Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Two more late classic covers for the nineteen hundred fifty-third post in the GA thread. 1953 was a good year for EC comics, and these Gaines File Copies sport covers by Feldstein and Wood not to mention great stories and art inside...

Post 1951 IP   flag post
1954 is the last year before CCA censorship changed the GA landscape. In honor of the nineteen hundred fifty-fourth post and the recent passing of comic legend Steve Ditko, here's my final tie-in of post number and publication date. The Thing #14 is dated 6/54...

Post 1952 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
How about a Superman #100 for 1955?

Post 1953 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I have recently purchased a small lot of GA comics. A lot of the comics are high grade. The OO has written his name on the front cover. Looks like Raymond L. Sheets.

Just wish to see if this name ring a bell to anyone.
Post 1954 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
How about a Superman #100 for 1955?

Well, the CCA stamp and all new stories tag pretty much removes the book from the GA, but it's a sweet early SA book nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
I have recently purchased a small lot of GA comics. A lot of the comics are high grade. The OO has written his name on the front cover. Looks like Raymond L. Sheets.

Just wish to see if this name ring a bell to anyone.

Don't recognize the OO's name, but congrats on snaggin' the lot!
Post 1955 IP   flag post

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica - Some call the mid-1950's the Atomic Age (but alas, not Golden).
Post 1956 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@CatmanAmerica - Some call the mid-1950's the Atomic Age (but alas, not Golden).

Maybe it's just me, but I consider the "Atomic Age" designation a sub-genre. It's no less relevant to understanding the history, but much less of a sea change to the landscape than the CCA's intrusion on the industry.

The Comics Code Authority determined what was artistically permissible for publication, wiping out a lot of marginal publishers who were deeply invested in producing horror and crime comics. The last vestiges of the GA ended when those small publishers folded rather than submit to the CCA.

No real disagreement here, it just comes down to how widely or narrowly one chooses to define these eras.
Post 1957 IP   flag post
ok. been a while since I last visited this thread. I expect to get the grades next week for the 2 WDCS collections I bought and submitted a few months ago. The smaller of the two collections had a few restored books. Hope they were all caught before submitting

In the meantime - just got these back from grading

Post 1958 IP   flag post

Post 1959 IP   flag post

Post 1960 IP   flag post

Post 1961 IP   flag post
One of my favorite Schomburg Subby covers. Sub-Mariner #6 (Summer, 1942), stands out as a powerful war cover with a lot going on, but a perfectly balanced center of interest...

Post 1962 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
So this Jingle Jangle series that ran for a bit, has some gorgeous covers.
I think most are forgotten because they rarely come up in high grade in 1 thru 25, but even after that they are rarely seen in much better than Vg. Ebay has a few low numbered copies and the sellers want 200 to 400+ for those ragged copies.
So I have been sitting on these file copies 1-24, less #2 & #6 for some time, but time to send them in. The colors on some are intense in person. All going in mail for grading this week.

#1 1942

Post 1963 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
This #4 is unreal color
Post 1964 IP   flag post
Post 1965 IP   flag post
#7 & #8

Post 1966 IP   flag post
#9 & #10

Post 1967 IP   flag post
#11 & #12

Post 1968 IP   flag post
13 & #14

Post 1969 IP   flag post
#15 & #16

Post 1970 IP   flag post
17, 18, 19, 20

Post 1971 IP   flag post
#21, 22, 23 & 24. 22 is amazing colors. All head out in mail tomorrow. Whoop whoop hope I get some goods grades.

Post 1972 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1973 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01 Amazing run! Congrats!
Post 1974 IP   flag post
Another classic Schomburg supersized superhero cover, this one with Subby weighing anchor and lowering the boom on some unhappy Japanese sub sailors. Loads of action in Sub-Mariner #10...

Post 1975 IP   flag post
Another cool Alex Schomburg cover, this copy of Sub-Mariner #18 is also a Timely file copy earmarket for Lloyd Jacquet...

Post 1976 IP   flag post

Post 1977 IP   flag post

Post 1978 IP   flag post
This GFC contains Al Williamson's zip-toned masterpiece By George!! cover by Al Feldstein...

Post 1979 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
This GFC contains Al Williamson's zip-toned masterpiece By George!! cover by Al Feldstein...

Absolutely gorgeous cover! I might have to add that one to my want list.
Post 1980 IP   flag post
611385 5660 30