Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Grading Opinion?19255

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone.

What grade would ya'll assign to this book based on the information provided?

Thanks.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
2.0-2.5
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS 3.0
CGC 4.5
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
4.0....based on being a golden age book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
3.0, the stain and detached cover bring it down. Otherwise a great book.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Post 7 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
2.0 to 2.5 but I’m never correct….
Post 8 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
4.0....based on being a golden age book.

This.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Also, I don’t see that as <3.0 in any era. CBCS or CGC…
Post 10 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, everyone, for the opinions.

The reason I asked is that CGC has this graded at a 4.0 and I feel like that grade is a little high. However, owning one of the Timely "Remember Pearl Harbor" issues (from Captain America, Marvel Mystery or this one from Young Allies) has always been a grail of mine and these don't come up very often.

So, I need to decide... do I pay too much for a book that doesn't pop up for sale very often or do I hold off and hope another pops at some point? Obviously, I need to decide that answer myself.

And, @GAC and @Davethebrave, I know that there are differing opinions on this but I'm old school in my grading. I don't believe that the age of a book should have any impact on its grade. I believe that each book should be graded by the same standards (as established by the grader) and, if that means that the highest grade of a GA book is 7.0 then the highest grade is a 7.0.

But that's just me. As I said, I absolutely understand that there are differing opinions and I do understand that the grading companies grade "on a curve." So, yea, when ya'll state that this book could be graded as a 4.0 based on the fact that it's a GA book... I get it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Thanks, everyone, for the opinions.

The reason I asked is that CGC has this graded at a 4.0 and I feel like that grade is a little high. However, owning one of the Timely "Remember Pearl Harbor" issues (from Captain America, Marvel Mystery or this one from Young Allies) has always been a grail of mine and these don't come up very often.

So, I need to decide... do I pay too much for a book that doesn't pop up for sale very often or do I hold off and hope another pops at some point? Obviously, I need to decide that answer myself.

And, @GAC and @Davethebrave, I know that there are differing opinions on this but I'm old school in my grading. I don't believe that the age of a book should have any impact on its grade. I believe that each book should be graded by the same standards (as established by the grader) and, if that means that the highest grade of a GA book is 7.0 then the highest grade is a 7.0.

But that's just me. As I said, I absolutely understand that there are differing opinions and I do understand that the grading companies grade "on a curve." So, yea, when ya'll state that this book could be graded as a 4.0 based on the fact that it's a GA book... I get it.

All grading is subjective, if the price is right and you can afford it, then buy it. GA books don't come around that often and hoping for one further down the line will always be a gamble. Conversely, if you disagree with the grade, as the buyer you have the right to offer the seller a fair price for how it presents to you.
Post 12 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I don't believe that the age of a book should have any impact on its grade.

Agreed.
Having 9.8 mean different things depending on the era makes no sense.
A 9.8 should always mean 9.8, etc.

And you're right, that one is definitely overgraded.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumetheliving
All grading is subjective, if the price is right and you can afford it, then buy it. GA books don't come around that often and hoping for one further down the line will always be a gamble. Conversely, if you disagree with the grade, as the buyer you have the right to offer the seller a fair price for how it presents to you.

Right. And I am considering doing just that... making a slightly lower offer.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumetheliving

Right. And I am considering doing just that... making a slightly lower offer.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Post 16 IP   flag post
@consumetheliving Will do.
Post 17 IP   flag post
For now, I've kind of done nothing with this one. I'm still interested in the book at the right price but I have not yet made what I consider to be a fair offer. I may reach out to the dealer in the next few days and see what they say.
Post 18 IP   flag post
600737 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?