Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
What am I missing here? Why is the such a difference in values for the same book other than being graded by different companies?

The top is CGC and the bottom is CBCS.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I do see that there are no sell dates for the CGC listings but, that's the only thing I see that's different.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Some of the drastic difference is going to be the passage of time. The CBCS 9.8 book sold in 2021, but the CGC 9.8 book is in green because a sale was recent. Also, there's still the CGC bias out there, and while it was slowly getting resolved, I think it's either stalled or backslid because of the rampant CS issues and slow TATs at CBCS.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
The registry has a lot to do with it, as does the snobbery of some of the hard core CGC supporters. The size of the companies and volume of submissions is most likely a factor as well given that "everybody knows bigger is better". Right?!? That's why they're bigger right?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
The CGC bias is 5 star nuttiness + lunacy + tunnel vision + a whole lot of OCD all rolled into one.

People are just being people and if you expect even 1/2 of them to be savvy, bright & informed, you're going to be disappointed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Josh7945 private msg quote post Address this user
ByrdiByrd hit a bullseye. There’s already a bias towards CGC and more people are using CGC to submit comics because of the turn around times.
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
1. Brand recognition.

2. The cgc registry.

3. People are stupid.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
I need to start low balling Cbcs sellers 🤣
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Because there are a lot of ------- choose your word---that are sucked into this crap..CGC has also been around much longer but 1 day it will equalize..
Post 9 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
This auction’s winner paid about half GC’s FMV estimate (for the two books).

Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
If your a buyer you should be happy. Your buying the book not the slab. If you own a nice book it's the same book CBCS CGC or raw. If your keeping it and not selling it's a win.
Post 11 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
CGC always has and always will be worth more. There is a long history of old men who send books in for grading and all they know is CGC. They grade then sell, grade then sell. They have no interest in other companies and may not even know of other companies. They certainly don't hang around online reading about all the problems.

Add to that, those who want all their slabs to match. They won't buy anything else.

So it's mostly a case of CGC being around a lot longer and are well established.

But maybe it's also a case of finding a better source for those prices.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The CGC bias is 5 star nuttiness lunacy tunnel vision a whole lot of OCD all rolled into one.

This. Right. Here.
It's not like CBCS doesn't have problems (CS... *ugh*), but I still think the product is superior and grading tends to be more consistent. That and signature verification will give CBCS a HUGE leg up everytime, IMHO.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz58
Because there are a lot of ------- choose your word---that are sucked into this crap..CGC has also been around much longer but 1 day it will equalize..

If CGC continues to assume that their $h*t doesn't stink, things will equalise, like @tonyz58 says. I have returns for CBCS and I'm having trouble getting a response from CS, but this still doesn't even touch the unholy debacle that was my growing stack of 27 returns for CGC that they threatened to refuse to accept because the 2-week grace period was over... due to the lack of response from their own CS.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Yea but the labels
Yea but the cases

🙄🙄🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦🤦😂😂
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
At one point CBCS had a slim chance of possibly capturing a bit more market share, but squandered most of those chances with poor marketing choices and their now infamous inability to implement even the slightest sign of Customer Service or Quality control which is the heart and soul of any company, even more so for a start up company hoping to gain Market share from a well established industry giant.

I fear those days are long past..... and let's be honest here... CBCS carved out a little niche of the market with their Auto verification and have been content with that.

They were never a serious threat to CGC's Market dominance. They simply just never had the financial or Marketing power to gain any serious Market share from CGC, and they certainly never had the personnel in place to compete with top notch IT and Marketing teams, much less a functioning customer department.

Beckett should have taken over and used their resources to mount a real challenge. A slab with the well established Beckett name on it would have been the route to go IMHO.

Now that Borrock left, Im not sure this company is even around in five years.... Its a shame they werent able to assembly the personnel needed to be able to move beyond a second tier grading company.

Always loved the slabs and even the labels
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Beckett should have taken over

I've heard, from random people on the internet, that Beckett's customer service has always been atrocious and as the parent company of CBCS, is likely the reason why CBCS hasn't been able to independently make the decision to allocate more resources towards customer service.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
That book strangely shot up in GPA since 2021, while most ASM McFarlane's dipped in half from the pandemic boom prices.

I remember having to lower my eBay BIN a couple times to move a CGC 9.8 of that book, WITH the custom Spidey label, for around $20 or $30 more than I paid for the slab....and that was back in early 2021, during the boom.

Bought it and a like 2 or 3 other slabs from a seller who ran 1 day auctions, so I got lucky and got them all below GPA.

I think I got between $150 or so for that slab.....WTF.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Coldbobt private msg quote post Address this user
Considering the insane quality control issues at CGC and also the completely unpredictable grades you're going to get, I don't know why CGC retains such a strong hold on the market. I've long felt that CBCS is probably a harsher grading system but more accurate/consistent...
Post 19 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldbobt
I don't know why CGC retains such a strong hold on the market.

There is an easy answer why CGC retains their top spot. 95% of submitters care only about 3 things:
resale value
turnaround times
cost

CGC is winning all 3 right now. CBCS had a chance last year to go for double digit market share and they doubled down on their current position instead.
Far superior slabs and tighter grading, the 2 areas CBCS currently leads, aren't even on the radar as considerations for most submitters.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS is cheaper unless something changed?
Post 21 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS hasn't done themselves any favors, brand-wise, over the past 3 years. Neither has CGC, but they didn't have to.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
CBCS hasn't done themselves any favors, brand-wise, over the past 3 years

100%
Post 23 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777

They are no longer cheaper.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
There is an easy answer why CGC retains their top spot. 95% of submitters care only about 3 things:
resale value
turnaround times
cost

CGC is winning all 3 right now.

I wouldn't characterize the turnaround times as "winning" but I do agree with your point. I still have sumissions to CGC that they received 1-17-22. They are just now "Scheduled for Grading" after being there for a year. I think the cost now includes rent for their occupied space
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
One area where I think CBCS was smart; they probably realized they couldn't compete with CGC's 20 day TAT on modern books, so they focused on getting Vintage TATs down. CBCS is now 8 weeks for Vintage while CGC is about 1 year.
Post 26 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777

They cost more, take longer, and sell for less.

Winning!

Post 27 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
What am I missing here? Why is the such a difference in values for the same book other than being graded by different companies?

The top is CGC and the bottom is CBCS.

@OGJackster - Best comp is the 9.2 to which both have 2022 sales. And interestingly, the CBCS has the higher sold price.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldbobt
I don't know why CGC retains such a strong hold on the market.

resale value
turnaround times
cost

Don't forget about the gift grades.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

I've heard, from random people on the internet, that Beckett's customer service has always been atrocious and as the parent company of CBCS, is likely the reason why CBCS hasn't been able to independently make the decision to allocate more resources towards customer service.

This has to be the case. As I've mentioned before, it makes no sense at all that the staff of a company can continuously take part in the various cover contest threads while completely ignoring the hundreds of absent CS threads.... unless their hands are tied.

Doubt anyone from Beckett reads this forum but it would be nice if they did.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600902 78 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?