Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
One area where I think CBCS was smart; they probably realized they couldn't compete with CGC's 20 day TAT on modern books, so they focused on getting Vintage TATs down. CBCS is now 8 weeks for Vintage while CGC is about 1 year.
Post 26 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
CBCS is cheaper unless something changed?

They cost more, take longer, and sell for less.

Winning!

Post 27 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
What am I missing here? Why is the such a difference in values for the same book other than being graded by different companies?

The top is CGC and the bottom is CBCS.

@OGJackster - Best comp is the 9.2 to which both have 2022 sales. And interestingly, the CBCS has the higher sold price.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldbobt
I don't know why CGC retains such a strong hold on the market.

There is an easy answer why CGC retains their top spot. 95% of submitters care only about 3 things:
resale value
turnaround times
cost

Don't forget about the gift grades.
Post 29 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

I've heard, from random people on the internet, that Beckett's customer service has always been atrocious and as the parent company of CBCS, is likely the reason why CBCS hasn't been able to independently make the decision to allocate more resources towards customer service.

This has to be the case. As I've mentioned before, it makes no sense at all that the staff of a company can continuously take part in the various cover contest threads while completely ignoring the hundreds of absent CS threads.... unless their hands are tied.

Doubt anyone from Beckett reads this forum but it would be nice if they did.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:

I've heard, from random people on the internet, that Beckett's customer service has always been atrocious and as the parent company of CBCS, is likely the reason why CBCS hasn't been able to independently make the decision to allocate more resources towards customer service.

This has to be the case. As I've mentioned before, it makes no sense at all that the staff of a company can continuously take part in the various cover contest threads while completely ignoring the hundreds of absent CS threads.... unless their hands are tied.

I've heard unflattering things about Beckett's CS, too. They probably restructured CBCS's CS and now it sucks as much as theirs does. I also understand that it's Beckett's policy to offer no shipping options aside from FedEx, so we can thank them for that BS, too.
Post 31 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I can see them ignoring customer service requests if customer service isn't their job. Plus, they aren't at work 24/7.

At least they are a part of the community instead the right old twats that some of the higher ups at various grading companies can be.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:

I can see them ignoring customer service requests if customer service isn't their job. Plus, they aren't at work 24/7.

At least they are a part of the community instead the right old twats that some of the higher ups at various grading companies can be.

A higher up saying "not my problem" doesn't seem very inviting and I'm sure they prefer you keep that quiet.

CGC has a middleman between the forums and staff. He gets answers for people.

I guess I'd appreciate that more than playing guess the cover games with the higher ups while 50% of the forum members keep repeating how there is zero customer service.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Far superior slabs and tighter grading

Couldn't agree more.

It's too bad they don't have the support behind it, and, didn't find a way to advance at all when people were fed up with CGC's long, Covid-induced TATs.

I saw so many people on IG angrily saying they were moving to CBCS because of CGC's issues. I think they all went back.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A higher up saying "not my problem" doesn't seem very inviting and I'm sure they prefer you keep that quiet.

I guess I'd appreciate that more than playing guess the cover games with the higher ups while 50% of the forum members keep repeating how there is zero customer service.

No one in moderation is a paid employee. The two Steve are the only CBCS employees (past or current) that I know who routinely post on the boards. Are they the ones you are intent on calling out? Neither one has ever told a board member that something wasn't their problem. I know both Steve's have gone out of their way to assist people when they could. However, at the end of the day, it isn't the job they are/were being paid to do.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I will never forget that forum guy CGC Mike defending the acetate cover during acetate-gate.
Don't care if he's an employee just reciting a canned answer.
Don't care what he was told.
He sounded like a real jackass with his initial response.

I trust that dude as much as I trust a cobra
Post 36 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Post 37 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No one in moderation is a paid employee. The two Steve are the only CBCS employees (past or current) that I know who routinely post on the boards. Are they the ones you are intent on calling out? Neither one has ever told a board member that something wasn't their problem. I know both Steve's have gone out of their way to assist people when they could. However, at the end of the day, it isn't the job they are/were being paid to do.

I stated there is no help from staff in the forum despite their presence. You don't have to work so hard confirming this or finding reasons. Like I said, the only one that makes sense is tied hands.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I will never forget that forum guy CGC Mike defending the acetate cover during acetate-gate.
Don't care if he's an employee just reciting a canned answer.
Don't care what he was told.
He sounded like a real jackass with his initial response.

I trust that dude as much as I trust a cobra

In fairness, he was asked what CGC had to say for itself and he found out. He was just repeating what his bosses told him to, instead of ignoring the complaints. He will help people out who come there with problem slabs.
Post 40 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I stated there is no help from staff in the forum despite their presence. You don't have to work so hard confirming this or finding reasons. Like I said, the only one that makes sense is tied hands.

I'm pretty sure I help people here quite often. Can you go through my posts and find where I told someone something was "not my problem"?
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
I can see them ignoring customer service requests if customer service isn't their job.

