Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Jack Cole definitely had a GIANT sized inspiration when it came to skulls and claws. Here are two of my favorite examples of Cole's sense of exaggerated proportionality and artistic flexibility...

Post 2051 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
@CatmanAmerica ...and some of COLES'S splash pages are as good
as the cover.

OO (POLICE COMICS #38)

mm
LOVE this Marty!
Post 2052 IP   flag post
@martymann Love seeing GA interiors as well, Marty (please post more). Also, many of your comics were bought by you personally off the racks, which is doubly envious!

Wish I could display interiors of comics in my collection, but most copies are high grade and/or pedigree books in holders. For instance, this sweet copy of Plastic Man #7 was originally Edgar Church's copy. No plans on cracking it out any time soon, but I'm confident the interiors are glorious (you can even get a hint of it through the cover!)...

I'm not sure how CBCS moderators feel about scanning pages from reprints readily available on-line from eBay vendors. Occasionally I acquire reprint copies of slabbed books in my collection for personal reading and as display copies to pass around during GA history lectures at conventions, but I wouldn't post anything here that might violate board rules.
Post 2053 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
My one and only Airboy. The series had some great covers.

Interiors by Carmine The Great!

Post 2054 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
My one and only Airboy. The series had some great covers.

Interiors by Carmine The Great!

cool book. I only own one Airboy myself. I think this is the first one after Air fighters. V2 #1 I think
Post 2055 IP   flag post

Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
One of my favorite books. Another series that had killer covers. I need to scan in the rest that I have. They are beauties.

Post 2056 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
@martymann Love seeing GA interiors as well, Marty (please post more). Also, many of your comics were bought by you personally off the racks, which is doubly envious!

Thank you for your kind words!...I'll be pleased to post some more
as I truly enjoy sharing scans of my collection with the collecting
community.

Marty
Post 2057 IP   flag post
..Good stuff as always everyone! Let's keep the Gold train running...
Post 2058 IP   flag post
I believe this splash and 12-page story from GREEN HORNET #39
were first used as cover and story for the very, very rare issue
number three of STUNTMAN COMICS.

OO

PS: Always on the lookout for a copy of STUNTMAN #3.

mm
Post 2059 IP   flag post

OO

mm
Post 2060 IP   flag post
High grade copy of PEP Comics #1 (CGC 8.5), January 1940, first appearance of Irv Novick's The Shield (1st patriotic super hero) and Jack Cole's The Comet. Irv's robot cover kicks off the red headed hero's run. He'll remain the star until replaced as a cover feature by his freckle-faced red-headed "nephew" Archie. The Shield would gain a boy sidekick, Dusty, with issue #11, eventually lose his super powers & full-shield costume design (Shield-Wizard#7) for a costume similar to Captain America's outfit and by issue #41 be relegated to second tier status after Archie's overwhelming success, but the Shield would continue fighting the good fight against Axis evil throughout the remainder of the war...

Post 2061 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica ...and here is that boy sidekick's 1st appearance. The Tec'38 of the Pep run.
Post 2062 IP   flag post
My favorite PLASTIC MAN cover in my collection.

OO ("N" copy)

mm
Post 2063 IP   flag post
Quote:
My favorite PLASTIC MAN cover in my collection.

OO ("N" copy)

mm

Second of the two Vital books! Interesting that Plas was given a feature book two-shot instead of the more customary one shot tryout. Something tells me this had more to do with paper quotas in WWII than popularity. Plastic Man wouldn't be granted his own book ...starting with issue #3... until after the war. I suspect "Busy" Arnold was frustrated that he couldn't publish PM on a more regular basis given the character's breakout popularity in Police Comics.
Post 2064 IP   flag post
Currently, my earliest copy of Police Comics is this high grade #10 (9.0 OW/W, CGC)...

