples.

The biggest flaw of the CGC book vs CBCS are the couple of minor stains on BC but it doesn’t detract from its main presentation quality overall (which is superior). Biggest visible flaw (in addition to worse spine) of the CBCS book is the one or two rusty staples (top staple is clearly rusted). Of course the interior pen markings on page for the CBCS book is a hidden defect…

Both look fairly graded overall but I would choose the CGC book by a small margin over the CBCS book. While the Newton’s rings on the CGC copy’s case are unfortunate, it isn’t actual damage to the book so doesn’t factor into value (especially at this price point). Those rusty staples (with some rust migration) and the worse cut on the CBCS book outweigh the very slightly better page quality.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I'll take the 7.0 raw candidate; checked for resto, for thousands & thousands less
Post 14 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like Silver Man imho...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I would bet on the CBCS WP. Personally I’d opt for the WP if looking at equal books. Page condition speaks a lot to me; probably more than it should.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
This type of books - CGC or CBCS does not matter. CBCS will win as it presents better
Post 17 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
It will be close...it could go either way.....there won't be a huge difference like the Hulk 1 example above....CBCS should edge out CGC on the page quality but most collectors know PQ isn't really important especially between white pages and ow pages.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
I am fairly new to these kinds of sales and grading. I don't have the knowledge of graded books like most of you. I have always read that white Pages are much more valuable so I am guessing that will win out regardless of the grading company.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
It shouldnt be that way. Prices should be equal. Ive read on the the other guy's forums that if they buy a cbcs slab, they crack it and send it in to cgc because of the value bump. personally, I would not do that.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
It shouldnt be that way. Prices should be equal. Ive read on the the other guy's forums that if they buy a cbcs slab, they crack it and send it in to cgc because of the value bump. personally, I would not do that.

I have done this as well, in my case the book was "improved" so I got a grade bump. Also turn around times were much better at CGC so they got my book.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
... the book was "improved" ...

If that means something other than dry cleaning and pressing, please give me your seller name for any site. I want to keep it for future reference.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
... the book was "improved" ...

If that means something other than dry cleaning and pressing, please give me your seller name for any site. I want to keep it for future reference.

Nope, just those two, I've messed around with other procedures on junk books but nothing of any value. It's amazing what an artist's eraser, humidity, heat, and time can do.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
The CGC one looks like it has cleaned spots around IM.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychunn
The CGC one looks like it has cleaned spots around IM.

No, those are effects of plastic on plastic (same cause as Newton’s rings). This causes some areas to look lightened vs other areas. Though unclear what “IM” means … “IMO” cut off? “Inside Middle” … xray vision?
Post 25 IP   flag post
What is real is this staple on the CBCS book. Iron Man looks a bit oxidized.

They are both nice copies and like I said, both look fairly graded.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave IM = "Iron Man"
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychunn
@Davethebrave IM = "Iron Man"

Okay, those look like contact points between the plastics as I described above. Not on the book. You can see the rainbow/color separation (Newton’s rings effects) on the transition points.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm curious...

What do you folks think about Heritage putting them right next to each other in the same auction?
Is that a dis-service to the sellers?
Is it okay because the labels make them different?
Post 29 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would have run them separately. Having them in the same auction is splitting the bids.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600777 79 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?