Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
This is a very rare NM 1950 insert for Life Magazine. This came directly from Malcolm Ater Jr., the son of the now passed owner of Commercial Comics. It was a copy in his father's filing cabinet.
It is the size of a regular comic when in its folded state as seen in pic. Then unfolds to about the size of the old Life Magazine. I bought a copy of the Life magazine it would have been inserted in fore the week of September 25, 1950 so I could reunite them.

Post 3826 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3827 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
1954 NM giveaway comic.

Post 3828 IP   flag post

Post 3829 IP   flag post
Frogman Comics #1

Post 3830 IP   flag post

Post 3831 IP   flag post

Post 3832 IP   flag post

Post 3833 IP   flag post

Post 3834 IP   flag post

Post 3835 IP   flag post

Post 3836 IP   flag post

Post 3837 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01

A 9.8 from 1945. Unbelievable, how does that even happen? It's a file copy so I guess it got filed away and wasn't touched again for decades?
Post 3838 IP   flag post

Post 3839 IP   flag post
A 9.8 usually doesn't happen on it's own. A file copy yes, but even a file copy will have some kind of bend, even right after printing, especially when you consider the lower quality printing of the era. To reach these grades I press and clean all my own books. It's fun to play around with old comics and see what I can squeeze out of them. It think the best was cracking a graded 8.5 out, and getting a 9.6 back. Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01

A 9.8 from 1945. Unbelievable, how does that even happen? It's a file copy so I guess it got filed away and wasn't touched again for decades?
Post 3840 IP   flag post

Post 3841 IP   flag post

Post 3842 IP   flag post

Post 3843 IP   flag post
1945 Treasure Comics #1.

Post 3844 IP   flag post

Post 3845 IP   flag post
Starting to see Dell four colors prices tick up as long as they are in 9.4 or higher. A 9.4 sold last night of this four color #446 for 780.00. Not sure what that makes my 9.6 worth, maybe my retirement will come earlier than I hoped, lol.

Post 3846 IP   flag post

Post 3847 IP   flag post

Post 3848 IP   flag post

Post 3849 IP   flag post
Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

Nice book! While my feelings about this cover have been posted I'll say it again, it needs more Blazing Skull to be perfect
Post 3850 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

Nice book! While my feelings about this cover have been posted I'll say it again, it needs more Blazing Skull to be perfect

Thanks. Alex Schomburg is one of my favorite GA artists.

I like the idea of your variant mock-up. Blazing Skull would’ve been an excellent alternative to the Black Marvel.

My criticism isn’t with the Blazing Skull as the featured hero, ...it’s with Schomburg’s execution of this particular composition. I just wish Alex had taken a bit more time on this cover. It’s far below his usual standard of work.

More specifically, looking at this strictly from an artist’s perspective, the stiff flat pose of the featured hero comes across as awkwardly clunky. So, regardless of which character was featured, without an overhaul of the artist’s layout it wouldn’t improve the cover’s dynamics.
Post 3851 IP   flag post
Here's a Schomburg war cover better demonstrating his composition skill...

Post 3852 IP   flag post
1948 #1 Annke Oakley in really nice shape

Post 3853 IP   flag post
How about a minty fresh Blackhawk #9(#1). I can't even remember when or where I picked this up.

Post 3854 IP   flag post
Always liked this cover. This is a tough book to get. I found two from same guy who lived in England. As a kid living here he collected comics, hauled them all across the pond. They both came back as 8.5 and 8.0 highest graded, but thats long before I learned to press books. Might be a 9.2 in one of them one day.

Post 3855 IP   flag post
611406 5660 30