Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I don't mind books with defects on the back cover compared to the front cover.

Front cover has the artwork most of the time where the back cover has the ad page.

Now that you all have seen my book let me explain the grade.

Some here have mentioned that a cover is a cover and you grade it whether the defect is on the front or back cover. you're correct.

Some say that defects on the back cover affect the grade differently then the defect on the front cover. you're also correct.

Now with multiple punch holes thru the cover the book technically is in the good range.
Now with the punch holes thru the back cover and the front cover is clean looking with gloss the book grades on the high good range. A good/very good 3.0.

Now if those same punch holes were thru the front cover the technical grade is still in the good range but it really effects the look of the front cover and art work. So the book would grade on the low good range with this major defect.
Fair/good 1.5- good- 1.8.

I could never see a book with multiple punch holes thru the front cover getting a solid good or good+

Now when it comes to defects you never takes points off, this is such a weird term I always hear.

You list the defects and certain defects are allowed in certain grades.

An example.

You have a 80 year old comic that looks perfect. Sharp corners no spine ticks, no color rubs nothing. Looks like the book had just been printed.

But! There is slight rust on the top staple. That's when you look at grading definitions to find the highest grade that defects is allowed. You don't take points off.
Let's pretend the highest grade for staples with slight rust allowed is the Fine/Very fine range. Then you look at the rest off the book and it looks sweet. A final grade would be 7.5. highest grade allowed with that defect.

Rant over 🤪

Post 51 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross all I heard was 3.0 is highest allowed grade for a Swiss cheese back cover.

And nice book! The good ol days of supes drowning, crushing, and beating to death enemy soldiers.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash thanks, reason I originally picked it up many years ago because it was cheap and I love buying cheap books that I'd never own in mid grade or higher.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross

Not to be argumentative, but it's just a scale of Points = Grade

You start at the bottom and go up to the highest grade/point value that allows the defects the book displays. I start at the top and ask the book why it isn't a freaking TEN and go down the scale of defects until it passes one threshold but not the next. This usually hits at 7.5 (F?)with small creases allowed (on front cover), but disallowed on an 8 (VF?) Maybe a tiny one on a corner if the rest of the cover can pass an 8, according to the overstreet grading guide, anyway. And if memory serves.

"Tired now, boss...dog tired."
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychunn
@southerncross

Not to be argumentative, but it's just a scale of Points = Grade

You start at the bottom and go up to the highest grade/point value that allows the defects the book displays. I start at the top and ask the book why it isn't a freaking TEN and go down the scale of defects until it passes one threshold but not the next. This usually hits at 7.5 (F?)with small creases allowed (on front cover), but disallowed on an 8 (VF?) Maybe a tiny one on a corner if the rest of the cover can pass an 8, according to the overstreet grading guide, anyway. And if memory serves.

"Tired now, boss...dog tired."

Start at the bottom or start at the top doesn't matter. What matters are defects detailed and what grades allow that defect and do on until you get the grade range assigned. Then from there it's a final appraisal to you get the correct grade. Easily done 👍
Post 55 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Grade shock?

Post 56 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
It's incomplete. That's pretty cut and dry; a simple page count gives the results.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
It's incomplete. That's pretty cut and dry; a simple page count gives the results.

->>Yeah, a missing centerfold could be 4 pages of story. That's huge.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Pumping the brakes on my back cover grade shock. The damage there is worse than I remembered and the grade is justified. It's a poor color touch about the size of a dime.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Grading the back cover unequally to the front cover is like a car dealer not considering a dent on the passenger side door as severely as a dent on the driver side door. There are people who will do these things, but I don't agree with either practice.

That's not a valid cargument. It would have to be a ding on the exterior (front cover) compared to a ding on the undercarriage (back cover).

I think it's apt. I'd equate the undercarriage of a car to the interior of a book, and the passenger side as the back cover, as the driver would not see the dent unless he went to the other side of the car and saw it. Just like a slab.
Post 60 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@James42

Submitted 694 books in that submission

Easy enough to miss.

Listed the book yesterday and already found a buyer at $195.

Came out ahead on the book but the seller failed to disclose the damage when I bought the book a few years ago.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I saw this the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYmpKHyYgwQ
Post 62 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@poka
YIKES!

Lessons learned:

1) CGC misses stuff (we should call this 'lesson reinforced')
2) When CGC misses something, they won't own it afterward
3) Leave that jaw-droppingly gorgeous book in the case and call it a day
Post 63 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
I saw this the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYmpKHyYgwQ

I recognize mistakes are made. Any business will make a percentage of them.
I also presume that with our couple hundred dollar books it will happen more often. Cheaper books --> perhaps a bit of corner cutting.

But seriously, how does a golden age $13K book get overlooked with a coupon being cut out the 1st time around? How does that even happen one time for all of eternity? 3 graders missed the coupon the 1st time? Really?
Post 64 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Three graders has become an urban legend buried in the sands of time.
Post 65 IP   flag post
601308 65 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?