Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Are These Actually Double Covers or a Label Error?19006

Collector trademarkcomics private msg quote post Address this user
I've recently found two books advertised and labeled by CBCS as "double covers" with no grades for each cover noted on the label or in the grading notes. I know from back when I submitted to CBCS there is a dropdown menu for "Pedigree" where one can note the book as a "double cover". Could these two be label errors and not actual double covers? Either way, how lazy is CBCS getting to either not note the grades of each cover or not check to make sure the book is not getting mislabeled?

Pictures of both books. The Hulk is on MCS, and the Thor is on eBay.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BigLouComicGuru private msg quote post Address this user
Can we see the back cover?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I have never seen a book with a double cover that didn't have grades for both covers listed.

That being said, I've seen people list books as having a 'double cover' when the book just has a gatefold cover, but I know neither one of the books you're showing has a gatefold cover. This has to be a labeling error.

PS: If I owned that Thor and knew it had a real double cover, I'd send that back to get the label corrected immediately!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Even if both covers received a 9.8, that should be stated on the label.

The only double cover that I have submitted for grading.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouComicGuru

That's a good question. According to the label numbers, both those books were slabbed before any of mine. Is it possible that double covers previously had notes on the back of the label?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouComicGuru

No notes on the back sides of the labels either.
Hulk 328:

Thor 337:

Post 6 IP   flag post
Has to be a labeling error. I've checked the rest of the double covers I have that are slabbed (I'm fond of error books), and they all have grades listed for both covers.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Has to be a labeling error. I've checked the rest of the double covers I have that are slabbed (I'm fond of error books), and they all have grades listed for both covers.

That begs the question: If sellers sell these at a premium and the buyers send them to CGC and they come back as regular single covered books, is CBCS culpable?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@trademarkcomics
I don't know all the legalities, but I do know that some of the responsibility would fall on whoever sent the books in to be graded. That person knew they didn't send in double covers (assuming they bothered to check) but decided to cash in anyway and sold them fraudulently. Naturally, CBCS would have to answer for the error, too.

In this case, though, I think it much more likely the error is that the conditions of both covers are not listed, rather than the books having single covers with a double cover label.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I just checked the grader’s notes for the Hulk #328. It lists “double cover” under Pedigree. Nothing about grades for each cover. I thought if it was anywhere, it would be there.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@trademarkcomics

Cgc is not going to read the cbcs label. As far as they are concerned the book is coming in raw. Unless the crossover promo is still in effect and that only affects pricing not grading
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I just checked the grader’s notes for the Hulk #328. It lists “double cover” under Pedigree. Nothing about grades for each cover. I thought if it was anywhere, it would be there.

I was also wondering if that might be in the grader's notes. I guess not! I'd be re-submitting those books to CBCS and requesting a re-holder and new (accurate) labels.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

I was also wondering if that might be in the grader's notes. I guess not! I'd be re-submitting those books to CBCS and requesting a re-holder and new (accurate) labels.

Not if your intent was to deceive and it wasn't actually a double cover! That immediately makes me surmise these are not actual double covers since that's what anyone who knew it was the real thing would do. Since that's the whole point of getting something graded: To assure any potential interested parties that this is indeed authentic and in the stated condition.

Is this a loophole? Did someone stumble on this by accident and is now taking advantage of it? If all you would have to do is submit and put double cover in the pedigree dropdown, then wouldn't every scoundrel* do it?

*There are a lot of scoundrels out there. More than an honest person would think, that's for sure.
Post 13 IP   flag post
[quote]

*There are a lot of scoundrels out there. More than an honest person would think, that's for sure.

Speaking of which, there's this 0 feedback guy who scoured the dollar bins for duplicates then removed the covers and placed them on one copy and is now auctioning them off as multiple covered copies. Some are so obvious it's laughable(see Turok #1). Yet, they are getting lots of bids with 6+ days to go. "There's sucker born every minute". -PT Barnum

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=394423294766&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562&_ssn=uniquecomics

When double covers are trimmed they are trimmed at the same time. You would not get a feathered effect(not to mention the differences in waviness) like seen in this pic:

This spine is thrashed:

Not even a blemish on the inner spine(and the cover doesn't line up at the bottom):

BEWARE of the scoundrels! These will be coming to your neighborhood soon, CBCS!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Another possibility is that the persons who own these books are unaware that the covers are assigned individual grades and all those grades are listed on the label. Double covers are quite rare, and when I submitted my first one (it was that Futurians #1, so technically, a triple cover) I didn't know it would come back with multiple cover grades. It's entirely possible the book owner(s) have no idea the labels aren't complete.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademarkcomics
Speaking of which, there's this 0 feedback guy who scoured the dollar bins for duplicates then removed the covers and placed them on one copy and is now auctioning them off as multiple covered copies.

