Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

At which point should you grade?19229

Collector ronbatman private msg quote post Address this user
I've started doing this series of short (1-minute) videos to help collectors determine at which point you should grade a book. I'm just recording them on Instagram.

Venom 3 was a weird one.
Conan 1 was fairly straightforward.
Hero for Hire 1 surprised me a little.

Anyway, is that sort of thing valuable to you? Are there any issues that you would like me to do? Maybe save you a little time.
Ron
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Grading is a personal choice. Might be for financial/selling reasons, nostalgic or emotional reasons....might be for preservation/conservation reasons or simply cosmetic reasons.

I'm not sure videos on reasons for grading specific books will attract alot of views (I might be wrong). But please do not let my post dissuade you.

All high value books are grading candidates.....all other books would be for more emotional reasons and that will vary from book to book and person to person in my opinion.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
My decisions to grade or not to grade come from if im going to get it signed or sell without signing. This is strictly limited to books with $100 values or more..

IF im getting it signed someday - I wont get it graded. (but I WILL send it off for pressing and cleaning in preparing as the high quality pressers and cleaners have 4-7 month tat times.

IF im not getting it signed but Im going to sell it, i'll get it pressed, cleaned, then graded to sell.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I agree that it's a personal choice and the things you mention are all valid reasons. My goal was to show books that might surprise you. For example: Venom 3 only makes financial sense in a 9.8, no other grade works financially. To me, that was surprising.

Thanks for your comments.
R
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
A great many label chasers out there only care about the number in the white box. I wouldn't be shocked if a great many of those people never read a comic, so when I see heat on a 9.8 that would be frost on a 9.6 or lower, I'm more disappointed than surprised.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
A great many label chasers out there only care about the number in the white box. I wouldn't be shocked if a great many of those people never read a comic, so when I see heat on a 9.8 that would be frost on a 9.6 or lower, I'm more disappointed than surprised.

... unless it's a book I want. Then I happily chuckle.
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbatman
I agree that it's a personal choice and the things you mention are all valid reasons. My goal was to show books that might surprise you. For example: Venom 3 only makes financial sense in a 9.8, no other grade works financially. To me, that was surprising.

Thanks for your comments.
R

Gotcha....yes, this sort of information would be valuable. I would watch videos with this type of insight.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:

I'm not a very good label chaser. I have around 9000 books and 20 graded books.

To your point, the market doesn't make sense sometimes. 9.8 multiple times higher than a 9.6. When you introduce new comic book fans into the market it's great for the hobby but their purchases don't always make sense. Experienced collectors can also fall victim to FOMO.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbatman
Quote:

“I'm not a very good label chaser. I have around 9000 books and 20 graded books.”

“I count that as about 40 long boxes, a decent pile. I have about 400 graded, about 10 long boxes ungraded, and about 20 long boxes of moderns of various publishers one day I will take to a show and sell 4 for a dollar and see how many disappear. Done it before, stuff shrinks pretty well.
I determine what to grade by EBay sales, if it will sell graded for at least $100 in the grade I expect, I at least think about it. I do not ever chase 9.8 though, or expect one. But I don’t do moderns so a 9.8 is more rare anyway.”
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Thelastpearce private msg quote post Address this user
To me, grading is about preservation and conservation. I want certain books graded to preserve their value, not for resale just my own personal benefit. Also I like get books graded that have IMO outstanding artwork and preserve that.

I am not in the hobby to make money, I buy what I like these days and fill in the holes in my older runs.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
do the Jim Lee Hush storyline anaylisis.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I only grade for one reason..... Monetary value to sell.

To me there is no other justification for paying the high cost of having a book slabbed with any 3rd party grading company.

Especially when there are much more cost efficient ways to preserve/display comic books that offer just as good or better preservation qualities than having them trapped inside a CGC or CBCS rattle trap case boiling in their own juices.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
do the Jim Lee Hush storyline analysis.

It's worthwhile grading at this point
Batman 608 - 9.6 and above
Batman 609 - 9.2 and above
Batman 610 - 9.6 and above
Batman 611 - 9.8 and above
Batman 612 - 9.4 and above
Batman 613 - 9.0 and above
Batman 614 - 9.2 and above
Batman 615 - 9.4 and above
Batman 616 - 9.4 and above
Batman 617 - 9.6 and above
Batman 618 - 9.6 and above
Batman 619 - 9.6 and above

Usually, I do this on our Instagram account but this one would take too long. If you like this sort of thing please follow us there. I do most of the videos. https://www.instagram.com/comicspriceguide/
Ron
Post 13 IP   flag post
601323 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?