Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Determining worth and how to store?19219

Collector WndrWmn74 private msg quote post Address this user
A couple of weeks ago, I was given something that belonged to a dear friend of mine who passed (quite suddenly) about a year ago. However, I’m trying to determine it’s worth as well as how I should store it for long periods of time to maintain its integrity.

It is the first draft of the movie/manuscript of Clerks; signed by Kevin Smith, and already authenticated by Beckett.

Again, wondering the value (so as to insure it) and best method of storage. Thank you so much!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure how did your friend have it stored I know if it was a close friend of mine and we had that movie in common that bonded us together like we saw it in highschool together and we just always laughed at how stupid the movie was. I think I would see about getting it framed and hang on the wall so it’s there you live it as a reminder of the hood times you had together. I would prob take it to hobby lobby or o e of them type places that frame stuff is my best guess
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
I would suggest finding an auction house that specializes in Hollywood/Movie meorabilia and speak to them - explain you are looking for valuation for Insurance purposes. They may charge (shouldn't be too much, but I am not sure what too much would be?). Storage? Cool, dry, dark place. You can put it in a magazine bag if you wajt to limit exposure to air? If they say it's worth millions maybe a safety deposit box. Cool piece!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't there a movie prop auction house? You can contact them and ask for an estimate.

You can even reach our to Kevin Smith himself
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Element_Lad private msg quote post Address this user
Contact your library or university and see how they conserve rare books. They will know what to use for storage and what you need to do for the best preservation.
Post 5 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
First draft original? Copy of first draft? Huge difference in value. What did Beckett authenticate? I assume just the signature.

Provenance will matter to determine value if it’s an original draft (and also if a limited but authorized copy).

Storage of paper docs is similar (comics or other paper). I think others covered it already.

Sorry to hear how you came into possession but it is quite an interesting piece of history.

Edit:
Will add a) if a unique original draft then condition details won’t matter as much for value. So while I’d typically advise against a safe deposit box to maximize condition preservation, less an issue here b) drier isn’t better in absolute sense. More important is being in a reasonable range of humidity and avoiding massive swings in temp or humidity. 30-50% may be fine. <25% likely not so good and same with above 55-60%… swinging temps and humidity is bad too.
Post 6 IP   flag post
600758 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?