You may do just that. I am only referring to the numerous posts where that doesn't happen.
And no, I would not go through anyone's posts nor did I ever mention your name or claim you ever said that. Someone else tried to imply I did.

I was responding facetiously to:

"I can see them ignoring customer service requests if customer service isn't their job."

If that is in fact true, that's a more interesting topic.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Post 43 IP   flag post
@OGJackster No, but you can usually profit off of it.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Comiclink shouldn't have run two 9.8s of the same book in the same auction, regardless of grading company. It's a disservice to the seller.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
In my opinion CBCS should offer significantly better pricing for books with FMV over $1,000. Getting more of these type of books into CBCS slabs has a market awareness value for CBCS and it gives the brand more prestige. Even with steep discounts from current pricing, the revenue from grading 10 of these type books could be similar to the revenue from grading 50 moderns.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Well, the cases are clearly better on the Batman/Harley Quinn CGC
And the labels are soooo much better.
And the brand.. I mean c'mon... it's CGC. The world leader.

They're both (likely) accurately graded, but who cares? That's not really important.
The extra $200 makes total sense in the grand scheme.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

I'm pretty sure I help people here quite often. Can you go through my posts and find where I told someone something was "not my problem"?
Most definitely, Steve is extremely helpful every time he's on here. He does a lot for the people on these forums. He is always looking up people's orders to give them the most up to date status, provides valuable information on what's happening behind the scenes, he even saw a post I made about an address label I found on the front page of a comic I was wanting to get graded (I was trying to decide if I should try to remove it) and he offered to remove it for me if I got pressing on it (which I did, it was delivered to CBCS just before Christmas).

Like I have said before, you're the best Steve!
Post 48 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Of the books that I had graded by CBCS with the intent to sell (to generate funds to buy books I needed), I've gotten full fair market value or very close to.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
Of the books that I had graded by CBCS with the intent to sell (to generate funds to buy books I needed), I've gotten full fair market value or very close to.

It really comes down to the book. I think people trust that a modern 9.8 by either company is the same book. I think Golden Age is a little different. I think people assume CGC has the handle on grading old books because they market it so well. When old books hit record sales it's always a CGC label so I think people equate the two. When a collection is found and given a Pedigree name, they market it big time. CGC does a great job posting those record books, etc. all over social media and in email. They simply work hard at it.

Now, maybe you'll say yours were GA, but for the most part I think what I stated is true.
Post 50 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
"When old books hit record sales it's always a CGC label so I think people equate the two."

In general, CGC has had a 15 year headstart. This is why the majority of older books are in CGC slabs because they were the only game in town at the time (PGX doesn't count).

Third party grading originated out of a need to impartially grade and assess vintange/older books. I would hazard a guess that a very significant percentage of important/key vintage books were graded by CGC when there was no other choice.

So, this is exactly why sales records and news about vintage books will likely carry a CGC label...they have the luxury of being first.....for a long time.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

So, this is exactly why sales records and news about vintage books will likely carry a CGC label...they have the luxury of being first.....for a long time.

Of course. I was just pointing out the reality of it. People see the CGC label, not any of the others.

But even in the current day, these high quality collections get sent to CGC (like Promise), instead of to the other companies, and despite their botched up efforts with overgrading and missed cover replacements, the marketing hype shows CGC labels. As much as I dislike them and certainly don't trust them.. they will always have the name recognition working for them. They will always, in general, be worth more because of it.
Post 52 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Of course. I was just pointing out the reality of it. People see the CGC label, not any of the others.

But even in the current day, these high quality collections get sent to CGC (like Promise), instead of to the other companies, and despite their botched up efforts with overgrading and missed cover replacements, the marketing hype shows CGC labels. As much as I dislike them and certainly don't trust them.. they will always have the name recognition working for them. They will always, in general, be worth more because of it.

It would be interesting to know, historically speaking, if a #2 marketshare company has ever overtaken the #1 company. I believe Pepsi or Dr. Pepper was first to market before Coca Cola but I believe Coca Cola is the #1 soft drink company...I could be wrong though.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

It would be interesting to know, historically speaking, if a #2 marketshare company has ever overtaken the #1 company. I believe Pepsi or Dr. Pepper was first to market before Coca Cola but I believe Coca Cola is the #1 soft drink company...I could be wrong though.

I think Coke is the #1 pop (soda for the weirdos) but as for companies, I think PepsiCo could be larger due to the brands it owns. It was at some point anyway.

As for your question, there was a time when Apple struggled behind Microsoft.
Post 54 IP   flag post
How about Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler.
Our predecessors were stuck with their unreliable crap for 50 years and forced to eat their crap.

Then the Asian companies rolled in with reliability and forced them to fix their sh#t and uncaring ways.

We need that in this industry to stop the incompetence from these two companies. Competition does that. Else they'll just keep doing what they do. Well keep complaining and nothing changes. It's unacceptable from both. Fix the systemic problems companies. Fix em
Post 55 IP   flag post
601333 78 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?