Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Are These Actually Double Covers or a Label Error?19006

Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
My first and second double cover purchases were raw books

Including the ones I got off the racks myself (my triple cover Futurians and my double cover Star Wars #103 and a double cover Adventures into the Unknown #154 that I found in a back issue box, and from the price it had clearly been there, ignored, for quite a while) I got all my double covers raw. Sellers knew they were double covers, but I always went for books that didn't cost too much, so I don't think I ever spent more than $12 ~ $15 for any of them. All the ones I have graded I sent in.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector trademarkcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd

They should respond, even if it's just to say they have no photos of the book unslabbed. I've had similar questions come up for a slabbed book with a signature inside. Folks want to see a photo of the signature and I don't think that's unreasonable. The problem is that I've sent in a couple books that had signatures on the splash page and I didn't realise it at the time. That's when I have to come clean with whoever asked the question and 'fess up that I don't have a photo because I didn't do a proper inspection before I sent the book in to be graded. Oops.

As a seller who has been on ebay since the 1900s, I know it's in my best interest to reply to any potential bidders(especially those with long established reps) since one extra bidder could add up to the two+ bidders I need to drive the price up. His silence is deafening.
Post 27 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademarkcomics
Quote:

They should respond, even if it's just to say they have no photos of the book unslabbed. I've had similar questions come up for a slabbed book with a signature inside. Folks want to see a photo of the signature and I don't think that's unreasonable. The problem is that I've sent in a couple books that had signatures on the splash page and I didn't realise it at the time. That's when I have to come clean with whoever asked the question and 'fess up that I don't have a photo because I didn't do a proper inspection before I sent the book in to be graded. Oops.

As a seller who has been on ebay since the 1900s, I know it's in my best interest to reply to any potential bidders(especially those with long established reps) since one extra bidder could add up to the two+ bidders I need to drive the price up. His silence is deafening.

Maybe I missed it but how long since you messaged? I think giving 24 hrs is fine. After that, agree… a bit fishy. But then time to move on… not enough to suggest anything beyond ignorance or sloth.
Post 28 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I agree. Some folks don't live on the phone or computer and may not see a message. To penalize the person because of your impatience seems wrong.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
His silence is deafening.

That is never a good sign. I understand delays due to time differences, but to just ignore questions from potential buyers? Either something is shady or the guy has no idea how to make online selling/auctioning work.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
I think giving 24 hrs is fine.

Yup. Give the seller time to respond because there could be a time difference or an obligation that keeps the seller from attending to their listings promptly, but after 24 hours, you should have heard something.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@KatKomics
Jealous of your awesome double cover Plastic Man.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@KatKomics
Jealous of your awesome double cover Plastic Man.

wasn't even the book I was after in the lot! It was a reader copy of My Greatest Adventure #81(2nd Doom Patrol) - the Plastic Man was just a bonus -and the double cover..well doubly so!!
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:

Maybe I missed it but how long since you messaged? I think giving 24 hrs is fine. After that, agree… a bit fishy. But then time to move on… not enough to suggest anything beyond ignorance or sloth.

Been nearly 24 hours now. I realize some sellers don't respond within 24 hours(they technically have 48), but I would never wait that long to get back. I have my phone on me at all times. This is a world where not many need be on their computer to access the internet. If someone doesn't check email and/or facebook every few minutes to an hour they're probably a Baby Boomer. Either I respond within a few minutes to at most a couple hours. Seems reasonable in this day and age.

But, I agree about moving on even if it's more than just ignorance or sloth. My issue isn't with the seller as much as it is with CBCS.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Been nearly 24 hours now. I realize some sellers don't respond within 24 hours(they technically have 48), but I would never wait that long to get back. I have my phone on me at all times. This is a world where not many need be on their computer to access the internet. If someone doesn't check email and/or facebook every few minutes to an hour they're probably a Baby Boomer. Either I respond within a few minutes to at most a couple hours. Seems reasonable in this day and age.

But, I agree about moving on even if it's more than just ignorance or sloth. My issue isn't with the seller as much as it is with CBCS.

