Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3676 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
@earthshaker01 Thank you! love the golden age!

@Johnnylray Going through this thread I was comparing the classic Golden Age covers to the Modern Age covers that are considered classic or iconic. In the Golden Age the great covers were intriguing depictions of the story inside. An image that conveyed the plot and made you want to read the story inside. In Modern comics the most iconic covers are about drawing the character in an artistic and interesting pose, nothing about the story inside. Kind of a shift from "interesting I want to read it" to "cool, I want to hang it on my wall". I don't know why collector preferences changed like this, I'm thinking maybe it has to do with slabbing, where a comic morphs from something you read to something you just display?
Could also be that the in the Golden Age the artists role was to represent the writer and the story, maybe in Modern books the artist job is to represent himself and use the cover to showcase his abilities.
Post 3677 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
@earthshaker01 Thank you! love the golden age!

@Johnnylray Going through this thread I was comparing the classic Golden Age covers to the Modern Age covers that are considered classic or iconic. In the Golden Age the great covers were intriguing depictions of the story inside. An image that conveyed the plot and made you want to read the story inside. In Modern comics the most iconic covers are about drawing the character in an artistic and interesting pose, nothing about the story inside. Kind of a shift from "interesting I want to read it" to "cool, I want to hang it on my wall". I don't know why collector preferences changed like this, I'm thinking maybe it has to do with slabbing, where a comic morphs from something you read to something you just display?
Could also be that the in the Golden Age the artists role was to represent the writer and the story, maybe in Modern books the artist job is to represent himself and use the cover to showcase his abilities.

Excellent discussion points!

In spite of all the historical information available about the GA, there is still a world of speculation and discoveries to be made from a wide range of sources.

From what I've been able to glean through research over the years there wasn't a consistent system for GA art production. There was a lot of variety and levels of expertise in art (less in story content), but it was an assembly line process and production schedules ruled. Every publisher had their own house style and expectations, the priority being speed. Most GA cover art emphasized middle-ground action. Close-ups of featured characters on GA covers were rare.

The requirements for churning out art for GA comics on a regular schedule was grueling for both in-house art departments and out-sourced packaging shops. The pay for art was minimal and conditions were demanding. A lot of cover art was assigned with artists having little knowledge of story scripting beyond a proposed concept and the featured character(s) design. In one instance, a new featured character's hair changed color on three consecutive covers (from black to blonde, then red (Holy Dye-job, Batman! ...that character was actually The Web on Zip Comics #27, 28 & 29). It's just how crazy things were under tight deadlines.

I'd recommend reading some highly entertaining and informative books about the era such as Joe Simon's My Life In Comics or the classic All In Color for A Dime edited by Dick Lupoff and Don Thompson. For an overview of the variety of superhero books with details about how characters evolved, the artists, publishers and house styles I'd suggest Jim Steranko's History of The Comics Vol. 1 & 2. Awhile back there was a book recommendation thread, but that thread may have scrolled into the forum archive abyss by now.
Post 3678 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller Fantastic observation and post! Glad you posted that. I fully agree with your post too. Ray
Post 3679 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
@michaelekrupp So freaking cool my friend! Enjoy seeing it!

Here’s another that I think you will like: the first Dell Bugs Bunny file volume! It includes issues 28-39. (The first 27 issues of Bugs were issued under the Dell Four Color series, so they would be found in the Four Color file sets.)

I also recently picked up a file volume containing the first four Bugs Bunny Halloween Fun Dell giants. Since that book contains comics that fall into both the golden and silver age periods I will post it on the “New To Your Collection” thread. See you there!
Post 3680 IP   flag post

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp nice volumes. I have the first four and only known volumes, of four color 1-12, 13-24, 25-36, and 37-48.

Post 3681 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01 Sweet!🤩🤩🤩🤩
Post 3682 IP   flag post

Post 3683 IP   flag post

Post 3684 IP   flag post
Collector ComicConnoisseur private msg quote post Address this user
Great book Catman!
Post 3685 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I look at all these terrific CATMAN COMICS and realize I
never saw one on the newsstand...if I had I'm sure I would
have bought some.

Marty
Post 3686 IP   flag post

Post 3687 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
@michaelekrupp So freaking cool my friend! Enjoy seeing it!

Here’s another that I think you will like: the first Dell Bugs Bunny file volume! It includes issues 28-39. (The first 27 issues of Bugs were issued under the Dell Four Color series, so they would be found in the Four Color file sets.)

I also recently picked up a file volume containing the first four Bugs Bunny Halloween Fun Dell giants. Since that book contains comics that fall into both the golden and silver age periods I will post it on the “New To Your Collection” thread. See you there!
Sorry for the late response, i'm off furlough as of this week and have been busy getting back in the swing of work
These are INCREDIBLE!! Wow, again really appreciate seeing these. Considering their status as enduring pop culture icons (just look at all the headlines Elmer made because he no longer will carry firearms) the Looney Tunes comics are underappreciated.
Post 3688 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@michaelekrupp nice volumes. I have the first four and only known volumes, of four color 1-12, 13-24, 25-36, and 37-48.

VERY impressive sir
Post 3689 IP   flag post
Group of sexy GA books (and one SA) with me at SDCC a couple of years ago.

Observed with an iPad in a gratuitous pose, spread out on a ruffled bedsheet...

Four Alex Schomburg covers
Four George Rozen covers
Two Syd Shores covers
One Lou Fine cover
One Steve Ditko cover
One Charles Nicholas cover
One Lee Elias cover
Post 3690 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica That looks like a lot of fun. I suspect I would really enjoy being your sidekick at a Con as you hunt down and negotiate for your Golden Age treasures.
Post 3691 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
@CatmanAmerica That looks like a lot of fun. I suspect I would really enjoy being your sidekick at a Con as you hunt down and negotiate for your Golden Age treasures.

I’ve always had a secret yearning to enlist a sidekick named Kitten, but my wife just gives me a sideways glance whenever I get that dreamy look in my eyes...

Post 3692 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3693 IP   flag post
Collector circumstances private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Group of sexy GA books (and one SA) with me at SDCC a couple of years ago.

Observed with an iPad in a gratuitous pose, spread out on a ruffled bedsheet...

Four Alex Schomburg covers
Four George Rozen covers
Two Syd Shores covers
One Lou Fine cover
One Steve Ditko cover
One Charles Nicholas cover
One Lee Elias cover

Saucy!
Post 3694 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
My sexy ComicConnect purchase!

Post 3695 IP   flag post
Collector circumstances private msg quote post Address this user
Happy 80th birthday to Green Lantern! My All American Comics #16, July, 1940, his first appearance. Cross-posted from the #1's thread.

Post 3696 IP   flag post
I re-scanned a pile of books today. The original scans were too dark on these new thicker slabs

Post 3697 IP   flag post

Post 3698 IP   flag post

Post 3699 IP   flag post

Post 3700 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3701 IP   flag post

Post 3702 IP   flag post

Post 3703 IP   flag post

Post 3704 IP   flag post

Post 3705 IP   flag post
611409 5660 30