Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceDog
CBCS order finally came in, and here is one golden age experiment I was trying with them: Startling Comics #10, first appearance of Fighting Yank - but it was a coverless copy that I added my own reproduction cover to (the reproduction covers you can find online are trash, sheesh!).

Pretty much the most affordable way to buy and display such an old key book, and it's nice to have an actual grade on it as opposed to 'No Grade' as CGC would have designated it. Cover attachment was done with a very small amount of archival safe tape (no damaging adhesive or plastic) which means I can remove and reverse this anytime without issue (the advantage of having explored restoration and conservation techniques as a hobby over the last decade).

Nice to know.... if I may ask a couple questions..... Did you print the cover....If so did you use 11x17 paper..... What kind of paper did you use... semi gloss.. matte..??... soft ware ?? photoshop ??

Thanks
Post 3801 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3802 IP   flag post

Post 3803 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 3804 IP   flag post

Post 3805 IP   flag post

Post 3806 IP   flag post

Post 3807 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I'm trying to rationalize this as fairly low risk/high potential reward speculation. But it could also be a mid-life crises or just envy at not being in the Hulk 181/GSX 1 club. Either way, I'm enjoying the idea of being in a club that has Certified global membership of less than 150:

Post 3808 IP   flag post
The last Stormy Foster HIT Comics cover (Reed Crandall)...

Post 3809 IP   flag post
Second Kid Eternity cover (Ruben Moreira)...

Post 3810 IP   flag post
Now that I've made the plunge and bought a couple of Golden Age slabs I think I understand the idea of Gold Fever better. I'm scrolling through the ending soon Ebay auctions and the silver and bronze age stuff that used to catch my attention doesn't anymore. But the Golden Age EC books catch my eye every single time.
Post 3811 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3812 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3813 IP   flag post

Post 3814 IP   flag post

OO

mm
Post 3815 IP   flag post

Post 3816 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

OO

mm

Ah @martymann, You're killing me. First the All-Star 32, now this Marvel Family #1. You know how to push my buttons! I think you said you were giving the All-Star 32 to your son for Christmas last year? If either of these are going to be for sale, please keep me in the loop. Many nights I've come close to pulling the trigger on a restored copy of Marvel Family #1 but I keep stopping short, like a kid climbing back down off the high-dive, lol.
Post 3817 IP   flag post
Thank you @EbaySeller ...when the time comes to put some out
there I'll be sure to let you know.

Marty
Post 3818 IP   flag post

OO

mm
Post 3819 IP   flag post
Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceDog
CBCS order finally came in, and here is one golden age experiment I was trying with them: Startling Comics #10, first appearance of Fighting Yank - but it was a coverless copy that I added my own reproduction cover to (the reproduction covers you can find online are trash, sheesh!).

Pretty much the most affordable way to buy and display such an old key book, and it's nice to have an actual grade on it as opposed to 'No Grade' as CGC would have designated it. Cover attachment was done with a very small amount of archival safe tape (no damaging adhesive or plastic) which means I can remove and reverse this anytime without issue (the advantage of having explored restoration and conservation techniques as a hobby over the last decade).

Nice to know.... if I may ask a couple questions..... Did you print the cover....If so did you use 11x17 paper..... What kind of paper did you use... semi gloss.. matte..??... soft ware ?? photoshop ??

Thanks

This cover was professionally printed at a shop - I do not do inkjet prints at home due to quality issues. This was technically the 'cheapest' cover I've done as it was just taking several archive scans and correcting them in photoshop (color correcting, removing faults etc..)and then doing a digital print (not a press run as I prefer, but I wanted to keep costs on this issue low. For other issues I would recolour the entire cover to match golden age swatches and printing standards of the time before doing color separations)

It was a 11x17 sized 70lbs stock, semi-gloss (I can't remember the exact gloss level - I selected the final prints from about half dozen proofs in person at the shop when we did the initial test run).

You can see some of the shots of this cover before cutting/grading on this post https://www.instagram.com/p/B59PLaZAvm7/
Post 3820 IP   flag post
Bill Everett...

Post 3821 IP   flag post

Post 3822 IP   flag post

mm
Post 3823 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

mm

just a classic EC cover thanks for sharing
Post 3824 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by docstrange

just a classic EC cover thanks for sharing

My pleasure!

mm
Post 3825 IP   flag post
This is a very rare NM 1950 insert for Life Magazine. This came directly from Malcolm Ater Jr., the son of the now passed owner of Commercial Comics. It was a copy in his father's filing cabinet.
It is the size of a regular comic when in its folded state as seen in pic. Then unfolds to about the size of the old Life Magazine. I bought a copy of the Life magazine it would have been inserted in fore the week of September 25, 1950 so I could reunite them.

Post 3826 IP   flag post

Post 3827 IP   flag post
1954 NM giveaway comic.

Post 3828 IP   flag post

Post 3829 IP   flag post
Frogman Comics #1

Post 3830 IP   flag post
611380 5660 30