Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Only bought a few FICTION HOUSE Comic Books as a kid...the Barber
Shop downstairs in our apartment building always had the latest
issues of WINGS, JUNGLE, PLANET to read while you waited for a
haircut.

OO

mm
A recent sale of a copy of this one made a BIG splash recently. Nice Marty!

HOW BIG A SPLASH?

Marty
CGC 9.0, Over 4K. It's the first appearance of Fire Hair. Worth slabbing Marty.
Post 2351 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
@the420bandito Lord, you and I have probably run each other up on books in past auctions. Ace, along with MLJ and Looney Tunes collectibles(comics, Premiums, toys, etc) are my top 3 primary focus', but i dabble in Baker, Cole, Prize, Harvey, Centaur, tough Romance and more.

Prices have cooled a bit, so i have been able to pick up more again recently. I have decided i don't need to complete all the hero runs, but i'm about 4 to 5 MUST HAVE ones away from being 'satisfied' with my set.
Post 2352 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I had to outbid Ramon Schenk to get a copy of Cartoon Spice #5. I consider him to be one of the Charlton Comic experts online. It's a little late to be considered Golden Age, but I'll squeeze in a scan. It's from 1958. It hadn't been listed anywhere before I bought it.

Post 2353 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Just arrived today, a sweet addition to my Cap collection (raw, nice PQ, no apparent restoration or color touch). After the grade checks out, I envision a CBCS holder is in it's future...

Post 2354 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
haircut.

OO

mm

HOW BIG A SPLASH?

Marty

Thanks for the info...with a detached cover and a piece missing from the bottom right corner of the cover I doubt if it would
grade very well.

Marty
Post 2355 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
haircut.

OO

mm

HOW BIG A SPLASH?

Marty

Thanks for the info...with a detached cover and a piece missing from the bottom right corner of the cover I doubt if it would
grade very well.

Marty
Still, it's a sleeper now awoken, even low grade copies could fetch some type of premium IMHO
Post 2356 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
haircut.

OO

mm

HOW BIG A SPLASH?

Marty

grade very well.

Marty
Still, it's a sleeper now awoken, even low grade copies could fetch some type of premium IMHO

This is one I might consider selling...but I doubt if anyone wants
anything from my collection.

Marty
Post 2357 IP   flag post
Making another stop on the HIT Comics tour is issue #23, one of the last two covers featuring Stormy. This one is curious because of the fine line detail work and general layout of the art. It has a unique pen/ink style that looks more like Eisner than Crandall to whom the cover is attributed. Perhaps it was a collaborative composition penciled by Eisner and inked by Crandall. Opinions welcome in probing for proper attribution to this unsigned work in lieu of definitive credit acknowledgement...

Post 2358 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@the420bandito Lord, you and I have probably run each other up on books in past auctions. Ace, along with MLJ and Looney Tunes collectibles(comics, Premiums, toys, etc) are my top 3 primary focus', but i dabble in Baker, Cole, Prize, Harvey, Centaur, tough Romance and more.

Prices have cooled a bit, so i have been able to pick up more again recently. I have decided i don't need to complete all the hero runs, but i'm about 4 to 5 MUST HAVE ones away from being 'satisfied' with my set.

I plan on finishing my Four Favorites run and calling it a day. I have 75% of the books graded/ungraded but the missing books are impossible. I will most likely leverage my Super-Mystery books to finish it up.

My other interests are skyrocketing - PCH, lady in red, damsel in distress. Things are so crazy I barely bid anymore.

Post 2359 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
Quote:

I plan on finishing my Four Favorites run and calling it a day. I have 75% of the books graded/ungraded but the missing books are impossible. I will most likely leverage my Super-Mystery books to finish it up.

My other interests are skyrocketing - PCH, lady in red, damsel in distress. Things are so crazy I barely bid anymore.

That is a LOVELY book! I have a 5.5.
I'm on the other side: I primarily have more issues of the Super-Mystery run than i do the Four Favorites run. I wanted to complete the SMC run but v3#4 and v6#3 are looking like the two most likely i'll have to live without. Still a few more to go in addition but they seem more attainable.

Of FF, i'd really like a #6 and #10 to call it a day on that run, but both NEVER seem to surface
Post 2360 IP   flag post
Cover by AL BRYANT.

OO

Cover by KLAUS NORDLING.

OO

mm
Post 2361 IP   flag post
@martymann Send In The Clowns
Post 2362 IP   flag post

Post 2363 IP   flag post

Post 2364 IP   flag post
With all the scary clowns in this circus the only thing missin' is a killer midget clown. Now where am I gonna find a bozo like that, you're thinking? Well, let me see. Ah! Leave it to good ol' Cap to have the solution well in hand...

All ya hadda do was axe!
Post 2365 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
With all the scary clowns in this circus the only thing missin' is a killer midget clown. Now where am I gonna find a bozo like that, you're thinking? Well, let me see. Ah! Leave it to good ol' Cap to have the solution well in hand...

All ya hadda do was axe!
Simon and those killer midgets.....
Post 2366 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is terrible for my ego, and my wallet. Got this for a few bucks, from 1948.

Post 2367 IP   flag post
Very cool cover JustABitEvil!

A book like the one below probably wouldn't do your wallet much good either ...it consumed mine... (CGC, 9.2 OW/W and highest grade), but as damsels in distress go, this Syd Shores cover with Captain America swinging into action to derail The Parrot from '47 is on the right track as well...

Note: Bucky isn't only tied up, he's playing second fiddle to the brunette in the front cage!
Post 2368 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Very cool cover JustABitEvil!

A book like the one below probably wouldn't do your wallet much good either ...it consumed mine... (CGC, 9.2 OW/W and highest grade), but as damsels in distress go, this Syd Shores cover with Captain America swinging into action to derail The Parrot from '47 is on the right track as well...

Note: Bucky isn't only tied up, he's playing second fiddle to the brunette in the front cage!

Thats an awesome book. I do love those distressed damsels of the 30s and 40s, was watching a Wings 91 last night, but NYCC awaits so I had to pass.
Post 2369 IP   flag post
Tiny swastikas on the green hoods.

OO

OO

mm
Post 2370 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
New to collection
Post 2371 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
This one to.
Post 2372 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
New to collection
WOW!!!
Post 2373 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
This one to.
..AND DOUBLE WOW!! Church copies
Post 2374 IP   flag post
Quote:
...AND DOUBLE WOW!! Church copies

Upon genuflection, a healthy reverence for CHURCH copies is totally understandable!

Including these, there are six Church books in my collection, but each is special and more is never enough.
Post 2375 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
This thread is terrible for my ego, and my wallet. Got this for a few bucks, from 1948.

Great cover. I just picked up this book with a very similar cover. I wish it was a few bucks.

Post 2376 IP   flag post
@the420bandito
Yours is in much better shape than mine, but hey, $10 for a Golden Age bondage cover is a steal unless it's literally been used as toilet paper, right? Most of the other books in this series that I've seen are under $20, maybe I'll do a run.
Post 2377 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
...but hey, $10 for a Golden Age bondage cover is a steal unless it's literally been used as toilet paper, right? Most of the other books in this series that I've seen are under $20, maybe I'll do a run.

Finally, a rationale for CGC's oily Newton Rings that makes sense!
Post 2378 IP   flag post
Here's a WWII vintage train-spotting cover, Alex Schomburg style...

Post 2379 IP   flag post
National Comics #15 is a book that's no longer in my collection, but I doubt anyone will rail against it since an effort was made to stay on track...

Post 2380 IP   flag post
611385 5660 30