Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4127 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 4128 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
The "slap" run

Post 4129 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Arrived yesterday.

Nice Ped pickup!

And a damn nice looking 6.0
Post 4130 IP   flag post

mm
Post 4131 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
The "slap" run

Love those very striking covers 👍
Post 4132 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Saw this book in that golden age gerber hard back I think many years ago and had to get a copy.
Post 4133 IP   flag post
Collector caranz private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4134 IP   flag post

mm
Post 4135 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Ugggg...the wait it killing me. My order of 30 GA is out of grading, in production, whatever that means,blah blah...just let me see the word shipped. Lol.
Post 4136 IP   flag post

Post 4137 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

Hi Catman,

I apologize in advance if I’m being rude but are all those books which you post (all amazing) from your personal collection??? I feel that out of all the posters you and @martymann have shown the best books. Congratulations on some amazing books. Still waiting for you to drop a 9.2 Action 1!!!
Post 4138 IP   flag post

Post 4139 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDU
Quote:

Hi Catman,

I apologize in advance if I’m being rude but are all those books which you post (all amazing) from your personal collection??? I feel that out of all the posters you and @martymann have shown the best books. Congratulations on some amazing books. Still waiting for you to drop a 9.2 Action 1!!!

No apology necessary, it's not rude to ask. The short answer is yes.

Marty's books are original owner, purchased by Marty off the newsstand. My collection was acquired more recently. At one point I divested myself of comics, then gradually got back into collecting, first through pulps, then GA. I'm hooked on high grade, which is one reason my collection will always be more modest in size than Marty's. Most of my books are graded & Timely. Currently, this is the only golden age DC book I own...

Post 4140 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@KYDU hopefully the rest of us will post something you find worthy in here. I've seen amazing books in all grades by many posters.
Post 4141 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDU
Quote:

Hi Catman,

No apology necessary, it's not rude to ask. The short answer is yes.

Marty's books are original owner, purchased by Marty off the newsstand. My collection was acquired more recently. At one point I divested myself of comics, then gradually got back into collecting, first through pulps, then GA. I'm hooked on high grade, which is one reason my collection will always be more modest in size than Marty's. Most of my books are graded & Timely. Currently, this is the only golden age DC book I own...

That’s amazing. I’m well aware your books posted are mostly high grade. You have the right approach. I knew that Marty had bought most of his books when they were published, extra amazing. Myself my personal collection is limited to a 100 books so while I buy and sell I try to have only a select 100 which hopefully I will always be upgrading in quality. Of course there are books I bought as a kid or had signed personally so the value is not always financial!
Post 4142 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
At one point I divested myself of comics, then gradually got back into collecting, first through pulps, then GA. I'm hooked on high grade, which is one reason my collection will always be more modest in size than Marty's.

@CatmanAmerica Do you have an idea what motivates you to pursue High Grade over a more broad collection? Is it possibly because it extends the journey of searching for them?
Post 4143 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica what do you consider high grade in GA? I know we all have different interpretations. I have heard some in industry think 7.5 in GA is considered high grade.
Post 4144 IP   flag post
@KYDU & @CatmanAmerica thank you both for your very kind mentions.
The majority of my collection runs between 3.0 to 6.0 with a few
7.0s and 7.5s...but after all the years of moving them about I'm
always surprised they held up as good as they did.

mm
Post 4145 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Currently, this is the only golden age DC book I own...

What a book though, man! Seriously, I mainly collect Timely, Barks, and the occasional GGA but I'd happily make room for this in my collection.
Post 4146 IP   flag post
@martymann Saw that Spirit book in your Park Avenue Collection thread. Such an awesome and rare book.
Post 4147 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
At one point I divested myself of comics, then gradually got back into collecting, first through pulps, then GA. I'm hooked on high grade, which is one reason my collection will always be more modest in size than Marty's.

@CatmanAmerica Do you have an idea what motivates you to pursue High Grade over a more broad collection? Is it possibly because it extends the journey of searching for them?

What has always motivated me is grade (condition), even when I collected as a kid. The journey would be long regardless, but I've also made a conscious decision to keep my collection manageable size-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@CatmanAmerica what do you consider high grade in GA? I know we all have different interpretations. I have heard some in industry think 7.5 in GA is considered high grade.

