Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Show your comics got graded for only sentimental reasons19212

Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone want to show comics they got graded for personal reasons, not for value/money.

This is one my first comics i remember owning and really got me into Dr. Strange

This comic is what made me really get into Thanos. After reading it he became my favorite villain and I collected every comic i could find with him in it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
The first comic I bought as an adult is this exact book which I later took to a con for the autograph.

Because, well... it just seemed the thing to do after choosing the avatar.

Texas flag on a comic book cover?!? Well yeah!

One of the most significant and beautifully drawn comics there is, and I got two of the three autographs back in the day.

Post 2 IP   flag post
@figment I'm curious, have any stories why these are important to you
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
First and only time I met Todd mcfarlane. The 9.4 book was dropped because some stupid kid was running at convention and knocked book outta my hand. Pretty much last convention I've ever been to until this coming megacon on Orlando in March.

Post 4 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
any comic I grade is sentimental. not for resale (unless I really really need the money).
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector trooperTK602 private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve had this thing in a bag for decades! The fact that it graded a 9 was a shock.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Element_Lad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
6.0 first gambit. He is one of my favorite characters and it was the first comic I bought after I started working. It's actually being shipped back from cbcs right now.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
As a kid I loved dinosaurs, which is probably one of the reasons why I still love Godzilla. Nowadays, I have a fondness for error books. Because of all that, I had to have this worthless-if-it's-not-a-9.8 book graded because a) DINOSAURS!! and b) it has one of my favourite errors: a double cover. It's the past and the present in one slab.

Post 9 IP   flag post
@trooperTK602 Did you throw the bag away? May want that lucky bag.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Some of the first comics I bought/owned (signed much later). I still remember buying the Venom 2099 off the rack at a gas station lol

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector trooperTK602 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaz13
@trooperTK602 Did you throw the bag away? May want that lucky bag.

Yeah, the bag the comic came in was tossed out LONG ago. I was like seven. I think it was one of those three packs back in the day. I don’t remember what the other two comics were.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Jgwalters100 cool, love to see it when you receive it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Twelve years ago, I discovered I live just a couple miles away from Mike Royer. I reached out to him hoping to meet him and get a few things signed, and we've been good friends since.

I drove him to SDCC 2019 because it would allow him to bring many more items to sell than if he flew. When we arrived Preview night on Wednesday, I dragged him over to the CBCS booth and got these books I purchased from him witnessed and subbed.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
And it just dawned on me I should have asked him to inscribe it to me so it would be mentioned on the label.

Fail.

Post 15 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaz13
@figment I'm curious, have any stories why these are important to you

I edited the original post with some comments.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
My favorite cover ever - I actually got it signed by Jim Lee at his last signing (and the grade went from 9.4 to 9.6 after a press), but I haven't taken a new picture.:

While it is worth something, I acquired this as one of my favorite stories/books of all time:

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Twelve years ago, I discovered I live just a couple miles away from Mike Royer. I reached out to him hoping to meet him and get a few things signed, and we've been good friends since.

I drove him to SDCC 2019 because it would allow him to bring many more items to sell than if he flew. When we arrived Preview night on Wednesday, I dragged him over to the CBCS booth and got these books I purchased from him witnessed and subbed.

Anyone notice how the guy with his grubby mitts on Black Panther put his face on crooked that morning?
Post 18 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user

The first comic I ever got was a copy of this book - which I still have. It would probably be a 0.5, with its torn and detached cover, innumerable wrinkles and bends, and rusty staples. But I love it, because it's the book that got me started in the hobby so many years ago.

So when I was going to meet Stan Lee, there was no question about what I would have him sign. But I didn't want to seal away my much loved original where I could never touch it again. I therefore bought a presentable copy and had him sign it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@James42
Love the story behind your book. That's awesome!
Post 20 IP   flag post
@James42 Definitely very cool story
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Siggy I think if i lived closes to a comic artist I'd eventually get myself in trouble. I'd have so many questions I'd probably ask them and probably eventually get on their nerves
Post 22 IP   flag post
Recently got this back, definitely didn't get graded/signed for the money . I was quite awful in picking up comics of value when i was young, and this comic had a double digit value so for a little while was my most valuable comic. Also was my first what if, i didn't know alternate versions of characters was a thing. Plus, I also just thought the the simple story of wolverine being an agent, eventually taking over SHIELD was fun.

Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
That would be none

I Only grade for monetary resale

There are simply much more affordable ways to display & Store Comic Books that offer just as good or better protection than 3rd party rattle trap slabs.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I purchased this a few years ago for my wife, she asked me to have it slabbed. Took me a while but she loved it when she saw it slabbed. Money well spent, even though value-wise, it doesn't make sense.

Post 25 IP   flag post
@sportshort Sounds like it was worth it
Post 26 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@enaz13 - I guess if you want a happy wife, then I guess so.

LOL!
Post 27 IP   flag post
615781 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?