Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Always loved this issue! Syd Shores created an absolutely spectacular cover for Captain America #60.

To start with, The Human Fly is a bizarre villain with suction-cups, goggled mask and tails and a distressed female kidnap victim under his arm. The elevated angle of the battle with Cap & Bucky from the free swinging water tower ladder is intense. Great stuff from a post-war Timely!

Does that say "A MARVEL MAGAZINE" in the upper right corner? How much does this predate the the actual name change to Marvel?

Great observation and question! I'm interested in this answer myself.

This particular issue probably hit the stands Nov '46 and the publisher name change to Marvel was in '61 just prior to the launch of FF#1
Post 2101 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
The indicia in CAPTAIN AMERICA #64 lists the publisher as
COMPLETE PHOTO STORY CORP.

Marty
Post 2102 IP   flag post
One of my all time favorite "One-Shots".

OO

mm
Post 2103 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Judy has good reason to be scared. This is what's behind the house...

I have this issue as well. The colors on this GA cover are vibrant considering the depiction is a dark, gloomy, eerie, night scene. The artist did a good job with the moon.
Post 2104 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

OO

mm
dude send me that book and I'll press it for ya
Post 2105 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Quote:

OO

mm
dude send me that book and I'll press it for ya

Thanks for the offer!

Marty
Post 2106 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The indicia in CAPTAIN AMERICA #64 lists the publisher as
COMPLETE PHOTO STORY CORP.

Marty

True, but unless I'm mistaken ...which is entirely possible... the indicia is required for compliance with postal regulations, not as a method of trademark or branding.

For several months the publisher ...assuming this was Martin Goodman's decision... tried establishing a Marvel Magazine or Marvel Group imprint on Timely comics. Captain America #61, 62 & 63 all sport a turned page emblem with the book's featured character in either the upper left or right-hand corner of the cover. This carries over to most if not all other lines of comics under Goodman.

Also, ...and I'm assuming this was entirely at Martin Goodman's request as well... the Marvel Comics imprint was employed briefly in the late 40's with a circle and wreath emblem before settling on the Atlas globe logo throughout most of the 50's.

And for a brief time in the early 60's ...before the establishment of the familiar rectangular emblem in the upper left-hand corner featuring SA characters above the Marvel Comics Group logo... there was a small square placed somewhere near the title with the letters "MC" in it. I'm assuming that meant Marvel Comics as well.

If there's more to this story or a better explanation, I'd appreciate those familiar with the details sharing.
Post 2107 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Even as late as 1968, the Marvel title "Groovy" was published under the Atlas name.

Post 2108 IP   flag post
BTW, here's Captain America # 61 (CGC, 8.0, OW) labeled as having a Syd Shores cover (although I'm not convinced that this is Shores' work)...

Post 2109 IP   flag post
Finally, here is Captain America #62 (CGC, 9.2, OW/W) with a slight variation (Marvel Group instead of A Marvel Magazine) on the prior Cap logos. This cover is also attributed to Syd Shores, bears the initials SLS and has stylistic similarities to other Shores covers from this period...

Post 2110 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Brightness issue = resolved.

Bummer about that corner bump. Sharp book otherwise.

Post 2111 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Always avoid people with green hair. Words to live by.

le
Post 2112 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
Always avoid people with green hair. Words to live by.

le
The Joker moonlighted on Western covers too?!?! Nice one!
Post 2113 IP   flag post
....Raise ya another Western Pardner
Post 2114 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
And I'll raise ya 6 six guns that is.
Post 2115 IP   flag post
Quote:
Stunner!
Post 2116 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Quote:
Stunner!

I love yellow covers, and that is a beauty.
Post 2117 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
And speaking of yellow covers, I finally broke down and added the first "Golden Age" book to my collection. I've always been a "Silver Age" collector, but decided I wanted to add a nice looking, affordable, war-time Batman book to the leger. This is the one that fit the bill just because it has such nice eye appeal and was the right price to take the best advantage of last week's 15% off ebay promotion.

Post 2118 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
And speaking of yellow covers, I finally broke down and added the first "Golden Age" book to my collection. I've always been a "Silver Age" collector, but decided I wanted to add a nice looking, affordable, war-time Batman book to the leger. This is the one that fit the bill just because it has such nice eye appeal and was the right price to take the best advantage of last week's 15% off ebay promotion.

Congrats! But like Lays Chips "You can't (have) just one"
Post 2119 IP   flag post
This is yellow
Post 2120 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
This is yellow

...and it's moving.
Post 2121 IP   flag post
Collector kash private msg quote post Address this user
Recent Yellow Acquisitions

Post 2122 IP   flag post
Collector kash private msg quote post Address this user
And some EC goodness

Post 2123 IP   flag post
Yellow

Post 2124 IP   flag post
More yellow

Post 2125 IP   flag post
Wait more yellow

Post 2126 IP   flag post
Early four color yellow

Post 2127 IP   flag post
Yellow duck

Post 2128 IP   flag post
S
Super tough yellow SOTI issue
Post 2129 IP   flag post
Yellow Judo Joe. Who the hell is this guy anyhow?

Post 2130 IP   flag post
614867 5672 30