Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4676 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
1951. White Pages. Love it.

Post 4677 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
My son's foray into the 1930's. I'm sort of surprised the Smash #10 wasn't marketed as an Iron Man prototype.

Post 4678 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@figment need to add Crackajack Funnies #1 1938 to that collection of 30s books.
Post 4679 IP   flag post

Post 4680 IP   flag post

Post 4681 IP   flag post
Collector Moomba private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4682 IP   flag post

Post 4683 IP   flag post
Some recent acquisitions

Post 4684 IP   flag post

Post 4685 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
My son's foray into the 1930's. I'm sort of surprised the Smash #10 wasn't marketed as an Iron Man prototype.

Golden Age comics, but better!

Post 4686 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Some recent additions.

Post 4687 IP   flag post
Not a new acquisition, but a kewl one: Second appearance of Daredevil and first in alternating red/blue costume! Over half the book was illustrated by Jack Cole as well...

Post 4688 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Took me a long time to find this book in high grade, but it's mine now.
Hot Dog #1 (1954)
Post 4689 IP   flag post

Post 4690 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4691 IP   flag post
Some early Torchy appearances. The Doll Man Quarterly #8, her first comic book appearance, and the entire Torchy series are now in Steve's grading queue.

Post 4692 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Here's my Blackhawk. 1949, so I think that counts.

Post 4693 IP   flag post
Having some interest in Timely Comics, and a small collection thereof, I was wondering what you folks think about the recent price craziness of Marvel Mystery #4.

A 1.8 at Heritage sold for $18000, a 3.5 at Comiclink sold for $26000, and the 7.5 at Comiclink is now at $32000 with nearly two weeks left. Is this realistic? Is it sustainable?

I about fell out of my seat when I saw that $18K for a 1.8 and it makes me wonder what other books are soon to be WAY out of reach. Just curious, thanks for any reply.
Post 4694 IP   flag post
@figment With only 30 blue labels to go around books like this will command higher and higher prices when collectors realize the finite amount.

Kind of why I slowed on silver age collecting...everyone has a copy!
Post 4695 IP   flag post
@MrNotSoNice here is my #9(#1) sorry for poor pic. But it's a pretty nice copy.
Post 4696 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
I used to have quite a few GA books - probably 100+ but they were all stolen about 6 years ago now. I had a Superman #20 and a Marvel Mystery #11 that I was exceptionally proud of. Also had a bunch of the Captain Marvel Adventures and some Sub-Mariner books among others.

I have a few ungraded GA books now, but have started to hone in on GA pedigree books as I can. Most I have so far are westerns - mostly because they seem to be cheaper than the Superhero stuff I would prefer to get. I really like seeing those pedigree labels sitting in my office.

PDG
Post 4697 IP   flag post
Here is another one I just picked up that's taken a long time for me to find in high grade. Dover the Bird #1 (1955)
Post 4698 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Having some interest in Timely Comics, and a small collection thereof, I was wondering what you folks think about the recent price craziness of Marvel Mystery #4.

A 1.8 at Heritage sold for $18000, a 3.5 at Comiclink sold for $26000, and the 7.5 at Comiclink is now at $32000 with nearly two weeks left. Is this realistic? Is it sustainable?

I about fell out of my seat when I saw that $18K for a 1.8 and it makes me wonder what other books are soon to be WAY out of reach. Just curious, thanks for any reply.

The 7.5 Marvel Mystery #4 is now at a bid of $108K
Post 4699 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Crazy! Just went up to $113K. Last time the Top 3 (not including restored) sold was in 2012 and then 2002. A couple people want it really bad and have the money. It could be another decade before the next one is up for sale.

Post 4700 IP   flag post
Schomburg Timely's hammering for nose-bleed prices doesn't surprise me. MM#4 has been a low supply, high demand book for quite some time.

Speaking of hammering, Alex's cover for Mystic Comics #1 (3/40) is a very clever reverse swipe of an early Spider pulp cover (6/39)...

Banks will undoubtably raise their safety deposit fees accordingly.
Post 4701 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica As usual, I very much enjoy your posts and your books are...

Post 4702 IP   flag post
Our one and only Gerber 9.

Post 4703 IP   flag post
Looks like Speed Carter had to step on the gas to get outta this mess...

Post 4704 IP   flag post
Picked up a second copy of the 1948 Dead-eye Western #1. This book is hard to find in general, but really hard to find in high grade. Here is the one i had graded a few years ago and my new raw copy. Ill clean it and press it next weekend and send it in.

Post 4705 IP   flag post
611405 5660 30