Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
What is a file copy? I see this in posts and I am not sure what that is. Thanks
Post 5426 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgwalters100
What is a file copy? I see this in posts and I am not sure what that is. Thanks
well there are a couple definitions, but usually meant copies that were kept back as references copies by a publishing company, or undistributed issus found after a copy had ended. In this case these file copies I post from Dell came from one of the two people that pur hated the contents of the Dell warehouse in NY in the late 70s.
I met one of the purchasers about 10 years ago who had kept several copies of each different title found in the warehouse. Some going back to the 40s. Anyhow, he wanted to unload them and had a few thousand books in storage. He let me cherry pick the boxes. 10 or 12 years ago Dell wasn't on anyone's radar. So I paid pennies on the dollar and pulled any four colors, Dell giants. One shots, and he had some Gold Key as well, I took any #1's.
Post 5427 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Jgwalters100 - Publishers back in the day typically saved several copies of each issue that were printed and filed them away, sometimes in actual filing cabinets. Those issues were never circulated, and are therefore typically in high grades. Some of the most famous (and most valuable) file copies are the EC file copies that are referred to as William (Bill) M. Gaines file copies. From 1950 to 1955, he stored away approximately 12 copies of every EC comic published during those years (after first wrapping them in paper). When those copies were eventually graded, many received super-high grades (several 9.6’s and 9.8’s). Most of the highest-graded copies of EC’s are those file copies.
Post 5428 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01 @esaravo - How would anyone who didn't know firsthand that these were file copies? not from the condition. After all, there are comics that came out of spinner racks that have received a 9.8. Is there a marking of any kind to indicate file copy? or is it just because the person who submitted them for grading knows this is the case? just curious, because some "file copies" in high grades are worth less than non-"file copies" in lower grades.
Post 5429 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice thanks for answering. That's why I like this forum people are knowledgeable and helpful. Good looking out
Post 5430 IP   flag post

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@earthshaker01 @esaravo - How would anyone who didn't know firsthand that these were file copies? not from the condition. After all, there are comics that came out of spinner racks that have received a 9.8. Is there a marking of any kind to indicate file copy? or is it just because the person who submitted them for grading knows this is the case? just curious, because some "file copies" in high grades are worth less than non-"file copies" in lower grades.
Usually you have to have some provenance or ability to prove its a file copy. Like having proof the original owner stating where, how and when they got them and it's been sold to someone else. Not easy to prove chain of custody after decades if the original buyer is gone. If I come across someone touting a file copy for sale that's ungraded I'll expect proof. If it's graded, then that has already been verified by the grading company, I assume. They aren't just taking someone's word for it, I imagine.
Post 5431 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort - Hopefully a person at CBCS can answer that question.
Post 5432 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not with CBCS, but the designation is pretty self-evident. File copies can pretty much be defined as any comic retained by publisher or staff which wasn't distributed for sale to the public. Those with provenance ...like Gaines File Copies... don't have markings because they were set aside by the printer and stored by the publisher, then provided with certificates of authenticity when made available to collectors. Many of those certificates were submitted at time of grading, some of which have sadly been lost over time.

Other books designated as File Copies are more clearly identified (pay copies, editor copies, courtroom copies, etc.) and have payment notations, penciled comments or ink stamps that identify their purpose and/or destination; often these also have masthead staple holes where a note was originally affixed. Hope this helps.
Post 5433 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
A marked file copy...

Post 5434 IP   flag post
Another file copy from the Dell warehouse sale. I consider this "Bugs Bunny Christmas Funnies" #1 (1950) in high grade, even more difficult to find than Vacation Parade #1 (1950) or "Christmas Parade" #1 (1949). Not sure why, but I never see this book in high grade in the wild.

The back cover art is fantastic.

Post 5435 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Another file copy from the Dell warehouse sale. I consider this "Bugs Bunny Christmas Funnies" #1 (1950) in high grade, even more difficult to find than Vacation Parade #1 (1950) or "Christmas Parade" #1 (1949). Not sure why, but I never see this book in high grade in the wild.

I don't see a marking on yours like @figment's. How can you tell that yours is a "file copy?"

Great book BTW.
Post 5436 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica, I just read your comments. Thanks for the explanation.
Post 5437 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see a marking on yours like @figment's. How can you tell that yours is a "file copy?"

