Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Another cool Alex Schomburg cover, this copy of Sub-Mariner #18 is also a Timely file copy earmarket for Lloyd Jacquet...

Post 1976 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1977 IP   flag post

Post 1978 IP   flag post
This GFC contains Al Williamson's zip-toned masterpiece By George!! cover by Al Feldstein...

Post 1979 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
This GFC contains Al Williamson's zip-toned masterpiece By George!! cover by Al Feldstein...

Absolutely gorgeous cover! I might have to add that one to my want list.
Post 1980 IP   flag post

@esaravo Thanks, it was such an awesome cover that I painted it into an oil painting for a college art class 45 years ago, then presented it at Houstoncon to Al Williamson who'd done the awesome cover featured Weird Fantasy story "By George!!"

Al was so moved by the jesture that he presented me with an original Secret Agent Corrigan strip, which I had framed and cherish to this day. Note: Al is holding my painting, the geeky dude on the left holding Al's syndicated comic strip is your's truly...

I probably should've posted this in the FANDOM thread, but the tie-in was just too good to resist.
Post 1981 IP   flag post
Three post-war Caps with Marvel Magazine or Group iconography. Every Timely/Marvel title during this time briefly carried the icon on the right or left top corner (like a page flip) with the featured character. This concept lasted three to six months or three consecutive issues, then abruptly disappeared. The concept wouldn't be revived again until Marvel's Silver Age heroes took flight around 1963...

Interesting, how the past anticipates the future. Almost Orwellian, given the post number!
Post 1982 IP   flag post
Thanks! Yeah, those three Caps are pretty cool! Timely wasn't shy about trying bold experiments with their established characters. After artists Carl Burgos and Bill Everett finished that wild series of epic battles between the Human Torch & Sub-Mariner ...set up in Marvel Mystery #7, then carried on in consecutive issues 8-10... the fire vs. water themed conflict moved over and raged on in the Human Torch's magazine and raged on in issues 5(b), 8 & 10, all with outstanding Alex Schomburg covers. Here are those three awesome issues...

Post 1983 IP   flag post
Never tire of this Schomburg masterpiece. Mystic Comics first issue sports a pulp influenced cover that Alex reversed and lifted in part from a 1939 Spider cover painting.

For those curious about grade, this copy is 9.2 with OW page quality. IMO, Blue Blaze is a clever name for a costumed character of this era. Obviously taken from the exclamation "What in blue blazes!" that was a popular catch-phrase & alternative to swearing back in those days...

Post 1984 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Got two of the unused file copies. Notice back cover oval with no store ad. Circa 1950, but unable to find specific year. Always love the Christmas covers.

Post 1985 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Plus a couple of these as well. These were Sears giveaways. Again circa 1950, cant find specific date.
Post 1986 IP   flag post
Santa themes are very cool.

My most recent Santa image from 2017 has a sad note of melancholy to balance the good cheer. My friend and prominent dealer John Verzyl in his guise as Santa John joined by his esteemed helper Little John ...the world's tallest elf... delivering a prized CBCS graded grail to your's truly.

Tragically, this holiday visit would be Santa John's last to Casa del Gato as he was unexpectedly called away for a final journey Northward in the Spring of 2018. While relishing this last Marvel Mystery acquisition from John, I cherish the memories of our lengthy discussions about the hobby even more.

RIP to the cheeriest dealer in Comic Heaven...

Post 1987 IP   flag post
Here's the full image of Marvel Mystery #12, in it's holder. As a rule, I don't post images with labels regardless of grade, mostly because of the ridiculous policies on another board which preclude posting comic scans with grade labels other than their own. However, since John had this wonderful grail book graded by CBCS per my request I'm making an exception, posting the full scan here for the first time...

Post 1988 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Here's the full image of Marvel Mystery #12, in it's holder. As a rule, I don't post images with labels regardless of grade, mostly because of the ridiculous policies on another board which preclude posting comic scans with grade labels other than there own. However, since John had this wonderful grail book graded by CBCS per my request I'm making an exception, posting the full scan here for the first time...

Absolute GEM!!
Post 1989 IP   flag post
@Sagii Thanks, Sagii!

MMC#12 is one cool Kirby book. I'd long sought a copy in grade.
Post 1990 IP   flag post
While I'm posting Marvel Mystery covers, here's another great one. Worth noting is that this is a pre-Toro cover. Toro wouldn't be introduced until the first issue of Human Torch (#2, as Red Raven Comics was published as #1)...

Post 1991 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

OO

mm
Post 1992 IP   flag post
@martymann Nice'n, Marty!

Here's another sweet Marvel Mystery (9.2, OW), this wild Schomburg composition featuring acid spraying subterranean critters...

Post 1993 IP   flag post
Marvel Mystery Comics #28 arrived on the newsstand on December 16, 1941, just nine days after the Japanese surprise attack on the pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor. It would be two more months before most comics geared up to reflect the nation's new war footing, but there was a clear sense of the prospects for a coming war with Germany. For instance, this powerful cover has a Teutonic klansman-like hooded leader with ghoulish followers torturing a frightened young woman over an acid bath...

Post 1994 IP   flag post
Here's the following issue of Marvel Mystery from March '42. I swear, that poor girl in the blue dress just can't seem to keep outta trouble!!! This time, it's Teutonic klan-robed thugs armed with Tommy guns, pistols & knives supported by green troll henchmen trying to split the babe with a buzz saw! Oh, the humanity! It's a good thing she has the Torch on speed-dial...

Post 1995 IP   flag post
Before:

OO

After:

OO

mm
Post 1996 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Before:

OO

After:

OO

mm

Pretty book, Marty, and old label CGC (over two years ago), which is far better in a lot of folk's estimation than their current product given the recurring Newton ring issues that have plagued them since adopting their redesigned slab (there's an ongoing thread in CGC Gold pointing out recent horror stories right now).

I'm fond of a number af Schomburg's Standard (Better Pub.) covers. Here's a fabulous very early label Exciting (CGC 8.0, OW/W PQ)...

Occasionally I can still be prompted to post cover scans with labels over here, but CGC's policies preclude posting competitor's graded books so i rescanned all my books without labels for their site. It's their loss actually, since better than 90% of my older holdered high grade books are from their grading service. Go figure.
Post 1997 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica I severed all contact with CGC awhile back and was
pleased to find the CBCS site where I have been treated very well.
So far I've had a few comics graded here and have been pleased with
the results like this one.

OO

mm
Post 1998 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Tico Tico 1933

Published by Brazil O Malho 1907-1958

The oldest publisher in Brazilian history, which began in 1907, and
also among the earliest in global history

Post 1999 IP   flag post
Tico Tico 1935

Post 2000 IP   flag post
Tico Tico 1936

Post 2001 IP   flag post
Tico Tico 1937

Post 2002 IP   flag post
Tico Tico 1938

Laurel and Hardy

Post 2003 IP   flag post

Post 2004 IP   flag post
The final two issues of the classic Cat-Man series with L.B. Cole's highly stylized cover art...

Post 2005 IP   flag post
611388 5660 30