Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The Joker Is Pregnant in New Comic, And Fans Are Really Angry18974

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
The Joker Is Pregnant in New Comic, And Fans Are Really Angry
byHannah Lieberum
January 9, 2023

DC recently developed a comic series around the Joker titled The Man Who Stopped Laughing. The series features several different storylines, some of which are not technically canon, and a few beloved characters, including the Red Hood. In the most recent comic book issue, fans saw the Joker pregnant thanks to some unpredictable magic from Zatanna. While most saw the moment for what it was and were able to laugh at it, others reacted poorly and took to Twitter to show their discontentment.

What Happens in The Man Who Stopped Laughing #4?
This issue was written by Matthew Rosenberg and drawn by Carmine Di Giandomenico and followed Joker on his quest to attain an heir, specifically, one made from his own DNA (it seems he has learned from his mistakes with Tim Drake).

While attempting to steal Gotham’s water supply, the Joker encounters Zatanna. Seeing the opportunity for an incredibly powerful offspring, he starts flirting with the magical superheroine.

Disgusted by this and understandably wanting nothing to do with the Joker (because nothing plays out well for those who get involved with the Clown Prince of Darkness), she casts a spell intended to prevent anyone from bearing his children.

Unfortunately, the spell backfires, and with the words, “On eno esle lliw reve evah rouy ybab!” (No one else will ever have your baby), the Joker is accidentally impregnated without any outside help.

In the comic book, Joker finds himself nine months pregnant the following day. After getting checked out gynecologically by Atomic Skull (it’s a good thing that so many of Gotham’s villains are doctors), he eventually vomits a formless sentient glob.

It is not quite the result Zatanna was hoping for and definitely not something Batman will be too pleased about when he meets the miniature Joker.

It’s an entertaining short story about magic gone wrong and what can happen if Zatanna is not specific enough with her spells, but a few didn’t see the story’s humor.

Complaints of Disgruntled Fans
After reading the comic, those angered by Joker’s pregnancy took to Twitter to complain. They began accusing DC of pushing LGBT+-friendly narratives onto their fanbase, first with the decision to make characters like Tim Drake (Red Robin) and Conner Kent (Superboy) bisexual in some of their more recent comics.

None of the characters involved in the pregnancy ever bring up the word “trans”, mainly because the pregnancy and birth result from magic gone very wrong. Still, fans have seemingly forgotten that aspect (and the fact that the Joker’s method of giving birth isn’t quite anatomically correct).
Post 1 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
No comment. 😒
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ERB_in_CLT private msg quote post Address this user
“Everyone must be aggrieved” TM
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Which hole is the lil tike gonna come out of?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
The only response I have is like with anything else in a capitalistic society - if you don't like it; don't want to read it; don't agree with it; hate it; angered by it - don't buy it.

If you like it, want to read it, love it; intrigued by it - Buy it.

In the end the $$$ will tell the story - like it or not.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Which hole is the lil tike gonna come out of?

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
GO WOKE GO BROKE. I won't be buying that comic book.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have a problem with a little off-colour humour, but I do think it gets a bit tiresome when said humour is judged as having some sort of ulterior motive on those rare occasions when the butt of the joke is a man instead of a woman. Get a grip, folks.

Personally, I just find this to be the ultimate proof of the Joker's insanity, because what other man would allow a dude with his skull on fire to gaze upon his precious man-parts at such close range?

PS: It's good the... offspring exited via the oral cavity, because the Joker wasn't using the stirrups correctly and would have had a helluva time if the other option had been used...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Reminds me when Mork had Merth.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Now that I think about it, I do have one thing to say........

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
Reminds me when Mork had Merth.

Good lord, I'd forgotten about that. A perfect example of a show that should have ended sooner, and not because screenwriters were making social commentary that some people didn't want to hear, but because it was dreadful.
Post 11 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
So are the angry fans furious with Zatanna? I'm confused...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector ERB_in_CLT private msg quote post Address this user
Edit…

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse
So are the angry fans furious?

Yes.

Always.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I think comic book fans are just getting tired of the stupid storylines. Men getting pregnant in the make-believe realm of fantasy books, TV and movies have been done over and over again. Despite how badly a man wants to be pregnant and have a baby, it just is not biologically impossible. Men don't produce the appropriate hormones. Men don't have ovaries and thus don't produce eggs. Men don't have wombs. It's just that simple.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
it just is not biologically impossible

@OGJackster - sooooo, it is possible?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I just realised... Doctor Phosphorus has joined the very exclusive ranks of those few who know whether the carpet matches the drapes...
Post 16 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I just realised... Doctor Phosphorus has joined the very exclusive ranks of those few who know whether the carpet matches the drapes...
@Byrdibyrd
Post 17 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@Byrdibyrd

@Byrdibyrd lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🍻
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd - I just noticed your new moniker!!! 'Where's his Bat-Package' and your 'carpet / drapes' of the Joker comment seem oddly apropos.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
New Formula: 10 people commenting on twitter= Press Release= Material for bloggers=Instant controversy and collectible comic. Anymore it's almost like everyone is working together on the same team. Back in the day no one said shit when the Batmobile lost its wheels and Robin laid an egg. No twitter, no blog, no press release...nothin.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia
You've discovered the magic formula for the pseudo-controversy generator. As a side effect of generating a pseudo-controversy, a comic becomes collectible. I guess I need a copy of this book now before I succumb to a debilitating bout of FOMO.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd

Alpha Flight 106

On the FOMO front, not an issue for me as I am not collecting new stuff anymore unless the cover really sings to me as a gotta have it piece of art like the Yoon or Williams Variant Silver Surfer Black #1 variants.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Scifinator
I'm not getting the new stuff either. Once in a while I'll grab something that looks interesting if I happen to be in my LCS and something catches my eye, but that's about it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t see the controversy. Magic = anything is possible.

Tempest in a teapot.

Even the tempest part is likely exaggerated.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I remember reading this front-page headline article in 2008 in the local giveaway newspaper. As you read, it becomes clear that the entire article was built around a single quoted internet comment:

https://www.ocweekly.com/why-do-people-have-a-problem-with-oc-raised-usc-qb-mark-sanchez-being-proud-of-his-mexican-heritage-6400492/
Post 25 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia
If I were to run around with a ballcap that has the Norwegian flag and a T-shirt with the Danish flag (ancestry of Mom & Dad, respectively), no one would really care. I might even get a thumbs-up if I were to add 'VIKING POWER' to the T-shirt. No reason whatsoever why we can't all be proud of our ancestry.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd

Post 27 IP   flag post
The back of my 'Viking World Tour' T-shirt:

Post 28 IP   flag post
After reading through things a bit more, I need to get some things straight. Uptight people are miffed that the Joker got magic preggers without a partner and their problem is it must be a bullet point on the LGBTQ+ agenda? Are you serious? Someone got pregnant With No Partner and the thing at issue is some vague gender/sexuality/??? rubbish. Let's think back on another time in the distant past when someone had a baby with no partner.

Here's what I'm trying to wrap my head around:

A certified loon (not certifiable, but actually certified) just barfed up THE MESSIAH and the thing that has people's panties in a bunch is whether or not someone thinks it's an LGBTQ+ thing.

... okay...
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
The world would be a better place if people just ignored the things they don’t like.

By the way, I’ve never wanted to read a Joker book until now.
Post 30 IP   flag post
619648 84 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?