Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

I'm starting to like the beaten up old Silver and Golden Age books!19040

Collector CWill2021 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm beginning to really like the older more beaten up Silver Age and Golden Age books - more than the pristine high grade (very high priced) books.

Just my opinion, but the low-grades better represent what a good old copy of a comic book should look like when it's 60, 70, or 80+ years old. They seem to have more charm to them.

Kind of like this: if you found an old stack of comics in your grandmothers attic or basement.. the surprise of just getting some of these older books no matter what condition they are in.

Some examples.. just saw this Whiz Comics #5 from 1940, and Incredible Hulk # 1 from 1963.. pretty cool.

Anyone else agree? Or are my Spidey-senses going nuts?

Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I agree.

There's nothing wrong with a mint book, but I'm beginning to enjoy the nostalgia a little love imparts to certain books.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
I like them because it's all I can afford.
Post 3 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
low grade is better than no grade!
I've really come to appreciate lower grade older stuff as well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I completely understand how those crunchy old books can be appealing. They've had a life just like I've had a life! And of course, like @Jgwalters100 said, sometimes that's what's affordable.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in total agreement!!! I enjoy beat up SA and GA comics!! I also love it when there is a date stamp or a store stamp. Heck, I even like the ones where the seller used a grease pen to change the price!!!! It all gives that comic an unique feel to it.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly I never cared at all as long as they were complete. Before grading a book was a book to me. It's still pretty much that way unless I'm going to sell it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing wrong with those crunchy old ones, but we generally try to stay at 2.0 or better.

Post 8 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O
WOW, that book is fantastic! Awesome cover. Don Heck is an under-rated artist.

I'm also fond of the arrival stamps/scrawls, store stamps, library stamps, and the military PX 'star' stamp. Gives the book a verifiable history and provenance.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@figment
Those are great books. Great G.A. covers.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWill2021
I'm starting to [look] like the beaten up looking old Silver and Golden Age books!

I read this wrong and expected a photo of you looking haggard to be posted.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
"Kind of like this: if you found an old stack of comics in your grandmothers attic or basement.. the surprise of just getting some of these older books no matter what condition they are in."

I get what you're saying as I have an appreciation for vintage books that show their "patina" as well but I'll throw a little curveball in your scenario.

Let's say you were with your friend or cousin and you stumble across the same stack of books and there's two copies of Hulk 1 and they look like the books below. Seeing as you found the stack, you get first dibs but your grandmother says you have to split the pile with your friend....which Hulk 1 book do you select?

I love the look of older/used books too but that high grade book looks pretty awesome too. lol!!

I do understand the spirit of your post though...🍻.

Post 12 IP   flag post
We'd get into a fight for the 9.0 and rip the cover off during the brawl, ending up with two CGC 1.0 Hulk #1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
"Kind of like this: if you found an old stack of comics in your grandmothers attic or basement.. the surprise of just getting some of these older books no matter what condition they are in."

I get what you're saying as I have an appreciation for vintage books that show their "patina" as well but I'll throw a little curveball in your scenario.

Let's say you were with your friend or cousin and you stumble across the same stack of books and there's two copies of Hulk 1 and they look like the books below. Seeing as you found the stack, you get first dibs but your grandmother says you have to split the pile with your friend....which Hulk 1 book do you select?

I love the look of older/used books too but that high grade book looks pretty awesome too. lol!!

I do understand the spirit of your post though...🍻.

Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CWill2021 lol!!! 🍻🀣
Post 14 IP   flag post
Nope I'm not very old or haggard, sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
I'm starting to [look] like the beaten up looking old Silver and Golden Age books!

I read this wrong and expected a photo of you looking haggard to be posted.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Cheers - but yep of course the 9.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@CWill2021 lol!!! 🍻🀣
Post 16 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics - I agree, better than no grade!

Post 17 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I had to think on this one.

First, my friend and I would make four piles.

Pile number 1 is for comics he wants that I don't.

Pile number 2 is for books I want that he doesn't.

Pile number 3 is for books that neither one of us really care about.

And finally, pile number 4 is where we both want the book.

I'm not a huge Hulk guy, so I would be happy with the 1.0 and a number of picks of pile 4. The number of picks would be contingent on what's there. If there is a copy of Avengers 4, I'd probably give him both Hulks in exchange.
Post 18 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I've always loved the beat up books. Collecting for myself I never cared about grades. I used to keep them in a shoe box under my bed.
I think even coverless are books awesome. I've got a few hundred coverless golden age books around somewhere.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
They've had a life just like I've had a life!

"Tell me how he died".
"I want to tell you...how he lived".

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I had to think on this one.

First, my friend and I would make four piles.

Pile number 1 is for comics he wants that I don't.

Pile number 2 is for books I want that he doesn't.

Pile number 3 is for books that neither one of us really care about.

And finally, pile number 4 is where we both want the book.

I'm not a huge Hulk guy, so I would be happy with the 1.0 and a number of picks of pile 4. The number of picks would be contingent on what's there. If there is a copy of Avengers 4, I'd probably give him both Hulks in exchange.

This is a very diplomatic way divvying up the goods!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Cheers - but yep of course the 9.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@CWill2021 lol!!! 🍻🀣

But for sure, nice presenting or not too destroyed, low grade books are fantastic! I 've got a bunch in my collection.
Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post
@GAC
Nothing wrong with those! I'm jealous of your ASM #14.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd Thanks!! Low grade goodness is great!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
it's certainly cheaper
Post 26 IP   flag post
@andy49
No kidding! That's why I have an ASM #1.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
Low grade are just fine, as others have already pointed out, it’s the most affordable way to have some of these books.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoy owning these two hot messes:

Post 29 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia
Those are BOSS! The one signed by Otto Binder is very cool.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601285 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?