Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a 7.5 that survived over the years.

mm
Post 4151 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
@KYDU & @CatmanAmerica thank you both for your very kind mentions.
The majority of my collection runs between 3.0 to 6.0 with a few
7.0s and 7.5s...but after all the years of moving them about I'm
always surprised they held up as good as they did.

mm

I’m sure you also read them many times over, the graders are not as strict on Golden age I would say. In any case great that you have them and thank you for showing them.
Post 4152 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@KYDU hopefully the rest of us will post something you find worthy in here. I've seen amazing books in all grades by many posters.

Don’t get the wrong idea. I think all the books here are amazing. Just pointed those two out for being very active. I’m sure there are people on here who never post with collections that make us sit down to breathe. I’ll keep an eye out for your posts.
Post 4153 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
I'm going to butt in and give my hugely less than adequate opinion, in comparison to Cat's and Earthshaker's, that many times high grade, when talking about GA, is relative to the book in question. For instance, there are (3) 9.4s and (1) 9.6 All Select Comics #10 on the CGC census. There are another 5 copies in 8.5 to 9.2. For a GA issue, that is a pretty healthy population and I would say that 8.5 and higher would be considered high grade, in this case.

Then you have a book like Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #40 where there are no books graded higher than 8.0 yet there are 25% more graded copies, overall, than All Select #10. For a book like this I would say the single 8.0 is high grade and is in fact the highest grade currently known. I would even be willing to call, with slight hesitation, the lone 7.5 copy high grade. Even using these lax standards for high grade, there are no high grade copies of either book on the CBCS census.

GA is tough to collect, and I am happy with my overall midgrade collection; however, some books are more difficult than others. I believe, within reason, the high grade definition can be relaxed for those books that have limited high grade copies. Using this perspective gives you 9 high grade copies of All Select #10, at least 1, and maybe 2, high grade copies of Archie's Girls #40, and, as an outlier, no high grade copies of Marvel Mystery Comics Annual nn since the highest known grade is a lone 6.5 with the rest being 4.5 and below.

I'd only disagree in respect to using the term high grade based solely on the scarcity of a book in higher grades. When claiming a book is high grade there needs to be a commonly recognized baseline marker, say 8.5 and above. Using scarce outliers as exceptions only creates confusion that requires more explanation and defensive posturing. One can always say that a book is the highest grade if that's determined by census numbers.

For instance, last time I checked, this was the highest graded copy...

...but it still isn't a high grade, it's a high mid-grade copy.
Post 4154 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
I'm going to butt in and give my hugely less than adequate opinion, in comparison to Cat's and Earthshaker's, that many times high grade, when talking about GA, is relative to the book in question. For instance, there are (3) 9.4s and (1) 9.6 All Select Comics #10 on the CGC census. There are another 5 copies in 8.5 to 9.2. For a GA issue, that is a pretty healthy population and I would say that 8.5 and higher would be considered high grade, in this case.

Then you have a book like Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #40 where there are no books graded higher than 8.0 yet there are 25% more graded copies, overall, than All Select #10. For a book like this I would say the single 8.0 is high grade and is in fact the highest grade currently known. I would even be willing to call, with slight hesitation, the lone 7.5 copy high grade. Even using these lax standards for high grade, there are no high grade copies of either book on the CBCS census.

GA is tough to collect, and I am happy with my overall midgrade collection; however, some books are more difficult than others. I believe, within reason, the high grade definition can be relaxed for those books that have limited high grade copies. Using this perspective gives you 9 high grade copies of All Select #10, at least 1, and maybe 2, high grade copies of Archie's Girls #40, and, as an outlier, no high grade copies of Marvel Mystery Comics Annual nn since the highest known grade is a lone 6.5 with the rest being 4.5 and below.

I'd only disagree in respect to using the term high grade based solely on the scarcity of a book in higher grades. When claiming a book is high grade there needs to be a commonly recognized baseline marker, say 8.5 and above. Using scarce outliers as exceptions only creates confusion that requires more explanation and defensive posturing. One can always say that a book is the highest grade if that's determined by census numbers.

I suspect this is kind of like the arguments over when the Golden Age ended and the Silver Age began. Everyone has a favorite book to cite and solid reasons for why they think the way they do. Ultimately, there will be a hobby-wide decision but until then, this is my "high-grade" copy of #40.

