Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

How Do I Verify Old Autographs?19192

Collector Bryce private msg quote post Address this user
I have some very old comics that were signed at comic conventions. I was a first hand witness to these autographs and they are written out to me. My question is I was working on filling out the paperwork for them. Some of them are before 2000. I tried to click on the calendar to go back to the date but they only go back a month at a time. Is there any other way to do this? How would I know if I'm doing this the right way? I would hate to send my comics in and find out I did everything wrong.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If you are authenticating them you dont put in date. Only witnessed used dates if I understood correctly.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
First thing: Welcome to the forum!

For signatures that are already on books, the date doesn't matter. You'll be submitting for signature verification. Dates only matter for signatures that are being authenticated, which is a signature witnessed by a representative of CBCS and then sent immediately in for grading by that representative. If you're being asked for a date, then you need to switch to the form for signature verification. That form won't ask for a date, just the name of the signator.

Best of luck!! It sounds like you may have some very cool books.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
No worries, if it’s wrong, they will send you an email.

I had my dates wrong and they sent me an email and they fixed it.

Just be prepared to wait…. The total time for verification, pressing, and grading is about 8-10 months.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Bryce private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
If you are authenticating them you dont put in date. Only witnessed used dates if I understood correctly.

These would be verified as I was there at the convention and they are written out to me. I'm just wondering how I'd put these into the system. I'm not even sure I have the dates right. I think it was twenty years ago on a Friday but it may have been Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
First thing: Welcome to the forum!

For signatures that are already on books, the date doesn't matter. You'll be submitting for signature verification. Dates only matter for signatures that are being authenticated, which is a signature witnessed by a representative of CBCS and then sent immediately in for grading by that representative. If you're being asked for a date, then you need to switch to the form for signature verification. That form won't ask for a date, just the name of the signator.

Best of luck!! It sounds like you may have some very cool books.

Thank you, it's good to be here. They are pretty cool. I doubt they're worth any money but they're worth the world to me. I was very young when I got them and it was my first comic convention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
No worries, if it’s wrong, they will send you an email.

I had my dates wrong and they sent me an email and they fixed it.

Just be prepared to wait…. The total time for verification, pressing, and grading is about 8-10 months.

They can tell what dates they were actually done even if I don't know? That's awesome. I do have some others that I bought from comic shops where I don't know if they're legit or not. They claim they are but who knows? I can roughly make out who signed them but I have no idea if they're the real person or not. I assume they are because a few of them are signed by people that no one would think about such as the letterer. I trust they would be able to tell me if they are authentic or not once I send them in. I'm okay with the wait. I just look forward to having them in a slab and preserved instead of being concerned about if they're safe in a plastic cover with a board like other comics.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
My apologies. But verified is with an authorized representative from cbcs or cgc watching the signature being made. You were not authorized at the time so you don't count.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce
I doubt they're worth any money but they're worth the world to me.

Best reason ever to get something slabbed!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Track17 private msg quote post Address this user
"The Verified Signature Program is a CBCS exclusive service that authenticates unwitnessed signatures that have been obtained by collectors over the years"

If you selected 'first verified' then there shouldn't be a spot to put a date.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
They can tell what dates they were actually done even if I don't know? That's awesome

No...but that would be awesome.
Post 9 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

These would be verified as I was there at the convention and they are written out to me. I'm just wondering how I'd put these into the system. I'm not even sure I have the dates right. I think it was twenty years ago on a Friday but it may have been Saturday.

Doesn't matter.

For "verification", dates are irrelevant. They don't care when, since it can't be proven. No date will be on the label.

Actual "witnessed" sigs will have dates, since they know when they watched them being signed.

Yours will be sent in to be "verified" so no date is necessary.

Like someone else said...if you're being asked for a date, you're on the wrong form.

Good luck 👍
Post 10 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't matter.

For "verification", dates are irrelevant. They don't care when, since it can't be proven. No date will be on the label.

Actual "witnessed" sigs will have dates, since they know when they watched them being signed.

Yours will be sent in to be "verified" so no date is necessary.

Like someone else said...if you're being asked for a date, you're on the wrong form.

Good luck 👍

This ^^

I used the wrong form and they emailed me a with the correction. you don’t have to worry about making a mistake because they will fix it for you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
597868 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?