Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

Nice book! While my feelings about this cover have been posted I'll say it again, it needs more Blazing Skull to be perfect

Thanks. Alex Schomburg is one of my favorite GA artists.

I like the idea of your variant mock-up. Blazing Skull would’ve been an excellent alternative to the Black Marvel.

My criticism isn’t with the Blazing Skull as the featured hero, ...it’s with Schomburg’s execution of this particular composition. I just wish Alex had taken a bit more time on this cover. It’s far below his usual standard of work.

More specifically, looking at this strictly from an artist’s perspective, the stiff flat pose of the featured hero comes across as awkwardly clunky. So, regardless of which character was featured, without an overhaul of the artist’s layout it wouldn’t improve the cover’s dynamics.
Post 3851 IP   flag post
Here's a Schomburg war cover better demonstrating his composition skill...

Post 3852 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
1948 #1 Annke Oakley in really nice shape

Post 3853 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
How about a minty fresh Blackhawk #9(#1). I can't even remember when or where I picked this up.

Post 3854 IP   flag post
Always liked this cover. This is a tough book to get. I found two from same guy who lived in England. As a kid living here he collected comics, hauled them all across the pond. They both came back as 8.5 and 8.0 highest graded, but thats long before I learned to press books. Might be a 9.2 in one of them one day.

Post 3855 IP   flag post

Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceDog
Quote:

Nice book! While my feelings about this cover have been posted I'll say it again, it needs more Blazing Skull to be perfect

Thanks. Alex Schomburg is one of my favorite GA artists.

I like the idea of your variant mock-up. Blazing Skull would’ve been an excellent alternative to the Black Marvel.

My criticism isn’t with the Blazing Skull as the featured hero, ...it’s with Schomburg’s execution of this particular composition. I just wish Alex had taken a bit more time on this cover. It’s far below his usual standard of work.

More specifically, looking at this strictly from an artist’s perspective, the stiff flat pose of the featured hero comes across as awkwardly clunky. So, regardless of which character was featured, without an overhaul of the artist’s layout it wouldn’t improve the cover’s dynamics.

It really is awkward. I honestly keep forgetting it was a Schomburg cover, which does go to show just how much it differed from his other work. For some reason my memory had it as being Allen Bellman art, damn brain ain't what it used to be
Post 3856 IP   flag post
This is one of the more underrated Schomburg covers of the era, mainly because it features a whole bunch of second string heroes, but it’s very well rendered and the vignettes presented in a unique manner from other Timely titles...

Post 3857 IP   flag post
The follow-up, with a kick-arse Jack Kirby cover, thunders as well...

Post 3858 IP   flag post
Collector CrocHntr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Love this one! Cat, I think this might be one that lived in my collection for a time. All the color breaks/scuffs seem to line up to my old scan back from 2012. It was one of the first big GA comics I purchased when I got back into collecting. Personally, I've always liked this one as much (or more) than the 74 which may sound odd.

Great book!
Post 3859 IP   flag post
Collector CrocHntr private msg quote post Address this user
And, while looking for the CA 73 scan, I found another purchase early in my GA collecting focus. I think this one is still highest graded and 1st appearance of Minute-Man.

Post 3860 IP   flag post
Indisputable classic WWII cover (Mystic Comics #2, Vol. 2) by Syd Shores...

Post 3861 IP   flag post

Post 3862 IP   flag post
Collector KomicKazi private msg quote post Address this user
Contos de Terror #9

Artist: Jayme Cortez

Published by La Selva, Brazil 1954

Post 3863 IP   flag post
Contos de Terror #4

Artist: Jayme Cortez

Post 3864 IP   flag post
Supernatural #14

Jayme Cortez

Post 3865 IP   flag post
Collector scottde64 private msg quote post Address this user
Just picked up this bad boy last week. I think I’m done for this year.
Post 3866 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@scottde64 Incredible book!! Congrats!!!
Post 3867 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@scottde64 Very nice!!!
Post 3868 IP   flag post

Post 3869 IP   flag post
Collector scottde64 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Great book. I seriously had my eye on a copy of #10 till that #1 came available. Didn’t have a Nazi based cover yet and in the scheme of things #10 was far more affordable than #1. Maybe someday.

Scott
Post 3870 IP   flag post
@scottde64 All Winners and All Select are both killer titles. The cover of All Select #1 is a Schomburg classic. Congratulations!
Post 3871 IP   flag post

Post 3872 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
One of those covers that made you buy the book.

mm
Post 3873 IP   flag post
@martymann Happy B-Day, Marty!
Post 3874 IP   flag post
These go together well. She just can't seem to keep out of trouble with these guys...

It's a good thing the HUMAN TORCH always seems to be nearby when she needs help!

Post 3875 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann - Happy birthday, Marty. Hope you get a nice present or two!
Post 3876 IP   flag post
Quote:
@martymann Happy B-Day, Marty!

THANK YOU!
Post 3877 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@martymann - Happy birthday, Marty. Hope you get a nice present or two!

THANK YOU!
Post 3878 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
I kind of stumbled across this one... WW2 Victory Garden... A 1943 book in darn good condition with some Nostalgia from a By-gone era.. I remember my parents talking about these.. At 72 I'm not quite old enough to remember them but according to them everybody that had room had one..

Post 3879 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
I kind of stumbled across this one... WW2 Victory Garden... A 1943 book in darn good condition with some Nostalgia from a By-gone era.. I remember my parents talking about these.. At 72 I'm not quite old enough to remember them but according to them everybody that had room had one..

Alas, a little before my time as well. From what I recall of discussions about Victory Gardens, the intent had both practical and symbolic aspects. On the practical side, the more commodities folks could produce at home the less strain it placed on the farming industry which was had to supply ample nutrition for both our military abroad and folks back home.

Victory Gardens also provided a supplement to rationing. Rationing goods is something folks adjusted to in WWII, but less remembered today. Just about everything was rationed. Tires, vegetables and dairy products, paper, staples, clothing materials, you name it. Ration books were used to keep track of purchases at point of sale and there were serious penalties for those who violated the ration guidelines.

Symbolically, Victory Gardens demonstrated home front support and involvement in the war effort as it encouraged personal sacrifice of time and labor to maintain a garden of consumables. Of course the ultimate goal of the Victory Garden was planting Mussolini and Hitler at the earliest opportunity to fertilize the growth of liberty.

Looks like I need to ration the caffeine a bit more.
Post 3880 IP   flag post
619262 5695 30