That rubbish needs to get shut down, because there are a non-trivial number of people who will fall for that. All my doubles are legit, and you need to check staples and alignment to make sure. I would never buy a 'double cover' with the outer cover detached, or super loose with wonky staples. 0 Feedback Guy needs to get a freakin' job.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Another possibility is that the persons who own these books are unaware that the covers are assigned individual grades and all those grades are listed on the label. Double covers are quite rare, and when I submitted my first one (it was that Futurians #1, so technically, a triple cover) I didn't know it would come back with multiple cover grades. It's entirely possible the book owner(s) have no idea the labels aren't complete.

True. But the fact that I messaged the Thor 337 seller(nicely I might add, not in an accusatory fashion)that the label is incomplete and if they had a pic of the inner cover and they haven't responded could be a sign of nefarious intent.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

True. But the fact that I messaged the Thor 337 seller(nicely I might add, not in an accusatory fashion)that the label is incomplete and if they had a pic of the inner cover and they haven't responded could be a sign of nefarious intent.

They should respond, even if it's just to say they have no photos of the book unslabbed. I've had similar questions come up for a slabbed book with a signature inside. Folks want to see a photo of the signature and I don't think that's unreasonable. The problem is that I've sent in a couple books that had signatures on the splash page and I didn't realise it at the time. That's when I have to come clean with whoever asked the question and 'fess up that I don't have a photo because I didn't do a proper inspection before I sent the book in to be graded. Oops.
Post 18 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Been dealing with a bit of an identity crisis myself recently. Then suddenly out of the blue came the realization everything could be transformed by simply adding one letter to reality. Voila, new suit same smile!

Hint: r
Post 19 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 20 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
My first and second double cover purchases were raw books - one was in a lot of 5 or 10 books - both times the seller (different seller) didn't realize there were double covers

Even got one graded (the other is just a marvel handbook issue - even double covers can't help the value on that!)

Post 21 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
What's in a name? That which we call a clown, by any other name would smell as pungent.
Post 22 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
What's in a name? That which we call a clown, by any other word would smell as pungent.

Somebody may need a hug!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmistoso
Quote:
What's in a name? That which we call a clown, by any other word would smell as pungent.

Somebody may need a hug!

Didn’t realize today’s work call doodle would come in handy so soon.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmistoso
Quote:

Somebody may need a hug!

Didn’t realize today’s work call doodle would come in handy so soon.

Gorgeous!!!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
My first and second double cover purchases were raw books

Including the ones I got off the racks myself (my triple cover Futurians and my double cover Star Wars #103 and a double cover Adventures into the Unknown #154 that I found in a back issue box, and from the price it had clearly been there, ignored, for quite a while) I got all my double covers raw. Sellers knew they were double covers, but I always went for books that didn't cost too much, so I don't think I ever spent more than $12 ~ $15 for any of them. All the ones I have graded I sent in.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:

They should respond, even if it's just to say they have no photos of the book unslabbed. I've had similar questions come up for a slabbed book with a signature inside. Folks want to see a photo of the signature and I don't think that's unreasonable. The problem is that I've sent in a couple books that had signatures on the splash page and I didn't realise it at the time. That's when I have to come clean with whoever asked the question and 'fess up that I don't have a photo because I didn't do a proper inspection before I sent the book in to be graded. Oops.

As a seller who has been on ebay since the 1900s, I know it's in my best interest to reply to any potential bidders(especially those with long established reps) since one extra bidder could add up to the two+ bidders I need to drive the price up. His silence is deafening.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

As a seller who has been on ebay since the 1900s, I know it's in my best interest to reply to any potential bidders(especially those with long established reps) since one extra bidder could add up to the two+ bidders I need to drive the price up. His silence is deafening.

Maybe I missed it but how long since you messaged? I think giving 24 hrs is fine. After that, agree… a bit fishy. But then time to move on… not enough to suggest anything beyond ignorance or sloth.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I agree. Some folks don't live on the phone or computer and may not see a message. To penalize the person because of your impatience seems wrong.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
His silence is deafening.

That is never a good sign. I understand delays due to time differences, but to just ignore questions from potential buyers? Either something is shady or the guy has no idea how to make online selling/auctioning work.
Post 30 IP   flag post
616314 118 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?