Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Long Beach Antique Market19127

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
To all my CBCS buddies on the West Coast, what do you know about this flea market? My wife and I are visiting my daughter who lives near LA next week, and she is planning on taking us there on Sunday, February 19th. If you have visited it before, let me know what to expect (any decent comic sellers there?). And if you live nearby, feel free to try to meet up face-to-face and in person!

Here’s a link to their website:

clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Haven't heard of it but definitely interested in checking it out. I don't get out of church until 11:30, I'll probably make it there around 1:30-2. If you're still around, might be able to meet up with you. Have a safe trip
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 - Thanks, Gary. We fly into LAX Saturday morning. I will let you know what time we plan on being there when I find out. And if I get there before you, I might have a chance of picking something up before you buy all the books!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Lol, save some for me. I set aside all the adventure books for you, I'll bring those to see if you need any. Still have your number, ill shoot you a text when I'm heading that way
Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo I don't know the show Ed, but I know that area really well, moved away less than 3 years ago. A little history in case you are interested: Looks like the show is at the stadium for Long Beach City College (not to be confused with Cal State Long Beach), on the border of Long Beach and Lakewood. The aerospace industry made that area ground zero for baby boomer migration to California in the 40's and 50's. Lakewood had a sign around 1952 that said, "The fastest growing city in America". It was very blue collar, small affordable homes at the time. Long Beach airport (looks like something out of an old movie) was the first airport in Southern California and coastal Long Beach was where the early department stores were located. It was kind of the cosmopolitan city of Southern California until earthquakes and freeways changed things. About 5 minutes from the show is Heartwell Golf Course, a little par 3 where Tiger Woods started golfing. About 20 minutes away is the Navy Golf course where he moved to when he was older. Long Beach Poly High School, once famous for putting players in the NFL, is one of the better known high schools in the country. Wilson high school, known for "country club" sports of Golf, Tennis and Baseball is also the story behind the movie "Freedom Writers". I think both are over 100 years old.
Enjoy your trip, I would definitely meet up with you if I was still in the area.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia - Thanks for the history lesson. I am sorry that you will not be able to go.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia do you moonlight as a tour guide? If not, you should consider it, lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
I will be visiting family at Pacific Palisades and Santa Monica in the beginning of the summer. Any good LCS recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
I will be visiting family at Pacific Palisades and Santa Monica in the beginning of the summer. Any good LCS recommendations? Thanks in advance!

There is a LCS in Santa Monica called Geoffrey's Hi De Ho Comics - They are a pretty great shop.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
@ThorneArt Cool. That is about a mile from my cousin’s house.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I've been there, I think the location is called Veteran's stadium. I've only been there twice, If you like old used stuff it's the place to go. I only found a couple of places selling comics but that was a couple of years ago, once during the pandemic so I don't know if there are more now. I did pick up a couple of comics, although I can't recall what they were but I had to go through some long boxes to find them. To summarize, for antiques - awesome, for comics - not so much. For comics in or around L.A. there is Golden Apple, I think they're on Melrose (people-watching on Melrose alone is worth the price of admission). Enjoy your time.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Have a good, safe trip Ed!!!! Enjoy the time with your daughter!!! Make sure to pick up a new fishing lure with the comics!! 😁
Post 12 IP   flag post
I was able to meet up with @Batman66 and his lovely wife at the flea market and then catch a bite to eat with them. I can’t believe how nice everyone is that I have met through this forum.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@esaravo it was great to meet you and your amazing family. It was good to put a face to one of the patriarchs of this forum. Hope you had a wonderful vacation.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Met up with the legendary @flanders today in Santa Monica at Geoffrey’s Hi De Ho Comics. Can you believe this guy took the time to meet me on his birthday? Such a humble and gracious person. Once again I am blown away by how great everyone is on this forum. We were able to chat for a while at the comic store and then over coffees and donuts. My trip to California might not have been the greatest for finding comics, but it could not have been any better for meeting awesome people! Thanks again James, and Happy Birthday!

Post 15 IP   flag post
598098 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?