Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
@earthshaker01 Take a few minutes one night and go through Heritage Auctions completed sales listings for these titles/publisher in the last two years...you're in for a shocker
wI'll do, but I'm afraid if I see high numbers I will be tempted to sell. I really want to wait about a decade, retire, sell it all and move away. But I'll take a look some night.
Post 1876 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Quote:
@earthshaker01 Take a few minutes one night and go through Heritage Auctions completed sales listings for these titles/publisher in the last two years...you're in for a shocker
wI'll do, but I'm afraid if I see high numbers I will be tempted to sell. I really want to wait about a decade, retire, sell it all and move away. But I'll take a look some night.
Your plan is similar to mine: Want to spend two more years going after a few more must haves, stop collecting and hold the collection for 10 years (sharing it on forums, exibits, local tv spots, etc) then let it go.
Post 1877 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your plan is similar to mine: Want to spend two more years going after a few more must haves, stop collecting and hold the collection for 10 years (sharing it on forums, exibits, local tv spots, etc) then let it go.
Would love to show this collection on TV or Web some how. 1100 plus GA and SA Slabs at least half are highest graded. Nt to mention all the similiar raw I haven't graded yet. Was thinking of renting a local gallery and doing a showing one day.
Post 1878 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Would love to show this collection on TV or Web some how. 1100 plus GA and SA Slabs at least half are highest graded. Nt to mention all the similiar raw I haven't graded yet. Was thinking of renting a local gallery and doing a showing one day.
GOALS!! I have A LOT more slabbing to do But the gallery route is a great idea. And a lot of local TV stations pick up on stories like that. Also Heritage Auctions Magazine the Intelligent Collector profiles special collections of various interest too. Upload it to You Tube it if you get there before me
Post 1879 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 Here is a link to one, granted it's the Church copy, but still.....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/gay-comics-32-mile-high-pedigree-timely-1948-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121822-11451.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417
Post 1880 IP   flag post

@Sagii dang 14k I wonder what my Comedy Comics #1 would bring.
Post 1881 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Sagii dang 14k I wonder what my Comedy Comics #1 would bring.
As the highest graded #1? When you're ready to sell i think you're going to do JUST fine!
Post 1882 IP   flag post

Post 1883 IP   flag post
Here is a #1 book that's kind of cool. Don't know much about it, I am sure one of you guys could tell me if there is anything significant about it. Nice shape got about 10 years ago.
Post 1884 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here is a #1 book that's kind of cool. Don't know much about it, I am sure one of you guys could tell me if there is anything significant about it. Nice shape got about 10 years ago.

It was written, drawn & inked by Joe Kubert and reflects the artist's passion for the subject matter. I haven't kept up with the market value, but a couple of years ago it topped out at under $300 in Overstreet. Hope this helps.
Post 1885 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:

It was written, drawn & inked by Joe Kubert and reflects the artist's passion for the subject matter. I haven't kept up with the market value, but a couple of years ago it topped out at under $300 in Overstreet. Hope this helps.
T
Thanks for the info. I need to get it in for grading soon. Just sitting in house. I guess I'll have to see where it grades to see if it has any value. Thanks again
Post 1886 IP   flag post
Quote:

Cat cover to Cat cover
Post 1887 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Cat cover to Cat cover

Uhh...right back to ya meow!!!
Post 1888 IP   flag post
Cat covers? Fur sure...

Post 1889 IP   flag post
...and not all of 'em are scaredy cats!

Post 1890 IP   flag post
Quote:
...and not all of 'em are scaredy cats!

I knew the Catman couldn't resist this theme Awesome kitty covers!
Post 1891 IP   flag post
@Sagii so here is something you don't see everyday since we are talking cats, sorta. You know I havery this highest graded Cosmo Cat #1, we'll I hear there was some question that a #2 didn't had something odd about cover.
I know that the first four are tough to find in fine or above. So here are mine. You will notice #2 & #4 have the same cover. Maybe that's what was meant when I heard about #2.

Post 1892 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Sagii so here is something you don't see everyday since we are talking cats, sorta. You know I havery this highest graded Cosmo Cat #1, we'll I hear there was some question that a #2 didn't had something odd about cover.
I know that the first four are tough to find in fine or above. So here are mine. You will notice #2 & #4 have the same cover. Maybe that's what was meant when I heard about #2.

