Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

I Have Some Questions About The Form19218

Collector Bryce private msg quote post Address this user
Hello and good evening everyone. I'm working on filling out the form for some comics and I have a few questions.

1) The Instructions say that Insured Value is what I can find on a site like EBay or a comic book price guide. I don't own any guides and I don't intend to. I have bought some of these off of EBay so would there be any sort of place where I could include the link to prove why I feel it's worth the amount of money that I have chosen?

2) The Comic Summary has New, which could be 26 weeks and is $35, Premium moves it to $215 and 5 days then Slab Only which is 2 weeks and $35. I'm assuming Premium is some sort of Express version but what is the difference between New and Slab Only when both cost $35 and both are $20 for the grading tier? I would assume Slab Only has no grade but it seems it does since there's a $20 charge for it.

3) I have autographed comics that have a COA. Would I send that in with them?

4) I also wanted to ask about sending comics in. I'm sure there's no limit to how many I can send but how does this work? How do I send them? How will they sent back? Is there any sort of guarantee I'll get my stuff back? Are these sent via FedEx or UPS or anything with signature confirmation? Or will they be sent regular USPS like regular mail?

I may have other questions as I am actively trying to fill out this form for my comics to send them in during the sale.

Thank you for any answers everyone and thank you for being so patient and welcoming.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
1. No. Essentially FMV is the MAXIMUM you may receive in the case of loss or damage with CBCS and is also used to determine the grading tier of the book.

2. Slab-Only is meant for books with a verified signature. There is no grading but the price does include signature verification for 1 signature

3. No. CoAs are not taken into account for signature verification purposes. You will have to add the verified signature option to each book with an unwitnessed signature or the signature will count as a defect and lower the grade. The signatures are not guaranteed to pass verification. You can choose to not have the book if verification fails. NOTE: Failing Verification does not mean the signature is fake. Only that CBCS/Beckett could not verify it as authentic

4. You mail the books in. Keep track of them on the dashboard. They mail them back when they are done. You choose what shipping service to have your books sent back. The Fedex option does require a signature when delivered
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Bryce
Hello there! Let me see if I can help.

1) You can use eBay to determine a general value for your submissions by checking how much books like yours sold for. Just make an estimate as to condition and see what you can find. You don't need to justify your value estimate, so don't worry about referencing sources. It won't be necessary.

2) The "Premium" tier is just a way to make your book(s) go through the system faster. If 26 weeks is acceptable you, don't waste your money on Premium. "Slab Only" is just that: no grade but your book goes in a slab. There's a charge for it because even though there's no grade, they still slab the book in the CBCS slab. The label won't have a grade, but everything else is the same. Folks who have original art on sketch covers will use this option if they don't care what grade the book is. They just want to protect the art.

3) Don't send your COAs along with your signed books. They won't make any difference. Signatures will be verified by comparison with a known signature sample. For myself, I hold onto the COAs because a) they're cool and provide a more detailed provenance for the book, and b) if I decide to sell the book, the new owner gets to have everything that goes with it. They tend to appreciate that.

By the way, if you have books with existing signatures - it sounds like you do - make sure to send them in for 'verified' signature and not 'authenticated' signature. The latter is just for signatures witnessed by a CBCS representative and then sent in by the representative.

4) If you aren't sending many books in, just box them up in a Gemini mailer and send them in. If you have quite a few, then you will want to do the cardboard sandwich (sturdy piece of cardboard front and back, taped together) for every 4 ~ 5 books, and then put the cardboard sandwiches together inside a box and mail that. Never, ever, Ever send cardboard sandwiches inside an envelope, not even a padded one. It won't give your books enough protection. Gemini mailer or box only. As for which shipper to use, that's up to you. I use USPS and either choose Priority (faster) or registered (most secure and I can insure for a higher amount). I use Priority when the books aren't that pricey and registered for the money-books. ALWAYS buy insurance. Regardless of how you send your books in, they'll be shipped back via FedEx. Not sure if you can request signature confirmation, though. I always get mine held at a local FedEx store, so I've never checked.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your submissions.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce

1) The Instructions say that Insured Value is what I can find on a site like EBay or a comic book price guide. I don't own any guides and I don't intend to. I have bought some of these off of EBay so would there be any sort of place where I could include the link to prove why I feel it's worth the amount of money that I have chosen?

I use Covrprice dot com to estimate values for both raw and graded books. You can get a monthly subscription if you don't want to commit for too long. It's also a great tool to help determine if a book is "worthy" of getting slabbed after taking into account: the price you bought the book at, the cost of grading, the cost of shipping, and any selling fees (if you sell on eBay, etc)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce

I use Covrprice dot com to estimate values for both raw and graded books. You can get a monthly subscription if you don't want to commit for too long. It's also a great tool to help determine if a book is "worthy" of getting slabbed after taking into account: the price you bought the book at, the cost of grading, the cost of shipping, and any selling fees (if you sell on eBay, etc)

I use CovrPrice, too. I've tried other online price guide/cataloguing sites but they meet my needs the best.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector drloko private msg quote post Address this user
If you have a recent sale of a book in another grade, there are ways of estimating the current value of your book:
https://www.scienceopen.com/document_file/637dab35-19bd-402f-9ed9-760617dd6987/ScienceOpenPreprint/Comic%20Data%20Analysis.pdf
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Thelastpearce private msg quote post Address this user
One thing not covered by the above advisors who did a spectacular job by the way, is when using E-bay, click on the advanced tab and check sold listing so that you what the book actually sold for not what someone has it listed at. Also you can use other sites that sell comics regularly and probably have more reliable values than Ebay.

clickable text
clickable text
clickable text
Post 7 IP   flag post
601347 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?