Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleComics Silver AgeFor Sale

Pedigree - Keep, Sell, Trade19012

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Last year, I picked up a couple of comics that were upgrades to issues in my collection. I had sent them into CBCS for Press as I could tell there were some non-color breaking creases/wrinkles and indents that could be press. Results of the @stevericketts team were great, however, the grades received could be,,, well,,, under-graded.

Regardless, these two comics were/are D.N.A Collection pedigrees. And, I don't have any affinity for pedigree comics. Am I off in thinking of trading or selling these in route to same or higher graded samples of the same issues?

What say the Forum?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
follow your own drummer, if they mean something to you keep them, if not liquiate. Always do what your inner you feels is best for your own purposes, you are the one that has to live with those decisions
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Sell them for a premium and get higher grade copies with the money.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator I wouldn't trade or sell them just to get the same books back in the same grade. I don't think the D.N.A. collection is recognized as a Pedigree but rather a Collection. I don't think a Collection book commands the same premium as a Pedigree. It may not command a premium at all.

If the 9.0 grades do not satisfy you then definitely sell them and use the funds to finance the same but higher graded books.

They are great books though!
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Here's some very little additional information.

clickable text
Post 5 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
You are giving up @ShallaBal? I'll be first in line...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I've also noticed that a lot of CBCS books are coming back undergraded.
Post 7 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator Keep them!

And personally, I think the grades are pretty much spot on.

Leave them alone.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @Pre_Coder. I see very little, if anything, that get these comic a higher grade. If I had them, I would keep them. 👍👍
Post 10 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder @Galen130 - not about the grade.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@Pre_Coder @Galen130 - not about the grade.

Apologies. Got the impression that grade mattered. I’d still keep them if they were mine. I enjoy ‘anomalies’ like that. 🙂👍
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Scifinator I too do not have an affinity for Pedigree or Collection books. I actually have a few DNA Collection books in my New Gods run. Not because of the DNA Collection designation but simply because the price was right for what I was looking for. Trading or selling might be your best bet at upgrading....that's what I would do.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Great grades on those books, I can see what could be issues on those comics. Very nice slabs, sell if the grades aren't appealing, your own standards do madder. Do you have a source to get a higher graded book at the price you want to pay? Pedigree or not, have to agree with some of the other forum affiliates. Maybe resend, a different set of grading eyes might see it differently. As I re-read the post, there's a degree of disappointment, understandable. As I read through many of the different posts on the forum, there was a comment about sending in books, think lower, so as not to be bummed out, grading can be subjective. Apologies for not having the exact quote or link, but I thought that advise was sound as to not be disgruntled about the grade received. Ever upward!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
I had sent them into CBCS for Press as I could tell there were some non-color breaking creases/wrinkles and indents that could be press. Results of the @stevericketts team were great, however, the grades received could be,,, well,,, under-graded.

Regardless, these two comics were/are D.N.A Collection pedigrees. And, I don't have any affinity for pedigree comics. Am I off in thinking of trading or selling these in route to same or higher graded samples of the same issues?

What say the Forum?

"however, the grades received could be,,, well,,, under-graded." is a line that should have been saved for another thread. I should have ended that sentence with 'Results of the @stevericketts team were great'

I can see the 12 at 9.0. The 11 though... Anyway both look much better than when I sent in. And, like @GAC "Not because of the DNA Collection designation but simply because the price was right for what I was looking for" I too picked up with bids that allowed for me to get the already higher 9.0 upgrades to what was in my collection.

Probably in a month or so, I will have a major rant on grading strictness/consistency with before (Old CGC label), after (CBCS), and re-after (new cgc). But then again, maybe I won't. And if it is not a rant, it will nonetheless be a cautionary tale. I will either be rocking to Joe Satriani's Surfing with the Alien or there will be a Big Bad Moon looking down on me. We will see.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Love Big Bad Moon!

Post 16 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
If the “collection” designation hinders your enjoyment of these books then get rid of them; if not might as well keep ‘em.

Maybe someone out there has the same in 9.0/9.2/9.4s and would love to trade because they have to have the DNAs🤔
Post 17 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator - I looked at many books from the D.N.A. Collection. The majority of the ones that interested me had sun shadows and/or oxidation issues that were noticeable on their back covers. Not all of the books from this collection that I saw had this issue/defect (many looked fine), but too many of the ones I might have purchased or bid on did.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I decided to put them up an see if maybe I can garner a premium or find higher CBCS grades at a discount. If not, will happily list these with the rest of my 1st 38 Silver Surfer appearances, thru SS18, in the forthcoming CBCS Registry. #SOON #DefineSOON.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
My opinion I'd sell. Or trade put proceeds to a number 4 1 or 3 in that order. My two cents
Post 20 IP   flag post
601379 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?