Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Collector CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4451 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4452 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01



Love this book!

Cannot believe that the other CGC 9.4 just sold for $7200!


Post 4453 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
Found this in an OKC comic shop last week. This makes the second extremely rare Thrilling Comic I've found in OKC. Wouldn't mind finding more.

Post 4454 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Found this in an OKC comic shop last week. This makes the second extremely rare Thrilling Comic I've found in OKC. Wouldn't mind finding more.

Love it!
Post 4455 IP   flag post


Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Three Ring Comics #3

Published by Superior Publishing, Canada 1946 for distribution to the UK.


Post 4456 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Bill-Kid

Black Rider

Artist: Jayme Cortez

Edicáo Juvenil

Comico Colegial #197

Published by La Selva, Brazil 1954


Post 4457 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Black Cat Comics "Harvey"

Artist: Luiz Fernando Guimarães - 'Lutz'

Novo o Globo Juvenil #2088

Published by RGE, Brazil 1954


Post 4458 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KomicKazi
Three Ring Comics #3

Published by Superior Publishing, Canada 1946 for distribution to the UK.



Never seen this one before. Does it have the Archie story?
Post 4459 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
About time I added my favorite book in my collection to this thread.


Post 4460 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokioo
About time I added my favorite book in my collection to this thread.


AMAZING! Congratulations!
Post 4461 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Have any of you seen this "Promise Collection", that's up for sale at Heritage. 9.8s of just about every timely book an others. Unbelievable story if how they survived. One brother's promise to protect his comics if he died in war, which sadly he did. I have never seen Timelys or schomburgs this high grade before. I'm not a fan personally of schomburg at all really, but I can appreciate these grades in such key books.
https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+792+4294943306#7244-249001
Post 4462 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Have any of you seen this "Promise Collection", that's up for sale at Heritage. 9.8s of just about every timely book an others. Unbelievable story if how they survived. One brother's promise to protect his comics if he died in war, which sadly he did. I have never seen Timelys or schomburgs this high grade before. I'm not a fan personally of schomburg at all really, but I can appreciate these grades in such key books.
https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+792+4294943306#7244-249001
The Timelys are amazing. Love Schomburg but these are seriously outside my price range. There is going to be a starving chickens in a grain silo level of craziness involving these books. I will bid on at least one of them but I have already consigned myself to what will be considered, "tracking bids."
Post 4463 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
I...just...don't quite...buy it.

The books in the Promise Collection are ASTOUNDING. I'm in awe and I'm not even a GA collector. It's just that the Church Collection is generally regarded as the most well-preserved books out there and those were discovered in 1977. These are hitting the market 44 years later and many are 9.8s?

The anonymous consigner, the secrecy, no photos of the brothers, no last names, no details as to how a collection sat in an attic for 70 years and there's no foxing. I just don't know what to think.

There are folks on the CGC boards saying they're overgraded and that may be true. If that's the case then it shows what a glaring conflict of interest it is to have an auction house selling books from a grading company that they essentially own.

(Geez, I sound so cynical).
Post 4464 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
The startling comics 49 from promised collection is a 9.6

The church copy is a 9.6.
I only saw the church copy in a metro catalogue decade plus ago and I can remember the church copy is bloody gorgeous with inks that look like they are still wet due to the gloss and deep colors.

Promise copy is really nice, but you wouldn't want to put it next to the church.
But that is in just one book.


Also the promise may have been pressed.
The church books not in the new pedigree redesigned labels have a high chance of never being pressed.