Though not a huge fan of Gil Fox's covers, he does a pretty good job with this'n.
Post 2065 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

Second of the two Vital books! Interesting that Plas was given a feature book two-shot instead of the more customary one shot tryout. Something tells me this had more to do with paper quotas in WWII than popularity.

Inside the back cover.

OO

mm
Post 2066 IP   flag post
My first POLICE COMICS was #38 from January 1945 which also
contains a classic EISNER splash.

OO ("N" copy)

mm
Post 2067 IP   flag post
Plastic Man #16 is an Edgar Church copy, old label CGC graded 9.6 (OW/W)...

I'm starting to think my HP scanner was an X-ray machine in a previous life!
Post 2068 IP   flag post
Wonder why he was listed as "THE ORIGINAL SHIELD...".

OO (PEP COMICS #60 March 1947)

mm
Post 2069 IP   flag post
@martymann Use of the term "original" may have been a way of communicating to readers that The Shield was the first patriotically themed superhero. During the war there were literally dozens of imitators wearing some form of flag-draped longjohns. In some cases, teams of 'em. After the Axis fell most patriotically themed characters were mothballed, the prime exceptions being MLJ's The Shield and Timely's Captain America. By 1947, setting The Shield apart from the competition could've been a way of saying: "Hey folks, we were first and we're still here!".
Post 2070 IP   flag post

OO

mm
Post 2071 IP   flag post
Shield-Wizard #7, cover art has been attributed to Jack Kirby (pencils) & Irv Novick (inks).

This is the classic reboot issue for The Shield character! Not only is his costume redesigned with curious similarity to the outfit Jack Kirby & Joe Simon created for Captain America to leverage an editorship at Timely ...before they were canned after ten issues for moonlighting work anonymously to other publishers (Joe Simon claimed in his autobiography that they were not getting a fair split of the profits Martin Goodman had promised from CA)..., but The Shield loses his super powers!

This is the Edgar Church copy, CGC graded 9.4 (OW/W)...

Gotta love the creative dental work that The Wizard performs on the blue tinged pirate.
Post 2072 IP   flag post
Promotional page for the new POLICE COMICS format beginning with
issue number 103.

OO (From PLASTIC MAN #30RC)

mm
Post 2073 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Promotional page for the new POLICE COMICS format beginning with
issue number 103.

OO (From PLASTIC MAN #30RC)

mm
it mentions T-man. That is an extremely tough #1 to find I believe I have only seen one #1 above VG in my day
Post 2074 IP   flag post
@martymann Poor Ken Shannon must've felt mugged and robbed getting only 24 issues as a featured detective in Police Comics before the rug was pulled out from under him. Plastic Man had a 102 issue run and a self-titled comic in which to swagger around doing the boogie room dance. Plas even survives the dread CCA.

Ken just kept plugging away doing great detective work, then "Busy" closes the Police Dept.! Ken did finally get his own book, but it only lasts 10 issues. Life just ain't fair!
Post 2075 IP   flag post
MLJ leads the way! Here's PEP Comics #7 from 1940 featuring The Shield (pre-Dusty). He still has his super powers and original costume here. This is the Billy Wright pedigree copy, CGC graded, 9.2 OW/W)...

Post 2076 IP   flag post
Wild splash from PEP COMICS #59.

OO

mm
Post 2077 IP   flag post
PEP Comics #8 has another wild Irv Novick cover that's a whole new take on product branding. The Shield is having none of it, saying Tut, Tut to the proceedings...

Post 2078 IP   flag post
One of my favorite Irv Novick cover illustrations is PEP #9 which features The Shield saving victims from drowning in a subway tunnel. It may not have the same dramatic edge as knock-down drag-out fights with villains, but it has the heroism creds down pat...

Post 2079 IP   flag post
Here is the last pre-Dusty issue of PEP Comics featuring The Shield (9.2 old label CGC). This issue features a strong Irv Novick cover drawn from an interesting perspective that combines darkly nourish surroundings with vivid color...

Post 2080 IP   flag post
618083 5683 30