CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@CatmanAmerica are you at sdcc? I'll pm you

I'm at Verzyl's booth right now, ...in a comfortable chair!
Post 2026 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2027 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@poka did you see those bound volumes
Post 2028 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
NEW issue of Human Torch (#2) added to collection at SDCC 2018...

Congrats!!
Post 2029 IP   flag post
...Another MLJ favorite (probably my second fave MLJ overall)
Post 2030 IP   flag post

Here's a cool issue of Marvel Mystery. Issue #19 has a bunch of cool stories & art and another eye popping Alex Schomburg cover. Posted this beauty in the Rare High Grade thread earlier. This was one of my four Timely pick-ups at SDCC...

Post 2031 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here's a cool issue of Marvel Mystery. Issue #19 has a bunch of cool stories & art and another eye popping Alex Schomburg cover. Posted this beauty in the Rare High Grade thread earlier. This was one of my four Timely pick-ups at SDCC...

just curious as I habe no bearing on Schomburg stuff. What's a book like that cost on average. Also what grade would you give that copy?
Post 2032 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

just curious as I habe no bearing on Schomburg stuff. What's a book like that cost on average. Also what grade would you give that copy?

It's a raw book graded by Metropolis as 8.5 with the opinion that it may have had a very light cover cleaning. PQ is off white and supple.

Prices on books of this caliber are a judgment call. That said, early Marvel Mysterys with Schomburg covers in grade tend to bring a premium nowadays. Currently I'd estimate the value of this book at between $3000 to $4000 as currently graded.

That's my honest assessment. Of course, every collector's mileage varies on desirability, but in hand it's a crazy nice book, very clean & great color.
Post 2033 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica thanks for the info. In your travels if you find the book I am looking for please let me know. Take care.
Post 2034 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's a raw book graded by Metropolis as 8.5 with the opinion that it may have had a very light cover cleaning. PQ is off white and supple.

Prices on books of this caliber are a judgment call. That said, early Marvel Mysterys with Schomburg covers in grade tend to bring a premium nowadays. Currently I'd estimate the value of this book at between $3000 to $4000 as currently graded.

That's my honest assessment. Of course, every collector's mileage varies on desirability, but in hand it's a crazy nice book, very clean & great color.

Since I am in Italy, all I can say is Belisimo!
Post 2035 IP   flag post
My sole non-Timely purchase at SDCC was one of "Busy" Arnold's Quality titles, HIT #9, with a stunning Lou Fine cover. This book is an early CGC holdered high grade (8.5) with White page quality...

Post 2036 IP   flag post
One of my Timely acquisitions from SDCC has a weird kinda Grimm's fairy tale vibe to it. Alas, the real villain in Marvel Mystery #80 is the haberdashery. It's the Mad Hatter's attire that's truly cringeworthy! In spite of that, this terrific issue has a marquee appearance by Captain America, sharp color and registration, nice PQ topped off by high grade. What's not to like?...

Post 2037 IP   flag post
My newest aquisiton.

Post 2038 IP   flag post
My final 2018 SDCC Timely acquisition is another great issue of Cap, this one with a Syd Shores cover. His male villains frequectly have large noses (maybe Syd Shores was frightened as a youngster by a jimmy Durante performance). Anyway The Parrot keeps his torture victims in cages, which makes for a pretty creepy cover! This copy of Captain America #63 is an older label CGC graded 9.2 (OW/W)...

Post 2039 IP   flag post
Quote:
One of my Timely acquisitions from SDCC has a weird kinda Grimm's fairy tale vibe to it. Alas, the real villain in Marvel Mystery #80 is the haberdashery. It's the Mad Hatter's attire that's truly cringeworthy! In spite of that, this terrific issue has a marquee appearance by Captain America, sharp color and registration, nice PQ topped off by high grade. What's not to like?...

Great acquisitions all around Cat. Stunners. Are you going to have them slabbed?
Post 2040 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Quote:

Great acquisitions all around Cat. Stunners. Are you going to have them slabbed?

Thanks, Sagii!

Two of the five books I acquired at SDCC are already slabbed, at least one of the others will be as well, and that will be through CBCS.
Post 2041 IP   flag post
Got a nice high grade copy of this to go with my other high grade copy I had graded. 1944.

Post 2042 IP   flag post
Quote:
Got a nice high grade copy of this to go with my other high grade copy I had graded. 1944.

You are cornering the market on this one
Post 2043 IP   flag post
@Sagii there is another one on ebay for 125 that looks really nice at first glance. But has some issues when looking closer. A stain or two at bottom, some bent edges that may or may not be able to be straighten.
It's a tough book in high grade due to the inner comics is much smaler.than outer cover.
Post 2044 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2045 IP   flag post

Post 2046 IP   flag post
and since we are hunting Nazis...

Post 2047 IP   flag post
Successive high grade Schomburg covers (...Alex's covers are usually a success ), Harvey's All New Comics #9 & 10, issue number 9 being the Church copy...

Post 2048 IP   flag post
Police #26 has a really cool Jack Cole cover...

Post 2049 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica ...and some of COLES'S splash pages are as good
as the cover.

OO (POLICE COMICS #38)

mm
Post 2050 IP   flag post
Jack Cole definitely had a GIANT sized inspiration when it came to skulls and claws. Here are two of my favorite examples of Cole's sense of exaggerated proportionality and artistic flexibility...

Post 2051 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
@CatmanAmerica ...and some of COLES'S splash pages are as good
as the cover.

OO (POLICE COMICS #38)

mm
LOVE this Marty!
Post 2052 IP   flag post
@martymann Love seeing GA interiors as well, Marty (please post more). Also, many of your comics were bought by you personally off the racks, which is doubly envious!

Wish I could display interiors of comics in my collection, but most copies are high grade and/or pedigree books in holders. For instance, this sweet copy of Plastic Man #7 was originally Edgar Church's copy. No plans on cracking it out any time soon, but I'm confident the interiors are glorious (you can even get a hint of it through the cover!)...

I'm not sure how CBCS moderators feel about scanning pages from reprints readily available on-line from eBay vendors. Occasionally I acquire reprint copies of slabbed books in my collection for personal reading and as display copies to pass around during GA history lectures at conventions, but I wouldn't post anything here that might violate board rules.
Post 2053 IP   flag post
My one and only Airboy. The series had some great covers.

Interiors by Carmine The Great!

Post 2054 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
My one and only Airboy. The series had some great covers.

Interiors by Carmine The Great!

cool book. I only own one Airboy myself. I think this is the first one after Air fighters. V2 #1 I think
Post 2055 IP   flag post
619259 5695 30