Generally, the rule of thumb is 8.5 and above is high grade. Although I've often teased the observation that in the grading community 8.5 is usually just a 9.0 in training.
Post 4148 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica I try to stay a minimum of 8.5, and any book I have below that is often rare even if the grade is a little below that. I used the same mindset to keep collction of graded books manageable. Honestly, even my graded collection has grown in recent years. Its hard to believe how many slabs I have now. Thinking of selling any GA below 9.2 to thin the herd a bit.
Post 4149 IP   flag post
I'm going to butt in and give my hugely less than adequate opinion, in comparison to Cat's and Earthshaker's, that many times high grade, when talking about GA, is relative to the book in question. For instance, there are (3) 9.4s and (1) 9.6 All Select Comics #10 on the CGC census. There are another 5 copies in 8.5 to 9.2. For a GA issue, that is a pretty healthy population and I would say that 8.5 and higher would be considered high grade, in this case.

Then you have a book like Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #40 where there are no books graded higher than 8.0 yet there are 25% more graded copies, overall, than All Select #10. For a book like this I would say the single 8.0 is high grade and is in fact the highest grade currently known. I would even be willing to call, with slight hesitation, the lone 7.5 copy high grade. Even using these lax standards for high grade, there are no high grade copies of either book on the CBCS census.

GA is tough to collect, and I am happy with my overall midgrade collection; however, some books are more difficult than others. I believe, within reason, the high grade definition can be relaxed for those books that have limited high grade copies. Using this perspective gives you 9 high grade copies of All Select #10, at least 1, and maybe 2, high grade copies of Archie's Girls #40, and, as an outlier, no high grade copies of Marvel Mystery Comics Annual nn since the highest known grade is a lone 6.5 with the rest being 4.5 and below.
Post 4150 IP   flag post
Here's a 7.5 that survived over the years.

mm
Post 4151 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
@KYDU & @CatmanAmerica thank you both for your very kind mentions.
The majority of my collection runs between 3.0 to 6.0 with a few
7.0s and 7.5s...but after all the years of moving them about I'm
always surprised they held up as good as they did.

mm

I’m sure you also read them many times over, the graders are not as strict on Golden age I would say. In any case great that you have them and thank you for showing them.
Post 4152 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@KYDU hopefully the rest of us will post something you find worthy in here. I've seen amazing books in all grades by many posters.

Don’t get the wrong idea. I think all the books here are amazing. Just pointed those two out for being very active. I’m sure there are people on here who never post with collections that make us sit down to breathe. I’ll keep an eye out for your posts.
Post 4153 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm going to butt in and give my hugely less than adequate opinion, in comparison to Cat's and Earthshaker's, that many times high grade, when talking about GA, is relative to the book in question. For instance, there are (3) 9.4s and (1) 9.6 All Select Comics #10 on the CGC census. There are another 5 copies in 8.5 to 9.2. For a GA issue, that is a pretty healthy population and I would say that 8.5 and higher would be considered high grade, in this case.

Then you have a book like Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #40 where there are no books graded higher than 8.0 yet there are 25% more graded copies, overall, than All Select #10. For a book like this I would say the single 8.0 is high grade and is in fact the highest grade currently known. I would even be willing to call, with slight hesitation, the lone 7.5 copy high grade. Even using these lax standards for high grade, there are no high grade copies of either book on the CBCS census.

GA is tough to collect, and I am happy with my overall midgrade collection; however, some books are more difficult than others. I believe, within reason, the high grade definition can be relaxed for those books that have limited high grade copies. Using this perspective gives you 9 high grade copies of All Select #10, at least 1, and maybe 2, high grade copies of Archie's Girls #40, and, as an outlier, no high grade copies of Marvel Mystery Comics Annual nn since the highest known grade is a lone 6.5 with the rest being 4.5 and below.

I'd only disagree in respect to using the term high grade based solely on the scarcity of a book in higher grades. When claiming a book is high grade there needs to be a commonly recognized baseline marker, say 8.5 and above. Using scarce outliers as exceptions only creates confusion that requires more explanation and defensive posturing. One can always say that a book is the highest grade if that's determined by census numbers.

For instance, last time I checked, this was the highest graded copy...

...but it still isn't a high grade, it's a high mid-grade copy.
Post 4154 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I'd only disagree in respect to using the term high grade based solely on the scarcity of a book in higher grades. When claiming a book is high grade there needs to be a commonly recognized baseline marker, say 8.5 and above. Using scarce outliers as exceptions only creates confusion that requires more explanation and defensive posturing. One can always say that a book is the highest grade if that's determined by census numbers.

For instance, last time I checked, this was the highest graded copy...

...but it still isn't a high grade, it's a high mid-grade copy.
I suspect this is kind of like the arguments over when the Golden Age ended and the Silver Age began. Everyone has a favorite book to cite and solid reasons for why they think the way they do. Ultimately, there will be a hobby-wide decision but until then, this is my "high-grade" copy of #40.

Post 4155 IP   flag post
619257 5695 30