Great book BTW.
I think I explained it up a few comments of sorts, in a nutshell these are from the PC of one the two purchasers of the Dell warehouse contents on the late 70s, in NY. I won't mention his name as he is now fairly private. I'm not sure where you heard that file copies or warehouses copies have to have a mark on them. Verification can come from other certified means. I have file copies from Fawcett, Commerical Comics, etc..that don't have marks but have been verified through other means.
Even a marked comic like in previous post shown here from Western Publishing should be verified. Just because there is a stamp that says file copy of some nature on it doesn't mean someone didn't just make a ink stamp. Seems that would be easy to do. Therefore, I'd even want that verified on where it came from.
Post 5438 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great book BTW.
I think I explained it up a few comments of sorts, in a nutshell these are from the PC of one the two purchasers of the Dell warehouse contents on the late 70s, in NY. I won't mention his name as he is now fairly private. I'm not sure where you heard that file copies or warehouses copies have to have a mark on them. Verification can come from other certified means. I have file copies from Fawcett, Commerical Comics, etc..that don't have marks but have been verified through other means.
Even a marked comic like in previous post shown here from Western Publishing should be verified. Just because there is a stamp that says file copy of some nature on it doesn't mean someone didn't just make a ink stamp. Seems that would be easy to do. Therefore, I'd even want that verified on where it came from.

Got it. Thanks.
Post 5439 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty sure Harvey would stamp "file copy" on the first page. I know I bought a handful from the warehouse find back in the day. If I can find them I will open them up and take some photos.
Post 5440 IP   flag post
Collector Moomba private msg quote post Address this user
I acquired a few issues of Western Comics and All-Star Western Comics recently, nothing in high grade but they have some cool covers.

Western Comics #6 (1948)

Post 5441 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CatmanAmerica, I just read your comments. Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks! Just to dot the i's and cross the t's, here's an example: Gaines File Copy with it's original COA...

Post 5442 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY...WOW!...that's what I should develop for the
day I decide to sell off some books!
Post 5443 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
funny you should say that. I've been talking to someone about doing a certification for all my oddball stuff. Even maybe having everything I own gets it's collection name and labeling books to be graded and regarding the ones I already had labeled. Since I'll be selling it all soon. They would take the cost out to do that when the comic sells. Would be fun to do.
Post 5444 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
funny you should say that. I've been talking to someone about doing a certification for all my oddball stuff. Even maybe having everything I own gets it's collection name and labeling books to be graded and regarding the ones I already had labeled. Since I'll be selling it all soon. They would take the cost out to do that when the comic sells. Would be fun to do.

Any design ideas?
Post 5445 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any design ideas?
Nothing nailed down, but have been tossing a few names around like the "California Collection." Or maybe the "Esoteric Collection." "Last name + Collection" might be an option. We shall see.
Post 5446 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Good or bad, I opted for a small, unintrusive sticker that says, "The Collection of (my name)". I have it on all of my graded books.

Post 5447 IP   flag post

Post 5448 IP   flag post
Collector Moomba private msg quote post Address this user
All-star Western Comics #69, this one fairly early in the run and with the Ghost Sheriff.

Post 5449 IP   flag post
Quote:

Getting those signatures will be a challenge. That said, Bob Overstreet is still a possibility.

I'd suggest getting Nick Cage's John Hancock (since John Hancock is no longer available). Nick Cage's signature is already on a number of prestige labels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

Excellent design concept from Jack, ...and the rainbow color scheme adds just enough nuanced controversiality to generate maximum public buzz.

Side note, the "Marvelous" header will make DC jealous! It's a win/win.
Post 5450 IP   flag post
Meanwhile, here are a couple of more prized books from my collection...

Post 5451 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica Prize 32 and 33 are two of my favorite covers
Post 5452 IP   flag post
I don't have a Nicolas Cage signature but, I do have a book from his collection.

Post 5453 IP   flag post
I have 21 Gaines file copy books. Most are Mad Magazines. Here is a nice EC book.

Post 5454 IP   flag post
And I have 10 Davis Crippen books. Here is one of them...

Post 5455 IP   flag post
611349 5660 30