Your expectations are unreasonable.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
and the double cover..well doubly so!!

I saw what you did there!
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I see what you're saying and I agree with a lot of it, but there's also the fact that there are people who hate the electronic leash. I'm one of them, and I have been known to turn my phone off during things like family events or friendly get-togethers. You do NOT interrupt Game Night (table-top RPGs) to furtle about on your phone. It's not that unusual for me to not reply for 10 ~ 12 hours.

As for the CBCS labels, I would want to know what the labeling protocol for double covers was at the time those books were graded. Perhaps a while back it was simply noted on the label that the book has a double cover, and the grades for individual covers came later. Both those books are in slabs that are older than any of my graded double/triple cover books, so who knows? It may have been different back then.

In any case, the seller should be more than willing to answer any questions about their listings, and if they don't, then they can expect to not make as many sales as they potentially could.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I have high standards, not unreasonable expectations. There is a difference. If the seller gets back to me within 48 hours(even longer if they apologize), all will be forgiven and I'm not going to harangue them about how long it took to get back to me. But in my experience, if a seller doesn't get back to me within hours, more often than not they're not going get back to me at all. Just the way it is I'm afraid. If expecting a seller to get back to me is being unreasonable, I guess I'm unreasonable. But my high standards are not unreasonable, they are the way I choose to do business.
Post 38 IP   flag post
It's not unreasonable to expect a seller to get back to you when you have a question about an item listed for sale. What's unreasonable is if the seller expects to sell things when they shine on their potential buyers. It's amazing what sellers will blame for poor sales when the reality is that they give rubbish customer service.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@trademarkcomics hey....if you sell on eBay put a link up in the forum to your store.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@trademarkcomics hey....if you sell on eBay put a link up in the forum to your store.

Thank you for your interest!

https://www.ebay.com/str/trademarkcomics

We mostly deal with rarities like double covers, Jeweler insert issues, signed books and high grade slabbed books. We just had our slabbed book auction that we do every few months or so. Nothing big like MCS but we(we being my wife and I) mostly do it just for the fun and to provide a higher level of customer service.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
double covers, Jeweler insert issues

I'll be having a look, thank you very much...
Post 42 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t think there is a way to tell if a slabbed book is actually a double cover without cracking it and 9.8s never have graders notes because there is nothing to note other than the book is pristine.
Post 43 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
That begs the question: If sellers sell these at a premium and the buyers send them to CGC and they come back as regular single covered books, is CBCS culpable?

No.

Label errors may be covered for the original submitter, but once a book is cracked there is no proof it's the same book.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
That begs the question: If sellers sell these at a premium and the buyers send them to CGC and they come back as regular single covered books, is CBCS culpable?

No.

Label errors may be covered for the original submitter, but once a book is cracked there is no proof it's the same book.

High res pictures before cracking it could solve that issue. Take any two copies of a specific issue and you will probably see at least slight differences in how it came off the production line. Staple position, cover position when trimmed and even slight difference in wear(even on a 9.8) can help identify and separate one copy from another.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No.

High res pictures before cracking it could solve that issue. Take any two copies of a specific issue and you will probably see at least slight differences in how it came off the production line. Staple position, cover position when trimmed and even slight difference in wear(even on a 9.8) can help identify and separate one copy from another.

It only costs $12 (CBCS)/$20 (CGC) for a re-holder. IMHO, the best option would be to take the book to a convention, go to the appropriate grader's booth, tell them the situation, get the book cracked and inspected, then get a re-holder. If you can't do that yourself (no conventions near you), then use a facilitator.
Post 46 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No.

There's no money to be made in comparing photos.

Regardless, once it's cracked they aren't going to put it in a new slab with cover grades without grading it. Nor should they.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:

Regardless, once it's cracked they aren't going to put it in a new slab with cover grades without grading it. Nor should they.

I think we're getting a bit off track.

