Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeQuestions

ASM #179 Whitman variant19188

Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
I was rummaging through my drek pile and I came across this ASM #179 Whitman variant. Looks like an 8.0 to maybe 9.0 to me. I've not paid attention to Whitman variants before. Are Whitman's a thing? What's the value? Grade it? Your counsel please, gentlemen.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
If it helps; “whitman” copies as an early Direct Market variation make up less than 5% of the total copies produced. If the misconceptions of both newsstands and directs are ever widely cleared then it has potential.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Some Whitman variants are genuinely scarce and go for big dough- most are not slammers but do get a premium- but not as a rule of thumb.

My advice is to check eBay, sold and active listings.

If no other copies are available, it’s probably worth a premium.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
If it helps; “whitman” copies as an early Direct Market variation make up less than 5% of the total copies produced. If the misconceptions of both newsstands and directs are ever widely cleared then it has potential.

If you have a link that substantiates the bolded statement, please post it up.

I'd be curious to see some info on this.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmmmm
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash

If you have a link that substantiates the bolded statement, please post it up.

I'd be curious to see some info on this.
really more of a deduction.

The Direct Market was roughly 6% by 1979. This includes Comic shops, department stores, mail order, etc that did not see Newsstand magazines and had there own distributors.

Whitman was a subsidiary of Western Publishing hence the moniker of Whitman though not actually having anything to do with Whitman. There are known “Whitman” ASM as early as #165 in 1977. If Western Publishing was producing a Direct Market “variant” 2 years before the Direct Market reached 6% it would stand to reason that the percentage would be lower.

Edit: that would assume Whitmans in question are not later prints or reprints like Star Wars #1 which had a Whitman style Diamond price box on later prints/reprints included in multi packs. of course a later print and reprint should be notated in the indicia and on the cover for a particular print in the case of SW1. ASM predates those, but ASM issues could have been a part of multi packs.

clickable text
clickable text

Post 6 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like maybe a $20 book. Nothing to get too excited about. Thanks for your insight, gentlemen.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Hmmmmm

Errr…huh?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Fads89 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
600777 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?