I can't see what's odd about the cover of #2, but it seems pretty obvious what occurred in respect to cover's repetition. The first thing I noticed was issues #1-3 were published by Victor Fox in the late 40's, the 4th, ten years later. That is odd because Fox filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in July of 1950. If I'm not mistaken Fox sold off his comic assets by the mid-50's.

The fourth issue ...with no publisher imprint on the cover... has the designation: 1959 Edition. The oddest thing about this cover is the lack of a Comics Code Authority approval stamp. If memory serves, there was at least one major comic publisher who kept unimpeded newsstand distribution without ever submitting art for approval to the CCA. Which begs the question, were there others?

In the case of Cosmo Cat #4, I think the book may be a total retread from cover to cover distributed by a small scale publisher who flew under the radar of the CCA. Someone with a broader knowledge of all four book's contents will be required to give weight to this hypothesis.
Post 1893 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I can't see what's odd about the cover of #2, but it seems pretty obvious what occurred in respect to cover's repetition. The first thing I noticed was issues #1-3 were published by Victor Fox in the late 40's, the 4th, ten years later. That is odd because Fox filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in July of 1950. If I'm not mistaken Fox sold off his comic assets by the mid-50's.

The fourth issue ...with no publisher imprint on the cover... has the designation: 1959 Edition. The oddest thing about this cover is the lack of a Comics Code Authority approval stamp. If memory serves, there was at least one major comic publisher who kept unimpeded newsstand distribution without ever submitting art for approval to the CCA. Which begs the question, were there others?

In the case of Cosmo Cat #4, I think the book may be a total retread from cover to cover distributed by a small scale publisher who flew under the radar of the CCA. Someone with a broader knowledge of all four book's contents will be required to give weight to this hypothesis.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like some shenanigans with these books. Wonder if having these 4 are rare or not. I just don't think I have seen all together like this. Fun books nonetheless.
Post 1894 IP   flag post
Quote:
These are amazing. Catman beat me to the puzzle, but sweet books all the same. A few of the funny animal Foxes have reprint editions (the Fox logo on the front obviously ID's the first edition). This one of my faves, almost bought the reprint before landing this one until i did some homework. It's a 'Swipe' of Disney characters on a Horror cover. Pluto, Mickey and Goofy never looked so 'off'.
Post 1895 IP   flag post
Since Fox's Ribtickler had a skeleton, thought it might be kinda cool to slip in this Timely with a giant nazi skeleton (Syd Shores cover art)...

Post 1896 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

OO (N copy)

mm
Post 1897 IP   flag post

OO (E copy)

mm
Post 1898 IP   flag post

OO (E copy)

mm
Post 1899 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

OO (E copy)

mm
what E copy mean?
Post 1900 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

OO (E copy)

mm
what E copy mean?

Most of my comic books bought from the corner newsroom
on Garside Avenue and Park Avenue were always marked with
an E...just as those bought from the newsroom on Bloomfield
Avenue were marked with an N...both locations are in Newark, NJ.

Marty
Post 1901 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

OO (E copy)

mm
what E copy mean?

Most of my comic books bought from the corner newsroom
on Garside Avenue and Park Avenue were always marked with
an E...just as those bought from the newsroom on Bloomfield
Avenue were marked with an N...both locations are in Newark, NJ.

Marty
Gotcha. I have a nice.copy of that funny frolics amd Warrior comics as well. Nice to see other copies out there.
Post 1902 IP   flag post
Sweet high grade (9.4) Pennsylvania copy of Daring Mystery #7 with a whole bunch of newly minted costumed heroes displayed in vignette on a spiffy Schomburg cover...

Post 1903 IP   flag post
Probably should post the follow-up issue of DMC (this is the Recil Macon ped. copy). #8 was also the last issue of Daring Mystery Comics. There would be a brief Daring Comics series featuring Timely's top tier characters), but as a try-out book, the series ended here. #8 also has the honor of being the last cover produced by Jack Kirby for Timely...

Post 1904 IP   flag post
One of the coolest Timely war covers, Mystic Comics #7 has all the right stuff to make it a classic: bondage & torture, Hitler, a cobweb covered skeleton, a multi-armed knife wielding idol, and a Pandora's Box full of demons with the mighty Destroyer ready to open up a big can of whoop-ass...

CBCS (9.2)
Post 1905 IP   flag post
611385 5660 30