My original question is whether CBCS should be held responsible if the supposed double cover is sent to CGC and is regraded as a single covered copy regardless of what grade it is regraded to(if the CBCS label is in error about it being a double cover). The photo of the CBCS slab before sending it to CGC would be to hold CBCS responsible if it comes back as a single covered copy.

My second question is whether this a loophole in the submission process that just any submitter could take advantage of: Just classifying a submission as a double cover in the pedigree dropdown is resulting in labels stating books are double covers when they're not. Evidence of this is in the lack of specific grades for each cover on either the labels or in the grading notes.
Post 48 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
In a nutshell, none of the grading companies can be held liable or responsible for mistakes or omissions made during grading. About the only thing they hold liability for is damage while in their possession, if you can prove it.

I remember one such book where the cgc missed the restoration the first time it was graded. The book was sent in as a resub and it came back as restored. The same book was then subsequently sent back to the cgc and came back with a universal blue label, again. The same book was submitted at least three or four and the label flipped from restored to universal on nearly every resubmission. Who holds liability on that one? Their own graders couldn't decide if it was restored or not.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I think we're getting a bit off track.

My original question is whether CBCS should be held responsible if the supposed double cover is sent to CGC and is regraded as a single covered copy regardless of what grade it is regraded to(if the CBCS label is in error about it being a double cover).

No, they should not. For 2 reasons:
1) Once a book is cracked out of it's case there is no proof whatsoever that it is the same book that was originally in the case. Label errors happen, pretty often it seems. Mostly (by far) at CGC from what I've seen. But while the grading company is responsible for the error, there is nothing they should do beyond fix the label... and only if the book is still slabbed. If CGC cracks it and says there is no double cover, then you take it up with the person you bought the book from. Whomever had it graded should have handled this... assuming they knew the label was wrong. If they didn't, then nothing can be done.

2) If CGC grades it as a single cover, then what's to say they aren't wrong? It definitely happens.

What you're suggesting is taking a slabbed book you've never opened the cover of... and sending it to someone else to grade and have it returned STILL never having opened the cover. So you won't know who is right.

Quote:
The photo of the CBCS slab before sending it to CGC would be to hold CBCS responsible if it comes back as a single covered copy.

Your photo of a book in a slab does not mean it's the same book CGC returns to you. Doesn't matter that you know it is... CBCS won't know it is. This isn't on them. And why would they be responsible for something they don't know is true?

If you're wanting the CGC label then crack it yourself, check the book, and send it in.
Otherwise, contact CBCS customer service (lol) and see what they will do.

Quote:
My second question is whether this a loophole in the submission process that just any submitter could take advantage of: Just classifying a submission as a double cover in the pedigree dropdown is resulting in labels stating books are double covers when they're not. Evidence of this is in the lack of specific grades for each cover on either the labels or in the grading notes.

No.
Just because you make a claim on the submission form doesn't mean it holds true. If the grading companies do their job correctly, they will know what the book is despite what your submission form says. When I send variants, I don't worry about adding the artist's name, the retailer's name if it's their exclusive. I just type "variant". It's not my job to tell them what to put on their label... they (the company, not necessarily the grader) should know. That said, if it has a double cover, I would type that.

If your scenario were realistic, every book I submit would be an Action Comics #1.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
If your scenario were realistic, every book I submit would be an Action Comics #1.

LOL!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
In a nutshell, none of the grading companies can be held liable or responsible for mistakes or omissions made during grading. About the only thing they hold liability for is damage while in their possession, if you can prove it.

This is incorrect. The most important service they provide is authentication. If the book is a forgery there is liability. At least for CGC.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I would think they'd have a waiver and with grading companies it's their opinion.

If you don't agree with their opinion you crack it out of their case.

As @DrWatson mentioned.

Damages and loss in their care is where the big liabilities are so they probably have insurance.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If a counterfeit Action Comics #1 (or any other high value book) was slabbed as authentic and then sold as authentic and then later discovered as a forgery....I'd bet good money that whose ever label was on that slab would be talking to lawyers.
Post 54 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 55 IP   flag post
616314 118 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?