Post 4155 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I would say that being the highest grade in a specific comic doesn't equate to being high grade. My son is a moron. That makes my daughter the smartest kid in the family. But being the smartest in a population of two doesn't make her a genius.
Post 4156 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
I guess I would say that being the highest grade in a specific comic doesn't equate to being high grade. My son is a moron. That makes my daughter the smartest kid in the family. But being the smartest in a population of two doesn't make her a genius.

It would to your son and to anyone trying to collect specimens of your family that could be called "genius." Unless of course, she is merely precocious then I would grade her, hmm, fine+.
Post 4157 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I suspect this is kind of like the arguments over when the Golden Age ended and the Silver Age began. Everyone has a favorite book to cite and solid reasons for why they think the way they do. Ultimately, there will be a hobby-wide decision but until then, this is my "high-grade" copy of #40.

On a scale of 1-10 I'm thinking we can reach a consensus on the fact that Betty and Veronica rate better than a 7.5!
Post 4158 IP   flag post
Quote:
On a scale of 1-10 I'm thinking we can reach a consensus on the fact that Betty and Veronica rate better than a 7.5!

In your attempt to reach consensus you're avoiding the real debate...Betty or Veronica?
Betty of course.
Post 4159 IP   flag post
For me I'm not terribly grade conscious, I just like owning the historical artifacts. Once they go in a slab you could put them in a museum and couldn't tell a 5.0 from a 9.0 from 6 feet away. Without my glasses I probably couldn't tell a 7.0 from an 8.5 if I held it in my hands. I love my low-grade slabbed EC collection, Someone else on the forum once mentioned that for EC in particular the well-worn look fits the genre. I just think it's cool to own a piece of history that was bought at the drug store for a dime by some kid who is in their 80's or 90's if they are alive at all.
But I could definitely see how some people would really enjoy finding those precious few that for one reason or another got preserved against the ravages of time and still look almost brand new 75 years after they were published. I imagine it's like a life-long treasure hunt.
Post 4160 IP   flag post
Quote:

Post 4161 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

In your attempt to reach consensus you're avoiding the real debate...Betty or Veronica?
Betty of course.

Now this I can agree with!
Post 4162 IP   flag post
My "Jack Armstrong Famous Boy of Radio" #1 I believe was the highest or only graded copy to have White Pages. Unfortunately it was graded by Probably Gone eXtinct. lol.
Post 4163 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4164 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Betty of course.

Actually, "and" is much more adventurous, no debate required.
Post 4165 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just think it's cool to own a piece of history that was bought at the drug store for a dime by some kid who is in their 80's or 90's if they are alive at all.

I'm still alive!

Marty
Post 4166 IP   flag post
Collector SupaCor private msg quote post Address this user
im just gonna hang back here with all my .5's and sub 3.0 GA books 🤪 for me, its scarcity, not grade.
Post 4167 IP   flag post
Collector SupaCor private msg quote post Address this user
green lantern 14 from 1944 the highest graded GA book i have. im only 37, i cant compare to marty or cat 🤷🏼‍♂️

Post 4168 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4169 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Betty of course.

Quoth Betty and veronica, "There's more than one way to skin a cat!"
Post 4170 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaCor
im just gonna hang back here with all my .5's and sub 3.0 GA books 🤪 for me, its scarcity, not grade.
We do not discriminate especially against rare books. If you got pictures, post 'em! They will get some love.
Post 4171 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Betty of course.

Quoth Betty and veronica, "There's more than one way to skin a cat!"

'Tis true...

Post 4172 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4173 IP   flag post

Post 4174 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica cool MLJ
Post 4175 IP   flag post
Collector caranz private msg quote post Address this user
@Sagii Nice Black Hood 18 I don’t see that one too often.
Post 4176 IP   flag post
This one is from the pinnacle hill collection. One of my favorite Feature Comics covers.

Post 4177 IP   flag post
@caranz Thanks! Nice book as well.

Dollman has some of the most underrated covers. If he was 'Dollwoman' (instead of 'man') in those cover predicaments , many those books would be in the stratosphere by now
Post 4178 IP   flag post
@Sagii I agree, the books are very affordable for some reason. I really enjoy Al Bryant’s covers in the run.
Post 4179 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user

I just got this, I can't wait to get this graded.
Post 4180 IP   flag post
611379 5660 30