Maybe the reason the promise have a high grades
Post 4465 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross @MatterEaterLad @Badger Funny thing is they have a Promise Collection copy of The Complete Book of True Crime in 8.0. The description says only 1 in 8.0, none higher.
However, I have my CGC copy and it's 8.0. Crappie part for a buyer of the one on Heritage is they may pay a premium price for thinking they are getting the only 8.0 highest graded, when in fact I have one. I guess it would be good for me if price shoots up. Just odd. It should say 2 in 8.0, none higher.
Mines never been pressed, so I may crack it press it myself and see if I can squeeze a 8.5 or 9.0 out of it after the auction.
Post 4466 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Planet Comics #22

Published by H. John Edwards, Australia 1954


Post 4467 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Planet Comics #14

Artist: Howard Larsen

Published by H. John Edwards, Australia 1952


Post 4468 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@southerncross @MatterEaterLad @Badger Funny thing is they have a Promise Collection copy of The Complete Book of True Crime in 8.0. The description says only 1 in 8.0, none higher.
However, I have my CGC copy and it's 8.0. Crappie part for a buyer of the one on Heritage is they may pay a premium price for thinking they are getting the only 8.0 highest graded, when in fact I have one. I guess it would be good for me if price shoots up. Just odd. It should say 2 in 8.0, none higher.
Mines never been pressed, so I may crack it press it myself and see if I can squeeze a 8.5 or 9.0 out of it after the auction.


Bet the promise copy hasn't been entered into the census yet.
And I suspect with the books that get listed the automatic program is doing it's job, only one copy.

Look for a price bump on your book mate
And hope for a grade bump if you CPR 👍
Post 4469 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@southerncross @MatterEaterLad @Badger Funny thing is they have a Promise Collection copy of The Complete Book of True Crime in 8.0. The description says only 1 in 8.0, none higher.
However, I have my CGC copy and it's 8.0. Crappie part for a buyer of the one on Heritage is they may pay a premium price for thinking they are getting the only 8.0 highest graded, when in fact I have one. I guess it would be good for me if price shoots up. Just odd. It should say 2 in 8.0, none higher.
Mines never been pressed, so I may crack it press it myself and see if I can squeeze a 8.5 or 9.0 out of it after the auction.


Bet the promise copy hasn't been entered into the census yet.
And I suspect with the books that get listed the automatic program is doing it's job, only one copy.

Look for a price bump on your book mate
And hope for a grade bump if you CPR 👍


I hope your right on the price bump. I plan on selling everything this year or by early next year. Heritage is supposed to come take a look in June and decide what's best to do with all this stuff.
Post 4470 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross why wouldn't it be entered into the census at cgc by now. The comic is graded and out on the market. Unless the Heritage program is lagging on updating off the census. Either way it may mislead a buyer thinking there is only one.
Post 4471 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@southerncross why wouldn't it be entered into the census at cgc by now. The comic is graded and out on the market. Unless the Heritage program is lagging on updating off the census. Either way it may mislead a buyer thinking there is only one.


I remember many many years ago buying Rocky mountain pedigrees off comic link.
I got in touch with CGC for grading notes.
That was at a time when they were free.
There were none for the 9.2s generally they are so I figured they hadn't been put in the system yet.

I suspect the Promise copy got graded and out the door before data was entered into the census.

If you're selling books.

You wouldn't by chance have a Wonder comics 13
Or a atlas Menace 11?
Post 4472 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Exciting Comics

Black Terror

Edicáo Juvenil

Cômico Colegial #2

Published by La Selva, Brazil 1950
Post 4473 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Superman #2
Suplemento Juvenil #934
Published by Grande Consórcio Suplementos Nacionais, Brazil 1940


Post 4474 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Brazilian Original of Timely Comics

Gibi Mensal #61

Sub-Mariner Comics

Artist: Luiz Fernando Guimarães - 'Lutz'

Published by O Globo, Brazil 1946


Post 4475 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user





mm
Post 4476 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
O Globo Juvenil Mensal #90

Published by O Globo, Brazil 1948


Post 4477 IP   flag post
Collector caranz private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4478 IP   flag post
CBCS President & Comic Cover Connoisseur sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Love this cover!

Post 4479 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Love this cover!



Cool book can't stand seeing the condition prior to grading it. It has much more potential. Send it to me and I'll press some life back into it. Lol
Post 4480 IP   flag post
418830 4603 30
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.