Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

How to add new signatures on a graded book?18990

Collector chirock private msg quote post Address this user
I have a slabbed book signed by the writer. Is there a process to crack the slab and get it signed by the artist at a convention at a later date and get it graded so it retains the writer and artist witnesses signature status? Thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
@chirock yes just make sure the grading company is at the show you attend or an authorized third party (for them) and they have to crack it-
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector schmoff private msg quote post Address this user
if it is a cbcs signing event yes, if not, no
Post 3 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
You’d need to remove from slab. Then regrade with a witness of new signs and pay to reauthunticate first. No way to prove the gold label was for that comic
Post 4 IP   flag post
@chirock also if they offer an in house signing you can send the slab in and they will add the signature for you at that signing in house-

Last I saw CBCS many are done in PA-

CGC mostly at their headquarters in Sarasota FL-

There are also many LCS and dealers that offer sending to them direct (events for signings)- just make sure they are reputable and have a good track history (in business a fair amount of time)
Post 5 IP   flag post
@chirock also… CBCS will honor CGC witnessed yellow label. But CGC will not honor CBCS yellow label.

So a CGC yellow witnessed can go to a CBCS yellow witnessed (plus add new signatures if desired)-

But CBCS cannot go to a CGC yellow (it will get GREEN QUALIFIED label).
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@chirock Yes, there is a way to add a new witnessed signature to an already slabbed witness book and still maintain both witnessed signature status.

What convention will you be at?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I send slabbed books in for signatures all the time. I'm sure there's a way to get this done at a convention, too, even if it's just to crack the slab in front of the witness.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
I just did this last year.

If its a CGC book, first you must verify that CGC is at the convention also. If they are, you need to bring the book STILL in the slab to the CGC table and tell them you want to crack the slab (they will do it for a small fee of about $10-$20), then they will walk with you to the artist's table to witness the autograph and remarque. They will then walk back to their CGC table and you pay them to submit the book back to CGC for Signature Series label AND re-grading.

If its a CBCS book, (same as above). First you must verify that CBCS is at the convention also. If they are, you need to bring the book STILL in the slab to the CBCS table and tell them you want to crack the slab (they will do it for a small fee of about $10-$20), then they will walk with you to the artist's table to witness the autograph and remarque. They will then walk back to their CBCS table and you pay them to submit the book back to CBCS for Signature Series label AND re-grading.

(note: CGC wont keep the authentication on a CBCS book.)

Edit! Cbcs WILL take a CGC Sig. Series slab and crack it at their table. AND they WILL honor the original authentication. (Thx Jessie)

If your book is CGC and there is no CGC reps at the convention, you are out of luck. Either wait and try again at another con, or hope that CGC offers a private signing event, and send the book in for that.

Same thing with CBCS. If your book is CBCS and there is no CBCS reps at the convention, you are out of luck. Either wait and try again at another con, or hope that CBCS offers a private signing event, and send the book in for that.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
... CBCS wont keep the authentication on a CGC book.

This is no longer true. CBCS will honor CGC Signature Series slabs.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

I had no idea!
Post 11 IP   flag post
@multi007 yes I have a Wolverine 1 and 2 signed Frank Miller CGC slab and I added Rubenstein just last year and CBCS honored the Frank Miller witnessed signature!!

CBCS absolutely will honor a CGC yellow label witnessed signature-

However CGC still will not honor CBCS yellow label- and doubtful ever will-

ALSO $10-20 seems very high for cracking a slab- if you do 3rd party for CGC it’s very minimal maybe $5 or so if at all- last Clayton Crain road tour they cracked mine for ZERO charge!!- so it’s all who you use- if CGC/CBCS is charging that much I would definitely look to see if there is a 3rd party authorized witness for them in attendance (almost all cons especially big cities will have someone in attendance that can do this)-
Post 12 IP   flag post
@radd76 thanks. Side note. I paid $10 to crack the slab.
Post 13 IP   flag post
598094 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?