Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

Jim Shooter Chronology19099

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Would anyone have a list or link to a chronology of comics that Shooter worked on (Edit/Plotted) at during his short stint at Marvel when he was just out of high school and just left DC. Appx 1970?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
As I understand it, in that time period at Marvel he didn't do any solo work at all - he 'co-plotted' a few things - and no actual scripting. Apparently, it was this minimal work that contributed to his decision to return to DC.

I've tried to find if there's a record of his early 70's work at Marvel, but I haven't had any luck.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Try this, especially the “Work History” links.

clickable text
Post 3 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo - Yes, thank you had reviewed that but it didn't contain any of his month in 1970 that he worked on which living at the YMCA/before going back to Pittsburg.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
How about GCD?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O - I tried, but couldn't find any references in between DC and mid-70's Marvel work.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think this will answer any of your questions, but it's a wonderful excerpt from "Chris Claremont's X-Men program," how much of a pain in the ass Claremont was to Shooter, but Chris did have a wonderful run at Marvel with everything he wrote. The Jim Shooter part starts around 10:30 into the show It's worth watching the whole thing, if you want to skip to the Jim Shooter part - 10:30 into the production.

clickable text
Post 7 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
How about GCD?

This is my go-to for all comic book credits.
Post 8 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by makahuka
I don't think this will answer any of your questions, but it's a wonderful excerpt from "Chris Claremont's X-Men program," how much of a pain in the ass Claremont was to Shooter, but Chris did have a wonderful run at Marvel with everything he wrote. The Jim Shooter part starts around 10:30 into the show It's worth watching the whole thing, if you want to skip to the Jim Shooter part - 10:30 into the production.

clickable text

Didn’t watch the video but assume X-Men 137 was referenced. Recently read “Marvel Comics: The Untold Story” and they go into some detail of Shooter’s “help” with several issues…
Post 9 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave, they did reference the killing off of a character, but it was really awesome to watch what the team did with facilitating the X-Men run between Claremont and Shooter, and the expansion of mutants in comics. I don't know if it was "help"🤣🤣🤣.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector ChuckyG private msg quote post Address this user

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector ChuckyG private msg quote post Address this user
I put all of this together in about 4 minutes. C'mon, dude! Straight from GCD...

Script
Jim Shooter If Vengeance Fails!
comic story / 19 pages Super-Villain Team-Up (1975 series) #3
December 1975 Marvel

Script
Tony Isabella; Jim Shooter (see notes) Resurrection
comic story / 17 pages Ghost Rider (1973 series) #19
August 1976 Marvel

Script
Gerry Conway (pages 1-2, 6, 11, 16); Steve Englehart (pages 3, 7, 10, 14-15, 17); Jim Shooter (pages 22-31) At Last: The Decision!
comic story / 17 pages The Avengers (1963 series) #151
September 1976 Marvel

Script
Archie Goodwin (credited) (plot); Jim Shooter (credited) (script) When Calls the Controller
comic story / 17 pages Iron Man (1968 series) #90
September 1976 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter (credited as J. Shooter) The Masque of the Green Death!
comic story / 17 pages Marvel Chillers (1975 series) #7
October 1976 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter (credited); Marv Wolfman (credited) (plot) Target: Death!
comic story / 17 pages Daredevil (1964 series) #141
January 1977 Marvel

Script
Bill Mantlo (credited) (pages 1-6); Jim Shooter (credited) (pages 7-17) Death on the Bridge to Heaven!
comic story / 17 pages Marvel Two-in-One (1974 series) #23
January 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter (script); Gerry Conway (plot) The Private War of Doctor Doom!
comic story / 17 pages The Avengers (1963 series) #156
February 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter (credited as J. Shooter); Bill Mantlo (credited as B. Mantlo) Does Anyone Remember...The Hijacker!?
Black Goliath; The Thing / comic story / 17 pages Marvel Two-in-One (1974 series) #24
February 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter; Gerry Conway (plot) ...And There Was Lightmaster!
comic story / 17 pages The Spectacular Spider-Man (1976 series) #3
February 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter When Avengers Clash!!
comic story / 17 pages The Avengers (1963 series) #158
April 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter (credited); Gerry Conway (credited as G. Conway) (plot) Man-Bull Means Mayhem
comic story / 17 pages Daredevil (1964 series) #144
April 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter; Gerry Conway (plot) Wrath of the Water Wizard!
comic story / 17 pages Ghost Rider (1973 series) #23
April 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter Siege by Stealth and Storm!
comic story / 17 pages The Avengers (1963 series) #159
May 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter (credited) (script); Gerry Conway (credited) (plot) Danger Rides the Bitter Wind!
comic story / 17 pages Daredevil (1964 series) #145
May 1977 Marvel

Script
Len Wein (credited) (plot); Jim Shooter (credited) (plot); Archie Goodwin (credited) (plot); Bill Mantlo (credited) (script) Enter: the Mad Thinker!
comic story / 17 pages Fantastic Four (1961 series) #182
May 1977 Marvel

Script
Archie Goodwin (plot); Jim Shooter (plot); Chris Claremont (script) Bridge of No Return
comic story / 17 pages Ms. Marvel (1977 series) #5
May 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter ...The Trial!
comic story / 17 pages The Avengers (1963 series) #160
June 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter [no title indexed]
letters page / 1 page The Avengers (1963 series) #160
June 1977 Marvel

Script
Jim Shooter (credited) Duel!
comic story / 17 pages Daredevil (1964 series) #146
June 1977 Marvel

Script
Bill Mantlo (credited) (script); Jim Shooter (plot); Roger Stern (plot); Ralph Macchio (plot); Len Wein (plot); Roger Slifer (plot) Battleground: the Baxter Building!
comic story / 17 pages Fantastic Four (1961 series) #183
June 1977 Marvel
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyG

@ChuckyG - Yup, but again, that is all mid-70's. I am looking for his activity at Marvel in between when he left DC and his long term Marvel stint which occurred in the Mid 70's. Basically, he worked for Marvel for about a month in 1970. That is what I was looking for.

Post 13 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyG

@ChuckyG - Yup, but again, that is all mid-70's. I am looking for his activity at Marvel in between when he left DC and his long term Marvel stint which occurred in the Mid 70's. Basically, he worked for Marvel for about a month in 1970. That is what I was looking for.

I believe his output (or in the case of plotting and editing, input) during that time was zero.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector ShallaBal private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding his late 1969 three-week Marvel stint: something that Shooter has mentioned in various interviews is how he spotted a "major mistake" in a book he was given by Stan to edit/proofread. He refers to it as a Millie the Model book where the story involves Mars. Awhile back I researched this and the only story at that time that fits this description is Chili #10, which contains the story "The Model Goes to Mars!", so this is one book we know he worked on. Chili #10 was cover-dated Feb. 1970 and on sale in Nov. 1969.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes you just gotta bid on auctions...

I messaged a few people selling this book. I offered $550 to one guy (who is selling sneakers mostly). He's selling this for $950. His counter offer was $850. I declined and decided to bid on the auction.

Just won the book for $410. Will be cracked and heading to CGC for the shooter signing.

Post 16 IP   flag post
601275 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?